Ticking noise in engine bay - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10/28/2011, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT Turbo'd
kyle920 : who are you?
Ticking noise in engine bay

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows or have any ideas on what this noise could be?

Video won't embed, not sure why?

Oil is full (although not changed in a while)
kyle920 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/29/2011, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

bump
Old 10/29/2011, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 WRX
Got Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by all
Honestly, it sounds like lifter tick, which is very common in mitsubishi engine's.

I'd change the oil if it's been awhile. What kind of oil are you using?

My Old 2001 Eclipse
Got Rice Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/29/2011, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Vehicle: '13 Wrx
Tx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wide
That's a little on the loud side for the usual lifter tick...
Old 10/29/2011, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 WRX
Got Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx4Codeman View Post
That's a little on the loud side for the usual lifter tick...
You would be surprised, this was mine before.

My Old 2001 Eclipse
Got Rice Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2011, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse RS
andrzejluko : who are you?andrzejluko : who are you?
Send a message via Skype™ to andrzejluko
I have a similar sound, my buddy thinks it's a lifter tick, I notice that it gets louder near my time to change the oil and gets quieter after I put in fresh oil. That usually works for me...I did some searching and found an article on it, that I have yet to try so I won't vouch for it yet, but I've been looking into it.

"On the 3.5 and (I believe) the 3.0 V6's as well, there is a device in the valve train called a valve lash adjuster (VLA). This device is like a little piston and cylinder filled with oil. It is different from a hydraulic lifter, and functions to keep the slack in the valve train to a minimum as the engine ages. The VLA has a little ball valve held in place by a spring, and uses oil pressure to take in oil and place constant pressure on its valve. Dirty oil from even several oil changes ago (or a previous owner) can leave particles in the ball valve that hinder its ability to remain pressurized. This leaves slack in the system and you hear it as clicking. It is also caused by getting air bubbles past the check valve that is now stuck at the top of the little cylinder, unable to leave via the ball valve at the bottom.

SYMPTOMS: A valve train clatter on startup that does not go away when the engine is warmed. If it goes away, this is not your problem.

Causes

Low oil - now or previously.

Dirty oil - now or previously.

High oil - now or previously (con rods slap the too high oil and "foam" it). Note that high oil can be caused by coolant contamination from a blown gasket, not just by overzealous owners. Parking on a steep hill - now or previously. With the engine off, this encourages the VLA to drain its oil (running steep hills are not a problem, unless it's so steep the oil is getting "foamed" by the con rods).

Parking for long periods - now or previously. Over time they'll drain.

The Fix

Now that I've made you all paranoid, here's the laughably simple fix. The VLA's were designed to respond to a pattern of gentle revving to flush the oil out of the little cylinders (those clever Mitsu engineers, eh?)

1. Warm up the engine.

2. With the engine in neutral, gently rev it from idle to 3000rpm over a period of exactly 15 seconds. Your goal is a constant gradual increase to 3000rpm. At the 15 second mark, drop the throttle (foot off the gas) to idle. Now let it idle for 15 seconds to complete one 30 second cycle

3. Repeat the 30 second cycle in #2 from 10 to 30 times. If the problem persists after 30 cycles, this is not your problem. It fixed mine after only 5 cycles - total silence."

The website is here.
Mitsubishi Tech - Minute Mod: The 5 Minute Lifter Noise Fix

If you try this and it works let me know.
andrzejluko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2011, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
That doesn't sound like lifter tick to me but it's hard to say because the engine is running so far above idle.... what rpm is the engine running at? The number of crank revolutions per knock should be a clue to the origin.

Your car sounds like the inside of a old time MRI machine.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2011, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
Sounds like tick to me. This sounds crazy but do an oil change with Rotella full synthetic. Its a diesel oil and it cleans your shit OUT. Took care of the lifter tick on my friends 3g. A normal oil change didn't do it, but rotella did. Since its made for diesel its made for a much greater capacity to absorb grime and such and keep the engine clean because diesel is so much dirtier so on a gasoline engine it kicks ass. I'm waiting for my dad to cave and do the Odyssey with this stuff so I can see it work for myself.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2011, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Will do the oil change and the VLA solution and let you guys know the result and if the noise goes away.
Old 10/30/2011, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

All right sounds good, keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
Do an oil change with Rotella full synthetic. Its a diesel oil and it cleans your shit OUT. Took care of the lifter tick on my friends 3g. A normal oil change didn't do it, but rotella did. Since its made for diesel its made for a much greater capacity to absorb grime and such and keep the engine clean because diesel is so much dirtier so on a gasoline engine it kicks ass.
This is weird...seems like it would fuck up the engine, but okay. I'm assuming he'd still go with 5w-30 on the oil? Or do they not have that. I was looking it up on Shells website and didn't see a 5w-30. You should find out what your friend used on his 3g.
Old 10/30/2011, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Diesel engine oil will not harm your engine, I run it in my Celica which is MUCH more sensitive to oil than the 6G72.

Typically a good quality synthetic diesel oil will contain a higher level of anti-wear additives as well as much more detergent and suspension additives since diesel engines have alot more fuel wash down on cold starts and all that soot gets into the oil that has to be kept in suspension as well. Only thing you risk is damaging the cat converter if you burn oil, since some of the anit-wear compounds are not friendly to the catalyst material. If you don't burn oil any more than normal, don't worry about it. If you do, well you're going to ruin the cat anyways.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2011, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
Diesel engine oil will not harm your engine, I run it in my Celica which is MUCH more sensitive to oil than the 6G72.

Typically a good quality synthetic diesel oil will contain a higher level of anti-wear additives as well as much more detergent and suspension additives since diesel engines have alot more fuel wash down on cold starts and all that soot gets into the oil that has to be kept in suspension as well. Only thing you risk is damaging the cat converter if you burn oil, since some of the anit-wear compounds are not friendly to the catalyst material. If you don't burn oil any more than normal, don't worry about it. If you do, well you're going to ruin the cat anyways.
Yeah I don't have cat's on my car anyways so I don't think it will harm anything.
Old 11/02/2011, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Get a chance to try anything yet?
Old 11/02/2011, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejluko View Post
Get a chance to try anything yet?
Not yet, trying to fix a oil leak before i change out the oil and everything. Did change out the spark plugs though with some NGK IX Iridium and it runs alittle better. But hopefully have the oil leak issue fixed today and then ill try out the other things tomorrow.
Old 11/02/2011, 01:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
I hope you gapped those plugs. NGK doesn't do that from the factory and you'll want tighter then stock since you're boosted.
Old 11/02/2011, 01:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I hope you gapped those plugs. NGK doesn't do that from the factory and you'll want tighter then stock since you're boosted.
actually i didn't. About what should they be gapped too with the turbo?

Edit:
Does about .030" - .025" sound right?

Last edited by kyle920; 11/02/2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11/02/2011, 02:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Depends on your boost but I'd go .030". Unless you're running over 12 psi I wouldn't go any lower.
Old 11/03/2011, 12:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Depends on your boost but I'd go .030". Unless you're running over 12 psi I wouldn't go any lower.
Yeah I'm only running 8 psi, so I'll regap them and see if runs a little better.
Old 09/03/2012, 10:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Mattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFO
Lifter tick?

MVI 0109 - YouTube
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/03/2012, 10:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Put half a can of seafoam in it and drive around for half an hour then flush the crank case.
Old 09/03/2012, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Put half a can of seafoam in it and drive around for half an hour then flush the crank case.
Then 1/2 qt auto trans fluid, run for 500-1500 miles, change, see how long it stays gone for. It may stay gone for a long time, it may come right back. If it comes right back, your lifter's internal seals are in the pooper and the lifters need to be changed/rebuilt to get rid of the tapping.

I've always wondered, could you convert to solid lifters? Solid hunk o metal there (well hollow) with a little bucket with a shim inside it at the end.
Old 09/03/2012, 11:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
3G eclipses

Vehicle: 2001 GS
fvasconez62 : who are you?fvasconez62 : who are you?
how did you fix this? my car been doing this for months now havent gotten around to see what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rice Boy View Post
You would be surprised, this was mine before.

fvasconez62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/03/2012, 11:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
am cat

I think it's been outlined in the thread above if you read.
Old 09/03/2012, 11:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Premium Member

Vehicle: 04 STI
Danielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regular
Quote:
I've always wondered, could you convert to solid lifters? Solid hunk o metal there (well hollow) with a little bucket with a shim inside it at the end.
I don't think so because you wouldn't have the proper valve clearance and it would be difficult/time consuming to adjust
Danielv2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/03/2012, 11:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielv2008 View Post
I don't think so because you wouldn't have the proper valve clearance and it would be difficult/time consuming to adjust
Not really, look at a SOHC Honda setup.

Setscrew and locking nut, adjusting lash is as easy as slipping in a feeler and setting it. I don't see why something similar couldn't be machined for the SOHC 6G7x rocker arms. Get a bit of steel, thread it, bore the rocker arm, press it into the rocker arm where the lifter sat, bore the hole at the top of the rocker a little larger, spin the hardened steel set screw down the threads, put a lock nut on and voila! Heck, you could probably use the body of a lifter for that.
Old 09/04/2012, 07:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Premium Member

Vehicle: 04 STI
Danielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regular
That wouldn't exactly be "easy" Seems like more work and risk than it's worth!
Danielv2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/04/2012, 07:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
am cat

Sounds like an awesome project to me, a true one of a kind. Any lightening of the valve train is good.
Old 09/04/2012, 07:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Vehicle: 2003 GS Manual
Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Then 1/2 qt auto trans fluid, run for 500-1500 miles, change, see how long it stays gone for. It may stay gone for a long time, it may come right back. If it comes right back, your lifter's internal seals are in the pooper and the lifters need to be changed/rebuilt to get rid of the tapping.

Thanks Bitter, Its gone for now. The problem was the front of the car was on jack stands for 3 days so the oil completey drained out of the top end of the engine. I threw some fresh oil in it and ran it for 5 minutes. Tick went away
Drewski0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/06/2012, 10:30 AM   #29 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GS
AnonymousDog : who are you?
Quote:
Not really, look at a SOHC Honda setup.

Setscrew and locking nut, adjusting lash is as easy as slipping in a feeler and setting it. I don't see why something similar couldn't be machined for the SOHC 6G7x rocker arms. Get a bit of steel, thread it, bore the rocker arm, press it into the rocker arm where the lifter sat, bore the hole at the top of the rocker a little larger, spin the hardened steel set screw down the threads, put a lock nut on and voila! Heck, you could probably use the body of a lifter for that.
...of course, you're offering for comparison what is, IMHO, one of the best designed, easiest to service top ends ever!
AnonymousDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/09/2013, 05:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Chaos

Vehicle: 03' Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
lif315chaos : who are you?
I know this post is old but i'm curious if anyone has tried this fix at all?
lif315chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/11/2013, 09:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
metalranger ohnoooo!

Vehicle: 03 GTS
fclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFOfclass308 Really needs to MTFO
wow

Last edited by fclass308; 07/11/2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: post moved while replying????
fclass308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/16/2013, 09:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Foolin : who are you?
Thumbs up I had this a couple weeks ago

i didnt read the thread so i dont know how this turned out for you, but all i did was throw some engine flush in it right before my last oil change. after, i threw a can of protectant in. no more clicking....
Foolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/05/2013, 02:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT V6
cnam : who are you?
My 2000 Eclipse GT always has the lifter noise near the end of 3000 miles oil change interval. Will a Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage or 0W-30 be better for this?
cnam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/05/2013, 03:03 PM   #34 (permalink)

blackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnam View Post
My 2000 Eclipse GT always has the lifter noise near the end of 3000 miles oil change interval. Will a Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage or 0W-30 be better for this?
Run some marvel mystery oil and some Lucas in te gas. I'd go with 5w

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
blackspydergt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.