Camshaft Position Sensor problem - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/23/2011, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse Spyder GT
LostSoul sucksLostSoul sucksLostSoul sucks
Camshaft Position Sensor problem

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem.

I have noticed a misfire and decided to check out what was causing it. I checked spark / air and fuel, and found no issues. Then I looked at my timing belt and saw that it was particularly loose. So I bought a new timing belt hydraulic tensioner, since I already changed the belt, pulleys and water pump, the tensioner concluded my maintenance. Once everything was back up and put together, I turned on the car. I still had that misfire. So I ran the car for a bit, and then it died out. Since air, spark and fuel were good, I immediately thought Crankshaft Position Sensor has gone bad, and hooked up a scanner and read that my Camshaft position sensor was throwing a code, P0340. So I looked at my sensor and found the wires were bent, cracked and exposed. I replaced the wires and now the car wont start. It turns over just fine, but just doesn't start. I checked for spark and there is none.

Weird thing is that I cannot find a camshaft positioning sensor for purchase. So what is my scanner talking about? And what does code P0340 truly mean?
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/23/2011, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: '03 6G75T, '98GSX, EVO IX
finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via Yahoo to finesse49ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem.

I have noticed a misfire and decided to check out what was causing it. I checked spark / air and fuel, and found no issues. Then I looked at my timing belt and saw that it was particularly loose. So I bought a new timing belt hydraulic tensioner, since I already changed the belt, pulleys and water pump, the tensioner concluded my maintenance. Once everything was back up and put together, I turned on the car. I still had that misfire. So I ran the car for a bit, and then it died out. Since air, spark and fuel were good, I immediately thought Crankshaft Position Sensor has gone bad, and hooked up a scanner and read that my Camshaft position sensor was throwing a code, P0340. So I looked at my sensor and found the wires were bent, cracked and exposed. I replaced the wires and now the car wont start. It turns over just fine, but just doesn't start. I checked for spark and there is none.

Weird thing is that I cannot find a camshaft positioning sensor for purchase. So what is my scanner talking about? And what does code P0340 truly mean?
The reason you can't find a camshaft position sensor for purchase is because it's built into the distributor. So now when shopping for a distributor make sure you get one for a 2002-2005, not a 2000-2001.

This is what I'm about: The 3G, 1998 GSX, EVO IX GSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin711 View Post
Whens the car going to be finished with the turbo and everything on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
Kevin: It'll be done when I'm done with it... ;)
finesse49ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/24/2011, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply fin, so you're saying to get that plug that goes down where my lower intake mani is, I would have to buy a brand new distributor? If that was the case, why in the hell would they make a separate plug for the sensor itself? This doesn't make sense. It has a plug in the engine bay named A, its a gray plug, thats the cam pos sensor right?

Where does that sensors wire, lead to? I traced it to the firewall. Might be wrong though.
Old 02/24/2011, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Thanks for the reply fin, so you're saying to get that plug that goes down where my lower intake mani is, I would have to buy a brand new distributor? If that was the case, why in the hell would they make a separate plug for the sensor itself? This doesn't make sense. It has a plug in the engine bay named A, its a gray plug, thats the cam pos sensor right?

Where does that sensors wire, lead to? I traced it to the firewall. Might be wrong though.
The knock sensor is the plug you're probably referring to, the camshaft position sensor on a V6 is built inside the distributor. Search the service manual or this forum if you don't believe me. You don't HAVE to buy a brand new distributor, you could buy a used one. Do another check on the crankshaft position sensor wiring because if that is somewhat messed up then it can cause your problem. If the crank wiring is fine then start preparing to get another dizzy. I have a used one which I believe is for a 2000-2001, I have to check to make sure. If you need one I'll sell it to you for cheap after I confirm it's functional.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 02/24/2011, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse49ers View Post
The knock sensor is the plug you're probably referring to, the camshaft position sensor on a V6 is built inside the distributor. Search the service manual or this forum if you don't believe me. You don't HAVE to buy a brand new distributor, you could buy a used one. Do another check on the crankshaft position sensor wiring because if that is somewhat messed up then it can cause your problem. If the crank wiring is fine then start preparing to get another dizzy. I have a used one which I believe is for a 2000-2001, I have to check to make sure. If you need one I'll sell it to you for cheap after I confirm it's functional.
I may be referring to it, I am not completely sure. All I know is, there are two plugs, one gray and one black, one has an A on it (gray) and the other B (black) The letter B plug, goes down to my crankshaft. The letter A plug, goes down to where my lower intake manifold is.

Also I went to AutoZone and they are saying that my eclipse has an independent cam pos sensor. Its a 2004 V6 engine.

So maybe this A plug is just coincidental, I may just have to replace those wires and buy a new cam pos sensor.
Old 02/24/2011, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Quote:
I may be referring to it, I am not completely sure. All I know is, there are two plugs, one gray and one black, one has an A on it (gray) and the other B (black) The letter B plug, goes down to my crankshaft. The letter A plug, goes down to where my lower intake manifold is.

Also I went to AutoZone and they are saying that my eclipse has an independent cam pos sensor. Its a 2004 V6 engine.

So maybe this A plug is just coincidental, I may just have to replace those wires and buy a new cam pos sensor.
Well all I know is the Camshaft Position Sensor is in the distributor, if it's faulty you'll need to replace the whole unit, plain and simple no getting around it. Forget what AutoZone told you and check to make sure your Crankshaft Position Sensor is fully functional.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 02/26/2011, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not to say you're wrong or put you on the spot, but this is just confusing the shit out of me...check this out: Master Pro Ignition 2-96116 - Camshaft Position Sensor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Camshaft Position Sensor | 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 Cylinders H 3.0L SFI | AutoZone.com

I am going to call the dealer and see what they say. I do also think nonetheless that it is in the distributor, hence I cannot see it anywhere.
Old 02/28/2011, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Fin, I bought a used distributor for 80 dollars shipped. Sure as hell beats 270 from autozone.

Their system is fucked up I guess, because obviously, these boards would know much more than autozone about our 3g's. So idk why they were pulling up an individual CMP / CPS sensors.

Once again, thanks Fin
Old 02/28/2011, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

No problem.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 02/28/2014, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

harre24 : who are you?
have a 04 eclipse gt 3.0l - changes timing belt, crank shaft sensor, tensioner water pump.
Car flood and would not start - took to a mechanic - they said it was main computer and MAF sensor they said crank shaft and cam shaft sensor were testing fine.
Charged 235 for information and didnt fix anything. Replaced MAF sensor - runs now but showing codes for Crank shaft sensor and also camshaft sensor. Since crankshaft sensor is new obviously not that.
at a loss. just throwing parts at it.
Thinking about trying a distributor.
any thoughts?????
harre24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.