AC Compressor replacement - What other parts are needed, if any? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/20/2011, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

irmerm : who are you?
AC Compressor replacement - What other parts are needed, if any?

I am getting ready to replace the AC compressor on my 03 GT and I am trying to determine what other parts (if any) I should replace at the same time. I've read about replacing the drier, but it's built into the condenser and I wasn't really planning on spending another $100 on a new condenser.
irmerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/21/2011, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone?
Old 07/21/2011, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

bueller?
Old 07/21/2011, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Vehicle: 05 Eclipse Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Belt, any rusting lines, new freeon. So forth..

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

One of the best 3G answers ever.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/21/2011, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

belt is new, lines are fine from a cosmetic standpoint. Will be purchasing compressor oil and freon, but was just wondering about what the risk is of other system parts having been negatively impacted by the compressor failure.
Old 07/21/2011, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Vehicle: 05 Eclipse Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Define failure? Did it explode? If so fragments of parts could clog up the lines and so forth. Causing cooling issues.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

One of the best 3G answers ever.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/21/2011, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 GTS 3.6L 6g74
GSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okay
The drier is inside the condenser yes but you can still replace it without having to replace the condenser. It look like a large nut on the tube part of the condenser on the drivers side. Open up the large nut. I think it was a 22 or 24mm and it is a dececant sp? bag like thing in there. They are cheap and if your compressor let go internally then I am sure it is full of crap and needs to be replaced.
GSXROFDFW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/21/2011, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

The compressor did pretty much 'explode'. It was knocking for a while and then went with a big bang. I checked it out and it's got a nice fat crack down the side of the body. I'm thinking at this point I will open the lines and blow them out with some compressed air. Depending on what comes out, I'll try to decide whether lots of pieces got into the lines.
Old 07/21/2011, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

GSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okayGSXROFDFW seems to be okay
Driers are cheap. Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again when it will cost you more. Plus your a/c will work better. The drier is like the filter of the a/c system. The first time is always bad enough. Going back to do something a second times sucks.
Old 07/21/2011, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

so where would I get a new drier? I didn't see it available separately from the condenser (at least at Autozone). Ideas?
Old 07/21/2011, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nevermind, I see now. I was thinking the drier was on the side of the condenser. This is what I found on the Autozone site and I'll definitely replace it..

Old 07/21/2011, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Everco/A/C Receiver Drier (83124) | 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 Cylinders H 3.0L SFI | AutoZone.com
I used 03 GTS cuz that is what I have. It was under reciever/drier #83124

It is just a bag $15.99. The screw that comes out looks like the shiny metal thing on the far left of that pic. Comes with new o-ring and whole nine yards. There will be a ton of black nasty crap in your old one when you pull it out. I removed my condenser and flushed it with some stuff made especially for flushing a/c systems and got a ton of crud out.
Old 07/21/2011, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I think I will flush the condenser also, since it's directly downstream of the compressor.
Old 07/23/2011, 01:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 GT
mits00b : who are you?
This is taken from the maintenance section. You may be particularly interested in the highlighted info:

Quote:
Before opening up the A/C system, take the vehicle to a garage and have them evacuate the system of all refrigerant. DO NOT vent the refrigerant in to the atmosphere. R-134a does not damage the Ozone layer like R-12 does, but R-134a is about 100 times more potent of a greenhouse gas than Carbon Dioxide.

Once the system has been evacuated, remove the output hose from the compressor, It is the smaller one. Look inside of it. If metal shavings or flakes can be seen stuck to the walls of the tubing, a replacement Compressor and Condenser Core will be needed. The Receiver/Drier is built in to the Condenser Core and cannot be replaced separately. Do not skimp on the Condenser Core. Failure to replace it after a catastrophic Compressor failure will only destroy the new Compressor. It is also recommended to replace the Expansion Valve, since it may be clogged with debris as well.

If any parts are replaced, be sure to add compressor oil to the new part. Mitsubishi calls for PAG 56, but it is not available except from the dealer, the closest grade is PAG 46. A Compressor holds 100 mL, although sometimes it comes pre-filled, check anyways. A Condenser Core holds about 15 mL of oil.
mits00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/23/2011, 09:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

I did see a lot of dirty crap inside the line coming out of the compressor and flushed it. I also replaced the guts of the drier and flushed out the condenser with some ac flushy stuff. The new (used, bought on eBay for $85) compressor is doing well, except that I still have a leak in the system somewhere. So now I get to bust out my UV lamp and go leak hunting.
Old 02/11/2013, 06:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

deuce0515 : who are you?
Is process same for 2001 GS?

My compressor starting making a horrible rattling sound. I removed the belts and confirmed the culprit was the compressor. Now I am searching the forums to determine if this is a job I can do myself. I appreciate the information in this thread, just curious if there are any additional steps or otherwise to replace the compressor on a 2001 GS?

Currently the car is in my garage with the belt off. It's drivable, but without power steering. I'm tempted to replace the compressor myself just want to confirm all the parts I will need.

Can someone confirm that you can replace the drier on a 01 GS without replacing the entire condensor?

Also, if I replace the parts myself, will an AC shop having any issues vacuuming and/or recharging the system if I bring the car to them?

Thanks
deuce0515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/13/2013, 02:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

deuce0515 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce0515 View Post
My compressor starting making a horrible rattling sound. I removed the belts and confirmed the culprit was the compressor. Now I am searching the forums to determine if this is a job I can do myself. I appreciate the information in this thread, just curious if there are any additional steps or otherwise to replace the compressor on a 2001 GS?

Currently the car is in my garage with the belt off. It's drivable, but without power steering. I'm tempted to replace the compressor myself just want to confirm all the parts I will need.

Can someone confirm that you can replace the drier on a 01 GS without replacing the entire condensor?

Also, if I replace the parts myself, will an AC shop having any issues vacuuming and/or recharging the system if I bring the car to them?

Thanks
deuce0515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/13/2013, 02:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
I have a brand-new GT compressor for sale in the marketplace if you need one.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/automoti...ew-gt-gts.html

Go take a look...lotsa photos, and I can take more if you need them.
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.