2000 Eclipse GT V6 Gas Mileage (Horrible) - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03/03/2011, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Beredis : who are you?
2000 Eclipse GT V6 Gas Mileage (Horrible)

Hey all,
I have a 2000 Eclipse GT with the 3.0 V6. I just picked it up not too long ago and have done the following to it:
New spark plugs, new rotor, injector cleaner, air filter, oil, new cap.

The car came with these modifications:
-Cold air intake.
-Soma cat back Exhaust (I believe that's the brand).

I am getting 11 in the city and 15 on the highway (tested over 3 tanks of gas). I have no leaks and the car has an issue with the idle (fluttering) and acceleration when cold (after a few minutes the problems go away). The only thoughts I have on the matter is a possible bad o2 sensor??

When i replaced the spark plugs they were trashed. They were covered in black residue. The electrodes were also so worn out that I was shocked the car even ran with them. I figured that was the reason for the horrible mileage, however, it only increased mileage by 1-2 MPG.

The car runs good (or at least runs without any major issues) after warming up.

Any suggestions from anyone??
Beredis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03/03/2011, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 WRX
Got Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by all
Do you fill it with premium gas? Check engine light on?

My Old 2001 Eclipse
Got Rice Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I do use premium gas, the check engine light is not on.
Old 03/03/2011, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T
Centurin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okay
And I thought my mileage was bad.
Centurin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: 01 GT
Pace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by all
mine gets 200ish miles to a tank, i think my best since the swap was 230 miles ALL highway

Members Ride....Check it out
Pace187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 06:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 GT
Zero1GT : who are you?
hmm sounds like a issue somewhere, I get bout 250-275 to a tank city and just about 350 highway
Zero1GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Vehicle: 2001 spyder gs
scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beredis View Post
I do use premium gas, the check engine light is not on.
Does the light come on when you first start the car for a seconds? It should. If not, it means someone pulled the bulb before they sold it to you, to hide problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

you got questions? we got answers: http://tearstone.com/shop/Factory-Service-Manuals/
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JStew3G View Post
If you want it done right, follow scarr's advice 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob View Post
scarr's right
scarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Eclipse Spyder GTS
rc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regular
There are a couple of reasons that come to mind right away for poor fuel mileage. Besides the ones you've already covered, Fuel pressure regulator could be bad and causing a higher than normal pressure at the fuel rail. Another possible problem could be the temprature sender (not the gauge sensor) has gone bad and the computer is not entering closed loop operation because it doesn't know the engine has warmed up completely.
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_maniac View Post
There are a couple of reasons that come to mind right away for poor fuel mileage. Besides the ones you've already covered, Fuel pressure regulator could be bad and causing a higher than normal pressure at the fuel rail. Another possible problem could be the temprature sender (not the gauge sensor) has gone bad and the computer is not entering closed loop operation because it doesn't know the engine has warmed up completely.
There are even other things not mentioned such as:
Tire pressue
Alignment ( if you are toed out or in evenly you might not even feel a drift)
Leak in the tank/fillerneck/lines/bad gas cap
A heavy right foot
Lots of revving at lights (I.e. being a dousche)
Li
Letting it run for long periods of time, but going nowhere.
Stuff like that is minor but can add up.

you got questions? we got answers: http://tearstone.com/shop/Factory-Service-Manuals/
Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 03/03/2011, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr View Post
There are even other things not mentioned such as:
Tire pressue
Alignment ( if you are toed out or in evenly you might not even feel a drift)
Leak in the tank/fillerneck/lines/bad gas cap
A heavy right foot
Lots of revving at lights (I.e. being a dousche)
Li
Letting it run for long periods of time, but going nowhere.
Stuff like that is minor but can add up.

Li?
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
iMonster : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr View Post
Does the light come on when you first start the car for a seconds? It should. If not, it means someone pulled the bulb before they sold it to you, to hide problems.

Even if they didn't pull the bulb it might be burnt. take it to an orlieys or something and scan it, even if the light isn't on. an o2 sensor might be out i'm thinking because if it's out then it could make your fuel injectors pump more fuel in to the engine.
iMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: 01 GT
Pace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1GT View Post
hmm sounds like a issue somewhere, I get bout 250-275 to a tank city and just about 350 highway
im also running a 74 motor with a very aggressive tune

Members Ride....Check it out
Pace187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.
is it automatic or manual? because my automatic never got over 20mpg no matter how well i treated it. and last week i did a 300 mile ride in one day and got 29 mpg (mainly because i was tailing my buddies big bronco "draft") but i usually get 26 mpg on free way and about 22 mix streets and freeway. but i have an idle problem and an EGR problem which only act up when the car is cold.
russryda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

I did 190 miles on the highway yesterday and it took 11.9 gallons to fill back up (I filled up before I left, and when I returned) which comes out to 16 MPG. It was all highway, and all very conservative driving. In the city I got 190 miles to the entire tank (16 gallons) which comes out to 12 MPG.
Old 03/03/2011, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
iMonster : who are you?
again, go scan the car. some sort of code must be being thrown
iMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 03:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloosk View Post
Li?
Yep. Li. He is the 600 pound fat guy sitting in the OP's trunk ruining his gas mileage.

I have no clue where li came from.... must have been a strange typo.

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 03/03/2011, 07:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

So I had the car scanned, there is a code for MAF. Upon more investigation the previous owner had removed the check engine light as suggested above. MAF Malfunction. I cleaned it with MAF cleaner, we will see how it goes.
Old 03/03/2011, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Kimosabe

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GS-T
Masta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends here
Did you read the MAF Cleaner warnings?? A lot of them have warnings about using them on Mitsubishi MFAs.
Masta560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 07:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 gt eclipse
outrageousgt : who are you?
Yea theres something terribly wrong there ... i get 320-350 MPT on average....
outrageousgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 08:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Vehicle: 00 Gt 04 V 99 Gsxr600
BlackoutGT65 : who are you?BlackoutGT65 : who are you?BlackoutGT65 : who are you?BlackoutGT65 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1GT View Post

i only get like 225-250 with a mix of city and highway...lucky
BlackoutGT65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 08:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beredis View Post
So I had the car scanned, there is a code for MAF. Upon more investigation the previous owner had removed the check engine light as suggested above. MAF Malfunction. I cleaned it with MAF cleaner, we will see how it goes.
just for the hell of it... can post a pic of your engine bay? (since the original owner futzed with the car.. he may have put the MAF in backwards, and since you recieved the car like that, you would not know that it is backwards.)

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 03/08/2011, 12:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03/09/2011, 03:14 AM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse Spyder GT
LostSoul sucksLostSoul sucksLostSoul sucks
Nope, it is not backwards.

Use the Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner, sold at autozone, it is safe for our cars.

If it wasn't your MAF sensor, I would say o2 sensor, is malfunctioning. Or a clogged cat.
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/26/2012, 02:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
2000 EclipseGT owner

TheBlurrr : who are you?
Yeah, my 2000 gt is also giving me poor milage. I think I'm averaging about 13mi/gallon, most of which are highway. But I have a cracked windshield, two back tires are bald, and have a check engine light on, I think its an EGR code. I just replaced oil, caps n rotors, sparks and wires. Anybody know what could be my issue here?
TheBlurrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/26/2012, 02:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Dexie

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
Kscarlett420 : who are you?Kscarlett420 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Kscarlett420
what codes? if its an EGR problem and you're going through gas it could be the solenoid. I have an 02 gt V6 and my engine is lacking in power and I'm going through gas insanely. I replaced everything from the plugs, wires, and the whole egr system.. all thats left is my exhaust. I hope that helps you out
Old 04/26/2012, 03:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
2000 EclipseGT owner

TheBlurrr : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscarlett420 View Post
what codes? if its an EGR problem and you're going through gas it could be the solenoid. I have an 02 gt V6 and my engine is lacking in power and I'm going through gas insanely. I replaced everything from the plugs, wires, and the whole egr system.. all thats left is my exhaust. I hope that helps you out
Oh ok, yeah every mechanic I've been too tells me it could be the EGR solenoid, so that could be it. But oddly enough none if them showed me a specific code. Thanks a lot for the input, as soon as I can get the money ill find an honest mechanic and replace the solenoid and hope that it fixes my problem.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
TheBlurrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/27/2012, 11:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Sbbild : who are you?
I just estimated cause I think I might of had an O2 sensor out.. but I got about 21mpg V6-Auto.. Mixture of highway/city. Just changed ALL the fluids and treated the fuel at about 150 miles in..
Sbbild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/27/2012, 07:26 PM   #28 (permalink)

Vehicle: GT and GS Spyder Turbo
j0rg3 : who are you?j0rg3 : who are you?
I can see on the picture the oem pcv valve,maybe the one that came with the car from the dealer. replace that pcv for a new one.

It's only like 3 bucks
j0rg3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.