Using polyurethane inserts vs oem motor mounts - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06/09/2011, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
3G oh so good

Vehicle: 02 Eclipse GS
islstl : who are you?
Using polyurethane inserts vs oem motor mounts

Anybody have any experience using prothane brand inserts?

My mechanic said I would be wasting my time and the vibration would be horrific and the inserts would only last a few months. That was his experience dealing with inserts. Not specifically these I don't think. He said the ones he dealt with were made in India.

The cost differential is huge... 43 bucks for the entire set of inserts vs nearly 300 for oem mounts.

Thoughts?
6.5" Phoenix Gold Components
Kenwood Amp KAC-748 (Bridged 100Wx2 to PG Components)
Stock rear speakers + 5 1/4 JBLs driven by stock amp
Xpress RC Color Display XM Radio
islstl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06/09/2011, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T
Centurin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okayCenturin seems to be okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by islstl View Post
Thoughts?
I think your mechanic is a moron. Poly mounts will outlast stock. There will be a slight vibration increase at idle, but it is more noticeable on the V6.
Centurin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/09/2011, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Autocrosser

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
j2870 : who are you?
Yes and also keep in mind these are polyurethane inserts, not complete mounts. You will need to press the rubber out of the old mounts to install them. The new oem mounts come with the bracket and everything to bolt it up. That is why they are more expensive.
j2870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/09/2011, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
HRT

HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
Your mechanic is probably thinking of different parts that were meant for a cheap/quick fix... besides doesn't Prothane have a lifetime warranty on defects?

Although (I haven't used these) I do wonder how much/if any extra vibration there would be. Enough to cause other parts to fail? Or barely noticable?

[edit] Through some random searches, it seems poly mounts can cause the dashboard to crack?! Here's one message: Am I the only one with a cracked dash? ?

Last edited by HRT; 06/09/2011 at 01:18 PM.
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/09/2011, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurin View Post
I think your mechanic is a moron. Poly mounts will outlast stock. There will be a slight vibration increase at idle, but it is more noticeable on the V6.

The guys with the GS and RS 4's are the ones complaining of vibration with the Polyurethane inserts...

But in my experience if you have a smooth idle as experienced from the engine bay (not the cabin with stock mounts) you will still have a tolerable idle in the cabin with The Prothain brand mounts provided you install them properly but be forewarned most of the 4's don't idle smoothly.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/09/2011, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fuck salt.

Vehicle: 2005 Race Camry
JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.
Send a message via AIM to JermTheElf Send a message via Skype™ to JermTheElf
If you have an auto, just don't install the rear mount. Fix all cracks in the dash before you install them too. Otherwise, install them and enjoy.

You can enjoy your straightaways; I prefer the turns.
JermTheElf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/09/2011, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Eclipse Spyder Gt
MitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermTheElf View Post
If you have an auto, just don't install the rear mount. Fix all cracks in the dash before you install them too. Otherwise, install them and enjoy.
Does this go for the v6 auto too?

Just make sure you sleeve them tight
MitsubishiOwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/09/2011, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fuck salt.

Vehicle: 2005 Race Camry
JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.
Send a message via AIM to JermTheElf Send a message via Skype™ to JermTheElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiOwn View Post
Does this go for the v6 auto too?

Just make sure you sleeve them tight

I don't believe so. V6's tend to have less noticeable idle vibration. To be safe you could always not install the rear.

You can enjoy your straightaways; I prefer the turns.
JermTheElf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/10/2011, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
3G oh so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
The guys with the GS and RS 4's are the ones complaining of vibration with the Polyurethane inserts...

But in my experience if you have a smooth idle as experienced from the engine bay (not the cabin with stock mounts) you will still have a tolerable idle in the cabin with The Prothain brand mounts provided you install them properly but be forewarned most of the 4's don't idle smoothly.
I have a GS 4 cylinder.

I just got a replacement engine with 66 k miles that idles sweet at roughly 625 or so. Not sure what constitutes a "smooth" idle but I would say this is the best my engine has sounded since it was first purchased.
Old 06/10/2011, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
3G oh so good

2 of the mounts cost under 35 bucks. So I am thinking of getting those through Mitsubishi. The other 2 run at or above 100. My mechanic said I can ride out the rear one (the most expensive one) but the one near the overflow tank needs to be replaced and that one is 97 bucks.
Old 06/10/2011, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
3G oh so good

Found a dealership in NC with the website oediscountparts.com that is about 30 percent less.

Front and Rear are going for only $25 each and the one near the timing belt is only $72 and approximately only $10 to ship (vs the same amount I would have had to pay in taxes locally through my dealership.
Old 06/10/2011, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pissed

Vehicle: '08 350Z Touring
zakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends here
Poly mount on the front, OEM mounts for the other three. This set-up completely gets rid of the wheel hop on hard starts and the increase in vibration is barely noticeable. I loved my car after I set it up that way. AGX KYB suspension and some slightly wider wheels (O-Z Racing Ultraleggera) made it even better. I still wonder sometimes why I got rid of the Eclipse. It was comfortable as all hell compared to my 350Z, but then, I'm just another fat lazy American.

zakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/10/2011, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

Vehicle: stuff
chavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to chavezeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to chavezeclipse
i did 3, not the rear and my motor doesn't move at all and there is no vibration at all. only when shifting it can be a little hard but properly synched shifts help with that
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
battery relocated to trunk
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

chavezeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/10/2011, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: '03 6G75T, '98GSX, EVO IX
finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via Yahoo to finesse49ers
6G74 using all 4 prothanes, no issues.

This is what I'm about: The 3G, 1998 GSX, EVO IX GSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin711 View Post
Whens the car going to be finished with the turbo and everything on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
Kevin: It'll be done when I'm done with it... ;)
finesse49ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/10/2011, 06:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Vehicle: 3g eclipse gs-t & v-6 n/a
elgato's4g64t : who are you?
have em in my gs-t, although i only used prothane on all but the rear.. i have no issues or complaints..
elgato's4g64t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/10/2011, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
iMonster : who are you?
I have prothanes all the way around on my GT manual. I did slam it in 2nd at 45 though and didn't give it any gas so there's a slight squeak in mine, but Summit Racing (where i ordered my set from) replaces them at no cost to me (other than shipping). Lifetime Warranty ftw.
iMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/15/2011, 10:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
HRT

HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post

Do you think the guys that had their dash's crack after putting in all poly mounts might be all 4cyls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmartin View Post
Poly mount on the front, OEM mounts for the other three. This set-up completely gets rid of the wheel hop on hard starts and the increase in vibration is barely noticeable. I loved my car after I set it up that way.
Thanks for that info, I was thinking about doing the same thing on my v6 but didn't know if it would over-stress the front mount's brackets/bolts (especially since its an aluminum bracket). And of course I never thought about the dash cracking until I did a search. If my new front oem/rubber mount tears (and from its poor design, it certainly will) I'll put the poly one in its place.
Old 06/18/2011, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GT
Newmanfan : who are you?
I'm just curious if there are other options besides the OEM or Prothane inserts?

I don't think I would want to deal with the harshness of the inserts (my car is a daily driver), but would want something that might be better and more reliable than the OEM mounts.

I noticed Beck Arnley makes mounts for our cars. How do these compare to the OEM as far as reliability?
Newmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/18/2011, 10:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Vehicle: RIP: 03 GT 5-speed
3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?
I would say do prothane. I also have an 03 GT, 5 spd, and I replaced all my mounts with OEM replacements and its helped the shaking and shuddering and made it much smoother, But its still sometimes shakey and I can hear the engine shift around, as I can see the front OEM replacement is already looking fairly worn, and Im now going to switch to prothane for the front and passenger mounts. Wish I would have gotten them prothane in the first place. And as far as I know the beck arnley are oem comparable, they are not an upgrade from stock.
3Gspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/19/2011, 07:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
HRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanfan View Post
I don't think I would want to deal with the harshness of the inserts (my car is a daily driver), but would want something that might be better and more reliable than the OEM mounts.
Like 3Gspeed said, the Beck Arnley's are OEM design. The OEM design is the problem here- for your GT, on the front mount (by V6 timing cover), it's not a bolt going through a solid circle of rubber. OEM only has rubber at the top- the center bolt "hangs down" through the top half of rubber. The bottom half of rubber = isn't there (never was from OEM). So that center bolt is free to flex down (and back up)- and eventually tears. You should be able to find a picture at rockauto.com or on other store/parts websites. The Prothane insert replacement is a solid circle (of poly) that will fix the tearing problem.

(edit: A solid circle of rubber would also fix the tearing problem on the GT/v6 front mount- but you would have to find another car with the same size insert, press it out, press it into the Eclipse mount, lots of research for that one b/c as far as I've seen, nobody's done it...)

Last edited by HRT; 06/19/2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06/19/2011, 08:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 Stratus RT
DIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFODIRTYWILL2001 Really needs to MTFO
you could fill the rest of the oem insert with some windo-weld.

http://tech.mirage-performance.com/enginemounts.html

Last edited by DIRTYWILL2001; 06/19/2011 at 09:00 AM.
DIRTYWILL2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.