Help RS rear suspension - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/17/2012, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

dirtydsm33 can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
RS No sway bar? Well it needs one!

Ok I bought a 3g that had been wrecked in the rear. Sub frame was bent pretty bad. But thats it no other damage (i could be missing something but i dont think so).
I go to the junk yard pull a sub frame off the back of gt
Everything bolts up perfect but the GT had a sway bar the RS doesnt have a way to attach it to the spindles.
I dont really think it matters and they seem to be exactly the same?

Test drive- Take off fine, 40 mph starts a rubbing/vibrating/shutter coming from the rear....(rear right i believe)
Also when i go over bumps at anything about 30 the rear feels like as soon as it hits it seems it feels like the right side kicks out (to the right)....its not barely noticeable it feels like my whole rear end just slips right out then comes back normal.

I get home and try and figure out whats wrong?
The right wheel seems like the bottom needs to be pulled in towards the subframe, the top of the wheel needs to go out in order to be straight.
There is no way of adjusting this so what do i do?
Heres a picture you can see the bar that connect the spindle to the subframe maybe its too long? I feel like it needs to be shorter to pull the wheel in some.
Any Advice?
dirtydsm33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/18/2012, 02:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Help RS rear suspension

Eclipse Rs
2.4l
N/A

Bought this car wrecked, rear sub frame was bent so i removed it replaced with one from a gt. It appears to be the same but the RS has no place for the sway bar to bolt up.
Anyhow i drive it and its fine then i get up to 40mph and its like a shuttering/rubbing kinda feeling its not terrible but really annoying. Its like a very bad out of balance tire. Rotated every tire to back position and same problem same speed so its not the tires.
Also when i hit a bump doing 30 or more as soon as the rear end hits the bump it feel like it just kicks out....its pretty drastic, but goes right back to normal.
So i get home check it out and it appears that the passenger rear tire is not aligned properly. the top is too far in bottom too far out. Almost like it needs a sway bar or something pulling the bottom half over?
Any ideas?
Old 02/18/2012, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is what it looks like as you can see no spot for the sway bar on the spindle.
Old 02/18/2012, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
Sway bars don't actually do anything for the alignment of the suspension, all they do is link onto a component to keep the ratio of compression between the sides closer to 1:1.

Your problem is that you reused your old arms. In your picture, the toe arm is shot (ball joint boot is ripped and grease everywhere). If the rear subframe was bent chances are one or some of the arms were too. Did you have the car aligned? You can't just bolt it together and think its going to be good to go, it needs aligning if you've had the arms off. A real alignment will tell you for sure if any one arm or even if the knuckles are in good shape too, so you can replace what's bent.

On the 3g the sway bar connects to the rear lower control arms. Your RS rlca's obviously don't have the attachment points
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
HRT

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
You didn't drive it with those bolts missing did you??
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Vehicle: 2003 GS Manual
Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
Go to a junkyard and pull good upper control arms (u shaped), trailing arms the one that connects to the wheel well, and lower control arm (look for ones with a spot to bolt your endlinks to and swaybar issue solved). Do it for both sides. Check the new/used arms bushings if they're shot (most likely are) time for urethane replacements. I recommend energy suspension rear control arm kit. Go onto RockAuto.com and go to the rear suspension of our car and get right and left later links (technically the rear toe control arm, I used dorman but recommend spending a little more for one with grease fittings). Look up the rear suspension on parts.com and grab the essentric bolt and washer for the rear toe arm so you can replace is because odds are the old one is fused in there and you'll need to cut it out.

There is a great how to that goes over all this in the garage or wheels/brakes/tires/suspension forum. How to: urethane suspension install for the I4

Last edited by Drewski0523; 02/18/2012 at 09:57 AM.
Drewski0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2012, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRT View Post
You didn't drive it with those bolts missing did you??
Those are just the brackets for the rear sway bar, it won't hurt anything unless he gets crud in there and the tries to put a sway bar in.
Old 02/18/2012, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

yeah i see what your saying it looks like those hp;es are for the upper contol arm,

So is the bracket the sway bar bolts to come off one of the control arms or would i have to buy the whole spindle assembly?

Would something like this work...like i said it just seems like that lower trailing arms are too long.
Old 02/18/2012, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
Did you get the car aligned or not? The car isn't lowered?

The trailing arms are not too long... they're identical between trim levels. The lower control arms come with the tab welded on for the sway bar so yes you need new arms along with the toe arms. Those megan trailing arms aren't going to do you any good, they adjust caster and have no real purpose even on lowered car.
Old 02/18/2012, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

no it hasnt been aligned but there is no rear adjustment for it right?
It just doesn't make too much since if all of this stuff is the same and identical but the RS doesn't have a sway bar....changing the sub frame out shouldnt have changed anything in the rear.
Is it possible the sub frame is a little longer?
Old 02/18/2012, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
USN

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse RS
3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular
There is alignments for the rear. I swapped my rear crossmember and arms with one from a '99 Galant that had a sway bar. Everything bolted up. The top arm in the pic is the Control arm. Off to the upper left of the pic is a cam bolt. That will adjust the toe if I remember right. If you lowered your car, then you would need to get a camber kit to adjust the camber. The lower bar in the pic is the bar the sway bar attaches to, but you need to one from a GT or GTS the has the link for the sway end link.

Get it aligned if you haven't already and have them check the wheel balance. If a shop tells you there isn't an alignment for the back, then they are full of shit. But might as well get a full alignment done.
3G Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2012, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Look at the knuckle. The tie arm connection point is a big oval for a reason, that sets your toe. If something is even slightly bent you'll need camber correction.

If your toe is far enough out and your bushings are shot, and they are, you can get the waving in the rear suspension at speed.
Old 02/19/2012, 04:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm going to the junkyard Monday to get the sway bar and everything else I left behind. Anything else I should pull of the gt that would make the rs better?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02/19/2012, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydsm33 View Post
I'm going to the junkyard Monday to get the sway bar and everything else I left behind. Anything else I should pull of the gt that would make the rs better?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.com App
Like I said get all 3 control arms for each side since yours are most likely. Ent fom the rear end damage. Replace the bushings if they're shot since its stupid to put new arms on with bad bushings. Buy a completely new rear toe control arm with the toe alignment bolt and essentric washer.

There is no reason to buy aftermarket arms for this platform as the OEM ones are fine. If the camber is off there are a few rear camber correction kits to choose from for this platform.
Old 02/19/2012, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

You think I could get the ball joints out without busting them or should I just buy those arms new?
Old 02/19/2012, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
USN

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse RS
3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular3G Runner should be considered a regular
From I have read, buy new arms. It will cost about the same as buying the joints and having them installed
3G Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/19/2012, 06:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3G Runner View Post
From I have read, buy new arms. It will cost about the same as buying the joints and having them installed

cost of new worthwile ball joints = $15-25
cost of dorman rear toe arms = $26
frustration and anger of trying to replace ball joints in a rusted out, beat up arm = not worth it
ability to cut out old arms and slap brand new shiny ones = priceless

spoken (well typed) from experince
Old 02/20/2012, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Couldn't find a gt would a Stratus work?
Old 02/21/2012, 11:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

The answer is yes
Old 02/21/2012, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retrofitter

Vehicle: 03' Eclipse GS
jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.
Send a message via Yahoo to jstewart92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski0523 View Post

frustration and anger of trying to replace ball joints in a rusted out, beat up arm = not worth it
ability to cut out old arms and slap brand new shiny ones = priceless

spoken (well typed) from experince

Tell that to the shop I had do my toe arms.
jstewart92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/22/2012, 04:42 AM   #21 (permalink)

Everything fits perfect just like it should. I'm just waiting for the sway bat end links to arrive...which by the way if you think you can find them at a parts store for cheap guess again. Cheapest I've found was $45 and I need 2.
Old 02/22/2012, 09:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Should've gone on rock auto. 45$ or less for both shipped to your door.
Old 02/22/2012, 10:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
Should've gone on rock auto. 45$ or less for both shipped to your door.
shit OEM parts from mitsubishipartswarehouse are around 50 for both shipped. You can get moogs for 30 a piece

Did you go to ripmeoffthenrapemeintheasscarparts.com?
Old 02/22/2012, 03:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

I didn't want to wait those were the prices at autozone and advanced oreillys had them for 20 each. Either way it didn't help. The rear end doesn't rock around as much as it did but I still have the annoying vibration.
I can't pinpoint whether it the left or right. I get up to 40 and its a consistent vibration like an out if balance tire. I've rotated all four if my tires all the way around and it doesn't get better or worse so its not the tires or wheels. Braking has no effect and drums are smooth. Changed right wheel bearing but didn't help. Maybe left wheel bearing? The drum is pretty stuck on there but it doesn't seem to have any play when you try to move the tire like a wheel bearing would. Am I missing something?
Old 02/22/2012, 05:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Calipers are notorious for shiting the bed and siezing up at high mileage so check them. Also slight warpage of the rotors so google how to bed in brake pads and follow that procedure. Check the other 3 wheel bearings as well. Get an alignment and check the balance of all 4 wheels
Old 02/22/2012, 07:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

The parking brake is fully disengaged?
Old 02/22/2012, 07:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Its drum brakes on the rear.
Umm I believe so like I said the drum on the driver side is so stuck on there I can't even get it off. I've tried a rubber mallet and all that but I won't budge. Car feels like everything spins pretty freely. Does the e brake have only lock the left side or is it both?
Old 02/22/2012, 07:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Both sides but if you've got a seized cable it can keep the shoes down. If the drums are worn you'll have to use the adjuster to pull the shoes in far enough to get the lip over them. Adjusting them is a bitch.
Old 02/22/2012, 09:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

How does that work? The adjuster?
Old 02/22/2012, 09:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
How does that work? The adjuster?
On the drum, yes. For the seized line you need to replace it if that's the case. If it is a seized line you'll want new brake shoes and a hardware kit.
Old 02/22/2012, 09:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Good time for a rear disc swap.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/22/2012, 09:22 PM   #32 (permalink)

So is there just like a bolt on the drum?
Old 02/22/2012, 09:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
So is there just like a bolt on the drum?
What do you mean? The drum only sits over the brake shoes and is held in place by the wheel itself
Old 02/22/2012, 09:35 PM   #34 (permalink)

I know silvertune was talking about some sort of adjuster if its stuck. I've tried everything short of just buying some sort of puller to get the drum off.
Old 02/22/2012, 09:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Bigger hammer.
Old 02/22/2012, 09:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
am cat

But there should be some M8 threaded holes you can use to help push the drums off...or break them if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 02/22/2012, 09:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
Bigger hammer.
That and a little bit of man will get them off
Old 02/22/2012, 09:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
But there should be some M8 threaded holes you can use to help push the drums off...or break them if you don't know what you're doing.
Or if its just that stubborn. I take the top hats off rotors all the time when they're on there good. Though breaking a drum would be a lot harder...

Turn the wheel so the little peaky hole is at the bottom of the rotation and you'll see a little gear in there. You have to turn it one way or the other to make the adjuster screw itself together to bring the shoes together.
Old 03/24/2012, 02:54 PM   #39 (permalink)

MiDFielD_WiZ : who are you?
Question Subframe removal

When you removed the subframe, were there any other steps besides removing the bolts and using jacks? I ask because im in the same situation you were and im about to swap rear (suspension)parts with another 3g wrecked from the front. Ive searched but nothing came as specific to what im asking as your thread.
MiDFielD_WiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/24/2012, 03:05 PM   #40 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Remove the arms attached to the member, remove the bolts holding the member to the car/frame, lower it down.

The factory manual can be found in the 3G general info forum, or just search for the tearstone manual. It's a sticky and tells you exactly what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Tags
adjustment, alignment, sub frame, suspension, susspension, sway bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.