Rear Valve Cover Leak - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/30/2012, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Eclipse Spyder Gt
MitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by many
Rear Valve Cover Leak

Alright I searched and couldn't find any threads pertaining to the questions I had. First of all I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT with 98,000 miles on it and an automatic transmission. About two months ago I got my front valve cover changed because it was leaking and a Felpro gasket put in but now it is leaking again! So I am not sure if the head is messed up or if it was not sealed correctly or possibly need a new valve cover. I have been having oil spots in my car and it looks like the rear valve cover is leaking now too along with the power steering. I was wondering how I should get to the rear valve cover because I am guessing it is a gasket issue.

Thank you!
MitsubishiOwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/30/2012, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Valve pan cover gasket??

You should know that when you say you searched and clearly you didn't you lose a great deal of credibility among the members that can really help you.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/30/2012, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

MitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Valve pan cover gasket??

You should know that when you say you searched and clearly you didn't you lose a great deal of credibility among the members that can really help you.
The funny thing is WorldWind I did search. But thank you! I went to about 4 seperate different threads about it one of them I remember just talking about where to get the rear valve cover gasket and another whether or not Felpro was better than OEM.
Old 04/30/2012, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I searched again for the removal of the rear rocker gasket or valve cover gasket and I just found one how to and that showed the front valve cover gasket removal not the rear. I am not really sure to be honest how to get to it or really where it is at.
Old 04/30/2012, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
lionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okay
You have to take the intake manifold off. Then you can access it. However taking the intake manifold off is all kinds of fun and by fun I mean PITA.
lionfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/30/2012, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFOMattt Really needs to MTFO
Once you take the valve cover off just flip it over and you'll see, be patient and use a flat head screwdriver. I just got a full valve cover gasket kit shipped for $20 from rockauto.
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/30/2012, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfire View Post
You have to take the intake manifold off. Then you can access it. However taking the intake manifold off is all kinds of fun and by fun I mean PITA.
Yes yes it is! I changed my spark plugs about two months ago and it was a pain! I didn't remove it though just took it off to where I could change them. The EGR Tube gasket was a pain in the ass to get back in. I actually still haven't put it in!
Old 04/30/2012, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiOwn View Post
Well I searched again for the removal of the rear rocker gasket or valve cover gasket and I just found one how to and that showed the front valve cover gasket removal not the rear. I am not really sure to be honest how to get to it or really where it is at.

Really if you can't look at the engine and see what to take off , how to take it off and what not to take off to get to the rear bank valve cover you should not attempt this job... have a mechanic or another board member do it for you.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/30/2012, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Really if you can't look at the engine and see what to take off , how to take it off and what not to take off to get to the rear bank valve cover you should not attempt this job... have a mechanic or another board member do it for you.
They say it takes like 3 hours worth of labor to get the UIM off I think it took me 3 hours the first (only) time I have ever taken it off and I don't know shit about cars and haven't worked on any. The second time through I guarantee it will be much better. And sorry WorldWind I agree with you! I must be retarded because I just looked at a diagram of the engine and idk what I was thinking when I asked where it is :/
Old 05/01/2012, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
HRT

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
I used the Felpro set too on my rear (right) valve cover, back in July 2011, and don't have any leaks so far. I wiped a very very thin coating of black RTV on the valve cover gasket for some "extra" insurance against leaks, especially because I nicked the inside of the valve cover trying to scrape/chip the old gasket out.

If you search for "valve cover stuck" you'll find a lot of messages about how the valve cover might bake on there and be hard to remove.
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/01/2012, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Aple juic is my beer

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8L, 07 Jeep GC
Drunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to Drunkoffjuic
Sorry, I am 100% against Felpro gaskets. They have NEVER fit right (to big or to small) and have always caused me problems. I now only stick with OEM gaskets. And I do know that people will come on here and say they only use Felpro. I am just expressing my opinion.

As for the work, any shop should be able to do this in 3 hours or less, if they cant, then dont go to them.

My first time took me a while too. But now that I have done it about 15-20 times i can get the UIM off in less than 20 min.
Old 05/01/2012, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
spdr3g

Vehicle: 02 spyder gt
spdr3gt : who are you?
Actually there's no way you couldn't have search enough, because I did my rear valve covers on my spyder to 2 weeks ago and I did my search in here before even thinking about messing with it. TRY SEARCHING!! how to remove the manifold there's a thread that even shows you the pictures of what to remove. It is a pain in the butt if you are going to do it better have someone to help you cause you will need it. As for the cover most likely it's going to be stuck so gently tap it with a screw driver and hammer ( there's better tool to use like a rubber mallet) Most important take your time cause it's going to take a while before it comes of.
spdr3gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/01/2012, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Aple juic is my beer

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8L, 07 Jeep GC
Drunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to Drunkoffjuic
Wait wait wait...... you are the same guy that is doing the Ripp SC to? I cant wait to see this in the end.
Old 05/01/2012, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 gt eclipse
outrageousgt : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkoffjuic View Post
Sorry, I am 100% against Felpro gaskets. They have NEVER fit right (to big or to small) and have always caused me problems. I now only stick with OEM gaskets. And I do know that people will come on here and say they only use Felpro. I am just expressing my opinion.

As for the work, any shop should be able to do this in 3 hours or less, if they cant, then dont go to them.

My first time took me a while too. But now that I have done it about 15-20 times i can get the UIM off in less than 20 min.
Where do you get your oem gaskets from aside from the dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
outrageousgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/01/2012, 01:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
Rock Auto's gasket sets are awesome, I built my 3.6 with their stuff. Though I've done 2 full top end jobs with Felpro sets and never had an issue either. Those are the only 2 I ever use unless its something really special that nether make and then I'll get Beck Arnley (ei caliper seals)
Silvertune is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/01/2012, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
HRT

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
Quote:
No problem, like you said I'm one of those guys that's the complete opposite (never used OEM, always used Felpro)!

The only time I'll go with a gasket from the dealer is if the original gasket was all-metal and Felpro isn't (such as the 3g's water pump).
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/02/2012, 06:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Wait wait wait...... you are the same guy that is doing the Ripp SC to? I cant wait to see this in the end.
..ugh already man common. In my thread I clearly said I have a lot to learn and it will be over a year before it happens due to me not knowing a whole lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.