crazy idle and bad cold start surge - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03/03/2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

lostprotocol : who are you?
crazy idle and bad cold start surge

hello everybody. i have a 2001 gt auto. ive had major problems in the past with this car and has costed me all the money ive ever made in my life lol. starting with the engine, and ending with the transmission.

so now that everything is working again after stacks of money... im just going to ask simple questions because im just thankful for my car to be taking me places. and i have done plenty of reading on this website and even other websites to learn for my self, because as i see it there is no better mechanic than the driver! and i believe its true.

my mods? a simple SRI.

my problems? my idle drops from normal idle down to almost stalling and in retaliation the engine shoots up rpms to keep it alive, then drops back down to normal and after a few seconds does the same exact thing. stalling DOES occur. also related to this is a horrible surge when driving with the engine not warmed up enough.

i dont understand how it takes like 20 minutes for this surge to finally go away but when it does its gone and doesnt come back until the next day's cold start. however the other problem i stated about the idle dropping to want to stall happens whether the car is warm or not, at stops like red lights, the car will for sure stall and always stalls. maybe not the first time it tries stalling but it doesnt fail to stall.

solutions i have tried:
due to problems in the past, everything has been done including all seals, all forms of tuneups, new transmission, i mean, everything you can possibly think of.

possible causes of these idle and coldstart problems:

my IAC needs to be replaced. i have taken it out and cleaned it not like it was dirty to start with but i did it anyways. i will change it when i have the money for it but for now even though i know this is the idle problem, im going to have to stick with it.

also maybe to do with the idle, i may have gapped few of the sparkplugs wrong as in, messed up the tip with the gapping tool. changing plugs one day just for the fun of it and see if it helps.

cold start idle surge:

after reading here and on other websites, i just can NOT figure this one out. for about 15 minutes of driving or not driving, until the car is COMPLETELY warm, its this horrible surging feeling.

for example: driving with the surge at a steady rpm, even at high rpm but in low gear, the engine will push and letgo, push and again let go. over and over. throughout the whole time trying to stay in a low gear and high rpm to try and make it go away. doesnt work. but once the car is warm there is no surge at all what so ever and runs perfect. although there is that stalling idle problem.

i just want to know more about this cold start surge and see if theres anything i can do about it. the iac would have nothing to do with the surge because the iac only works with idle. and the surge happens when im idle or NOT idling. such as being in high rpms purposely, it will still surge. but once warm goes away completely.
lostprotocol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03/03/2011, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.russryda is as useful as a bag of dicks.
i have that same problem atleast it sounds the same. anyway check engine light? my problem is with the EGR solenoid but its not the solenoid that is broken its the ECM not giving it enought power instead of 12v it send 3v so im replacing the ECM but still have failed to get it flashed.
russryda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2011, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

sorry, i get no CEL. if i did it would have been in the title im pretty sure your battle is with the egr, mines is something else.

oh by the way i used carb cleaner on the throttle body, cleaned my egr's, cleaned MAF, cleaned IAC, cleaned some vac ports... although nothing is really dirty. i dont have carbon build up anywhere except for the intake manifold. deep deep in there, when i went to change my plugs i noticed.
Old 03/05/2011, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

i wonder why im not getting any replies. :\
Old 03/05/2011, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Vehicle: '02 gt
ltd needs to be reminded to breathe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostprotocol View Post
i wonder why im not getting any replies. :\
this question has been asked many times and answered.

however not everyone fixed their problems due to it was not the same part that needed to be fixed or replaced.

i'm one of them people who have not yet fixed the problem.
Old 03/05/2011, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

i couldnt find any answer to the cold start surge. if you found it please point me? please? i got headaches searching for the answer...
Old 03/05/2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Quote:
i couldnt find any answer to the cold start surge. if you found it please point me? please? i got headaches searching for the answer...
i have the same problem as you do. i can't find what part is cuasing this.

mine started when i took my dashboard out and paintted it but, was not able to reinstall it for about 2 weeks due to we been through a hurricane and had more important things to do first.

my battery was not connected for 2 weeks so, if i'm correct, it could be my ecu.

so far, i changed my MAF, IAC, spark plugs, coil, rotor, wires and some solenoid that i can't remember the name of it right now.

i checked my vacuum lines for damage.

as you can see it could be alot of things that may cuase this problem.

Last edited by ltd; 03/05/2011 at 08:44 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/06/2011, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

yea buddy im with u on this. i dont have the slightest clue. weird how taking your dash apart and having your battery disconnected would have this kind of effect. what was the reason for taking your dash apart if you dont mind me asking?
Old 03/06/2011, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse Spyder GT
LostSoul sucksLostSoul sucksLostSoul sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
i have the same problem as you do. i can't find what part is cuasing this.

mine started when i took my dashboard out and paintted it but, was not able to reinstall it for about 2 weeks due to we been through a hurricane and had more important things to do first.

my battery was not connected for 2 weeks so, if i'm correct, it could be my ecu.

so far, i changed my MAF, IAC, spark plugs, coil, rotor, wires and some solenoid that i can't remember the name of it right now.

i checked my vacuum lines for damage.

as you can see it could be alot of things that may cuase this problem.
Didnt know our cars had a coil....
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/06/2011, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lostprotocol:

My car is also doing the cold start engine surge, except until its fully warm, it feels like it intermittently misfires. I took a look a my spark plugs last night, and saw that oil was getting into my spark plug tubes, it wasn't getting on the plugs themselves, but it was there. So, I will be replacing my tube seals, in hopes of fixing this problem.

Possible solution for your idle:

*Check for any vacuum leaks
*Check your BISS screw and make sure its properly adjusted
*Test your TPS, it should be less than 1 volt at closed throttle and I believe 5 at WOT, if those values aren't correct, you have a bad TPS
*This might be a long shot, but check if any of your cat converters are possibly clogged.
*Check all of your sensor connections, making sure none are corroded and are properly and tightly connected.
*Check all of your grounds

Well, hope I helped.
Old 03/07/2011, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Lostprotocol:

My car is also doing the cold start engine surge, except until its fully warm, it feels like it intermittently misfires. I took a look a my spark plugs last night, and saw that oil was getting into my spark plug tubes, it wasn't getting on the plugs themselves, but it was there. So, I will be replacing my tube seals, in hopes of fixing this problem.

Possible solution for your idle:

*Check for any vacuum leaks
*Check your BISS screw and make sure its properly adjusted
*Test your TPS, it should be less than 1 volt at closed throttle and I believe 5 at WOT, if those values aren't correct, you have a bad TPS
*This might be a long shot, but check if any of your cat converters are possibly clogged.
*Check all of your sensor connections, making sure none are corroded and are properly and tightly connected.
*Check all of your grounds

Well, hope I helped.

yes, you did. and about your tube seals, its not that because i had those and my valve cover gaskets changed. i have no engine oil leaks anywhere on the face of earth lol. im dying to do the big 4, and i dont really know how to check my cat. if u wana let me know how thats done, ill give it a check. about my tps, i wouldnt know. if yours is fine then mines is also. funny diagnosis but its true as we have the same problem with the cold starts. i recently had a problem with my idle even when warm and it would shut off on me at red lights, messing with the biss screw helped only because one of my mechanics messed with that and never put it back in place. i been messing with it every day to fine tune it and now it doesnt shut off on me anymore. yay right?
Old 03/07/2011, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
yes, you did. and about your tube seals, its not that because i had those and my valve cover gaskets changed. i have no engine oil leaks anywhere on the face of earth lol. im dying to do the big 4, and i dont really know how to check my cat. if u wana let me know how thats done, ill give it a check. about my tps, i wouldnt know. if yours is fine then mines is also. funny diagnosis but its true as we have the same problem with the cold starts. i recently had a problem with my idle even when warm and it would shut off on me at red lights, messing with the biss screw helped only because one of my mechanics messed with that and never put it back in place. i been messing with it every day to fine tune it and now it doesnt shut off on me anymore. yay right?
Right on. Well, my TPS was off actually, and my fluctuating idle is now fixed.

To check the cat, just disconnect your cat under the car and see if the car runs better. Then check the header cats.
Old 03/07/2011, 02:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Quote:
yea buddy im with u on this. i dont have the slightest clue. weird how taking your dash apart and having your battery disconnected would have this kind of effect. what was the reason for taking your dash apart if you dont mind me asking?
i repaired the cracks and paintted it.

Quote:
Didnt know our cars had a coil....
you know what i meant
Old 03/07/2011, 02:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Quote:
Lostprotocol:*This might be a long shot, but check if any of your cat converters are possibly clogged.
now you have me wondering if something blew in my pipes cuase after the hurricane came is when i started having this problem.

so now it's either becuase i let it sit for 2 weeks without the battery or something blew in there
Old 03/08/2011, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Beredis : who are you?
What are you getting for gas mileage?
Beredis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/08/2011, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
now you have me wondering if something blew in my pipes cuase after the hurricane came is when i started having this problem.

so now it's either becuase i let it sit for 2 weeks without the battery or something blew in there
Like I said, long shot, but very possible.
Old 03/09/2011, 07:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Quote:
Like I said, long shot, but very possible.
at this point i have my car stripped and about to paint it. so, i can't really work under the hood or under the car. when i work on my pipes i wait till i go to san antonio, texas cuase my uncle has a muffler shop there and i use his pipe benders and lifts. i have individual pipes for each head and for me to get to them i would need his lift due to how we ran them. we did them in a hurry ( cuase i was leaving the next day back to florida ) so, we didn't put the flange clamps nor flange the pipes. we welded them everything together.
Old 03/14/2011, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT V6
stylez315 can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
Not to come off topic. But I have the same problem the fluctuating idle.I have an 02 eclipse sporttonic as well. Where is tue biss screw located?thanks for the help ahead of time.
stylez315 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/14/2011, 05:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

it's located on top of your tb.

When You open the hood you should be starting right at it.
Old 03/16/2011, 02:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

have you fixed the problem yet ?
Old 08/10/2012, 02:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

a year later

a year later, same dam problem. it never got fixed. however, I dont know if i mentioned but i changed my MAF and the car is running wayyyyy, i mean wayyyy better. im sure its from spraying carb cleaner on it so much. learn from this and DONT DO IT lol... once or twice is ok i guess...

so i still have the horrific cold starts and now im having MORE issues... these cars are like newborn babies with no immune system! you have to keep it in the hospital (car garage) and keep feeding it drugs to keep it alive! (keep fixing it)

i have not replaced the TPS or IAC since ive bought the car, neither have i touched the o2 sensors. i believe im going to have to do it some day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.