Coolant leak at heater pipe (w/ pic) - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11/19/2011, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Now also Sleepr4dr

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GT
Sleepr03GT : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Sleepr03GT
Coolant leak at heater pipe (w/ pic)

YEAR: 2003

SUBMODEL: GT

TRANSMISSION: Manual

MILES: 105,xxx

PROBLEM: There is a leak at the water pipe that goes to/from my heater core (firewall) from the thermostat housing area. I discovered/caused/found it when I dropped my transmission to do the clutch. I may have dropped the engine too far and strained it from where it connects to the firewall with a heater hose. It drips at a rate of about a drop per second without the engine running. The hose did not budge at all when the engine was dropped, this is the first point of failure.

Vantage point: transmission removed, bottom left is flywheel, extreme right of picture is firewall, facing the passenger side/front of engine. Distributor cap is visible above the leaky pipe.

It is leaking from the joint seen here where the silver larger pipe portion in the middle of the picture mates to the browned/ yellowish pipe. How it is joined to this pipe I do not know, and the main portion of the silver pipe seems to be the entire thermostat housing unit.

MODIFICATIONS & MAINTENANCE:

I have CAI, lightweight flywheel, solid f/r motor mounts.

WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO TRY AND FIX THE PROBLEM: So far I have not done anything to fix the problem. I went ahead and removed the two rubber hoses that connect to the to/from lines for the heater core. Drained much of the Antifreeze in those lines in that manner.

I was hoping to discover if anyone else has made the same fatal error and was able to fix it in some fashion. From my experience some pieces similar to this have to be replaced as an entire unit, and i'm hoping this is not the case.

I'd like to get this fixed before the transmission is put back on because of the ease of access with the transmission off.

The guys at the parts store recommended the pipe would just come out and there would be an o-ring in there, but I don't want to rip it out unless I know it can be fixed. Any help is appreciated.
1991 Galant VR4 12.61 @ 105 on 14lbs boost --sold
Sleepr03GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11/19/2011, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Yes, just O-rings in there, often the leak is caused by corrosion of the pipe or the aluminum housing.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/20/2011, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Now also Sleepr4dr

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GT
Sleepr03GT : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Sleepr03GT
So the pipes should just pull out of that main assembly, I'll give that a try and update what I find.
1991 Galant VR4 12.61 @ 105 on 14lbs boost --sold
Sleepr03GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/20/2011, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepr03GT View Post
So the pipes should just pull out of that main assembly, I'll give that a try and update what I find.
Yes, there will be a bolt somewhere on a tab attached to the pipe, take that bolt out and the pipe will wiggle and pull out.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.