2.4L 4 cylinder - Cam and crank pos. sensor problems - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10/10/2011, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

sheervelocity : who are you?
2.4L 4 cylinder - Cam and crank pos. sensor problems

2000 2.4L 4 cyl Manual Tran
Was driving and the car died, wouldn't start back up seemed like just wasn't getting fuel or spark. Turns out the fuel pump wasnt getting power. After taking it out and putting power to it turns out it worked. Noticed I was getting 12V out of one of the wires that should have been a ground under the fuel pump relay. Grounded it, fuel pump runs.

Car still wouldnt start, checked spark plug wires, no spark, no power. Fuel steadily running behind fuel rail but plugs are bone dry.
I read the MFI relay supplies power to both injectors and coils so thought I was good but relay seems fine. Also read ECU plays a part, hopefully dont have to pull that.

I got the P0340 and the P0335 codes for the cam and crank position sensors. I was hoping maybe just the chip in the key failed.

The 2.4 appears to not have a distributor (read in other thread that was the fix) and manual says the sensors are in the timing belt cover, which looks ****ing impossible to remove. Trying to find the cam and crank connectors for testing, hope i don't have to rip it apart to replace the sensors, looks like you pretty much have to pull the engine.

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited by sheervelocity; 10/10/2011 at 11:58 AM.
sheervelocity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/10/2011, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Update, tested power on the cam and crank power connectors.

Cam pos. sensor connector was getting ~6V with the ignition ON, which is close the book's 4-5V range.

EDIT: Crank pos. sensor connector is getting 6V supplied with the ignition ON (that is the no 1 pin) and with someone cranking i got a V change of 0.1-0.2 V (this time I held the multimeter).

Does anyone know what the exact Voltage change it is supposed to read when crankin? Once again this is the crankshaft pos sensor connector 3 pins

Last edited by sheervelocity; 10/10/2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10/10/2011, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Update, crank pos sensor on C-60 harness term 89, plugging into the ECM, is getting the proper 5V it should be getting. Is there still a possibility the ECM is malfunctioning?
Is it possible my immobilizer just decided to shut me off?
Old 10/10/2011, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Did the timing belt break?
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/10/2011, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Haven't done a compression test yet but sounds possible cause I heard a *poof* when car died didn't know whether it was mechanical or electrical, will do one in morning and post back.
Would a broken or skipped timing belt prevent fuel from shooting out the injectors? And stop spark? And weird because the fuel pump died when the car died
Old 10/10/2011, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Yes, no spark or fuel if the belt broke. It would sound different when cranking also, it would sound like it's cranking a little faster than normal.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/10/2011, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok thanks for the reply will be first order of the day.

Something of note since I grounded the wire of the fuel pump it runs nonstop, so must've overrode the fuel pressure shutoff switch. Obviously can't leave it like that but now that i think of it, is on a different circuit than the mfi anyway.
Old 10/12/2011, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey thanks man, that was it. No compression, pulled the rocker cover and timing belt was annihilated.

Hope this helps others with this same problem

Apparently can't post pics up w/o a url, but they are a site to see

Last edited by sheervelocity; 10/13/2011 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.