car won't start, code points to crankshaft position sensor - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/10/2011, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hunter S : who are you?
car won't start, code points to crankshaft position sensor

I have an 01 Spyder Eclipse thus that is not starting. First, the battery dies from me leaving the doors unlocked (cabin light left on). After several attempts to jump the car with cables, I decided to just replace the battery. This did not start the car either. I then removed the starter and tested it at my local parts store where it worked fine. With the starter in my car, starting it only produces a single click.

I recently used an OBD 2 codereader, with the starter out, and it read only one code (P0335) which points to the crankshaft position sensor. Getting to the sensor is a little bit of work with taking off the serpentine belt and power steering pump, etc so I would like to double check that it could be this problem.

My only issue is that how come only when the battery died, did the sensor (or some other issue) become faulty or was it merely just a coincidence?

-Hunter
Hunter S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/10/2011, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T
Centurin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okay
Do you just get a single click or does it turn over but not start? When the CPS went out on my 95 Stratus, the car would crank, but not start.
Centurin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/10/2011, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: '03 6G75T, '98GSX, EVO IX
finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via Yahoo to finesse49ers
Coincidence most likely. I've had that happen as well. That will happen when you keep trying to crank it. The culprit is probably alternator related.

This is what I'm about: The 3G, 1998 GSX, EVO IX GSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin711 View Post
Whens the car going to be finished with the turbo and everything on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
Kevin: It'll be done when I'm done with it... ;)
finesse49ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/10/2011, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hunter S : who are you?
All it gave (if anything) was a single click.... but thanks finesse49ers, I am going to see whether testing the alternator would be less time-consuming than going for the sensor. I probably should just get in there and replace water pump, serpentine belt and check the timing belt while I'm at it!
Hunter S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/10/2011, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Spyder GT Convertable
eclipse_01 suckseclipse_01 suckseclipse_01 sucks
Send a message via AIM to eclipse_01 Send a message via Yahoo to eclipse_01
Did any check engine light come on? If so, your main cause could be the sensor because you was able to pull a code which means that your problem is electornically related. Check all of your connectors and connections of the sensors and wires along the harness before preceeding forward. If all of your connections are bad then its more then likely that the CPS was overloaded and became faulty. You found the problem when doing the diagnostic test and pulling the code.
eclipse_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/04/2011, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
You did what?

Vehicle: 2005 VDub Jetta GLI
Dj_Bann : who are you?Dj_Bann : who are you?Dj_Bann : who are you?Dj_Bann : who are you?Dj_Bann : who are you?
Don't mean to hijack and bump an almost 2 month old thread, but I am having the same problem. I've replaced the CPS, car still has a hard time starting (car does crank, takes a bit of effort to get it to start). Now I know finesse49ers said it could be the alternator (haven't replaced ever since I've owned the car), which makes me lead to something that may be a bit off-topic. My temp gauge raises when I turn on headlights, turn up the volume on my car stereo, turn signal. Could all of this lead to a bad alternator?

Note: Replaced the battery about a year ago, also replaced the starter last month.
Dj_Bann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/24/2011, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

windycity6 : who are you?
same problem just a single click when i try to start it, if you hold it a buzzing sound comes from the starter. any help?
windycity6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/23/2012, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Spyder GT
Ericsmiller88 needs to be reminded to breathe.
i have an 01 spyder gt and my car died on me one day and wouldnt start but would crank...i later found out my cps wire got snipped from rubbing on my timing belt. i fixed the wire and it started right up
Ericsmiller88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/27/2013, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse
2000 eclipse : who are you?
Ericsmiller88 were is that wire located in having the same problem
2000 eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/27/2013, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dmcponstee

Vehicle: 2001 mitsu eclipse GT
Devilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okay
Re: car won't start, code points to crankshaft position sensor

timing, belt slip...
Devilmcponste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/27/2013, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dmcponstee

Vehicle: 2001 mitsu eclipse GT
Devilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okayDevilmcponste seems to be okay
Re: car won't start, code points to crankshaft position sensor

has anyone double checked their timing marks?
Devilmcponste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.