New brakes - sounds like metal rubbing- do I need these 2 metal clips? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12/14/2011, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GT V6
rowebil : who are you?rowebil : who are you?rowebil : who are you?rowebil : who are you?
New brakes - sounds like metal rubbing- do I need these 2 metal clips pads slide on?

On my brake pads, where you put them and slide them in.
Those two metal pieces that the pad slides on, do I need that?

They started to come off and now my brakes squeal like they are hitting the rotor. They are new brake pads too.

Last edited by rowebil; 12/14/2011 at 11:39 AM.
rowebil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12/14/2011, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Mits Eclipse GS
Fritz seems to be okayFritz seems to be okayFritz seems to be okayFritz seems to be okayFritz seems to be okayFritz seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to Fritz
Yepp you need those clips. Its what hold the brake pads in place.

Edit: Im pretty sure some autoplaces sell the clips seperately

Last edited by Fritz; 12/14/2011 at 11:23 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/14/2011, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Vehicle: 2003 GS Manual
Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
Most new pads need to be bedded in. The sound should go away in 3 or so days. Google stop techs article on how to properly bed brake pads. The clips help pull the pad off the rotor by attaching it to the piston.
Drewski0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/14/2011, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Yepp you need those clips. Its what hold the brake pads in place.
Op are you referring to the clips that came with the pads? Or the 2 slider shims that clip onto the caliper?
Old 12/14/2011, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

rowebil : who are you?rowebil : who are you?rowebil : who are you?rowebil : who are you?
I looked it up and they said shims as well, but I didn't want to type shims and confuse people if they weren't called shims.

But, yes I believe so. They clip on to that little rectangle notch on the piece that holds the brake pads.

Should I just re-seat them and see if it goes away?

I just kinda thought they weren't really needed because it doesn't look like they do anything.

Last edited by rowebil; 12/14/2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12/14/2011, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
HRT

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
I just kinda thought they weren't really needed because it doesn't look like they do anything.
I had a girlfriend like that.

Even if it doesn't solve the noise, yes you should put those back on. Those are the pad clips, keeps the pads aligned in the middle of the caliper.

If you want new ones, Autozone (or similar) would sell them in a front brake hardware kit. You might need new ones since you said your old ones started coming off on their own.
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/14/2011, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Haha

The one part of the shim/clip was sticking out. So I pushed it back in - hopefully that will help.

Also, on the passenger outer brake pad, it has a crack in the pad..
That do anything? It's a small crack, however. Only on the passenger side.

I'll keep the clips on and see if the noise is gone.

ALSO, when my car sits at like college, I start it up and when I drive and press on the brake - it like feels odd. The brake makes a weird grinding noise and feels odd..

Last edited by rowebil; 12/14/2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12/14/2011, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Replace the cracked pad. Your breaks are the most important part of you car. Everything should be in perfect working condition. Those shims hold the pads in place and what they slide on. You are hearing metal on metal because the metal pad base is loose and grinding against the metal caliper.

Put the shims back on and do yourself a favor and put some anti sieze on the metal part of the pad that makes contact with the shims to help reduce typical brake noise.

You need to go into a lot more detail than my brakes feel wierd in the morning if you want help. For starters when was the last time your lines were flushed or the fluid was completely replaced?
Old 12/15/2011, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well, about 6 months ago - I took off the front calipers and drained the fluids.

Then I bled the brake lines.

I had the brake fluid to the top - I cannot see it now because the cap is SO tight, but today I'm going to check.

Anyhow, will advanceauto give me another brake pad set because of the warranty?
Maybe they were faulty, causing it to crack. I know heat can do that as well.
Old 12/15/2011, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
Well, about 6 months ago - I took off the front calipers and drained the fluids.

Then I bled the brake lines.

I had the brake fluid to the top - I cannot see it now because the cap is SO tight, but today I'm going to check.

Anyhow, will advanceauto give me another brake pad set because of the warranty?
Maybe they were faulty, causing it to crack. I know heat can do that as well.
Both of those depend in the brand and quality. For the brake bleed its very easy to mess up and get air in there. Also if it has a low wet boiling point air developed in there. I bleed every 6k miles when I rotate my tires to be safe.

If the brakes have a warranty they should be able to be replaced. High quality pads shouldn't crack from heat.
Old 01/06/2012, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Are Wearever Silver good? Should they crack?

I did not look again because I don't feel like taking my tires off again. I've done it like 15 times and it's getting annoying and old. I think the person that had the car before me, got really good brakes. I had NO brake dust. The brakes lasted for so long. Now these Wearever brakes, the dust is all over. :/

When I go slow and put my brakes on, it rubs. Not metal rubbing. Maybe bad rotor?
Old 01/06/2012, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Did you bed in your pads?
Old 01/06/2012, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

Vehicle: stuff
chavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to chavezeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to chavezeclipse
RockAuto Auto Parts

bendix, $20
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
battery relocated to trunk
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

chavezeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/06/2012, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski0523 View Post
Did you bed in your pads?
I did not. I never heard of it. Just looked it up and says brake judder. Probably what I have..

I'm a PC technician with my own business. I only know how to change the brakes and research and all, but never heard of that before. I will look it up and maybe try it.
Old 01/06/2012, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Google brake pad bedding. It is a series of hard stops w/o coming to a complete stop to use intense friction and high heat to match your pads and rotors to each other. As Chavez said bendix are good OEM quality brakes
Old 01/06/2012, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Okay thank you. I did not know that at all. Now I know. I will try to do that in a while. The one time, going down a mountain - it didn't feel like the brakes had maximum stopping power.. Maybe that is because they were brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.