Battery & Brake Light Flashing - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06/20/2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Sun41178 : who are you?
Battery & Brake Light Flashing

I have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse GT. My battery & brake light started flashing about a month ago. The day before memorial day I shut my car off at the store, when I went to restart it, it wouldn't. So I replaced the battery, had the charging system checked everything came back good.

Last night as I was driving the Battery & Brake Light started doing them same then the radio shut off and the dash went very dim, I also noticed a loss in power when this happened. The car didn't stall any. I immediatlly went to Autozone and had the charging system checked, everything came back okay. The car started up fine this morning, acted up once.

I am puzzled as to what could be causing this.
Sun41178 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06/20/2012, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GS
bds7692 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun41178 View Post
I have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse GT. My battery & brake light started flashing about a month ago. The day before memorial day I shut my car off at the store, when I went to restart it, it wouldn't. So I replaced the battery, had the charging system checked everything came back good.

Last night as I was driving the Battery & Brake Light started doing them same then the radio shut off and the dash went very dim, I also noticed a loss in power when this happened. The car didn't stall any. I immediatlly went to Autozone and had the charging system checked, everything came back okay. The car started up fine this morning, acted up once.

I am puzzled as to what could be causing this.
I had this exact same problem starting about two weeks ago on my 2000 GS. Last night I shut my car off, then went to restart it and it wouldn't do anything. Jumped it this morning then disconnected a terminal to my battery and the car died immediately. Turns out my alternator was shot and my battery is fine. Get your alternator checked, chances are that's your issue.
bds7692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/20/2012, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I will try that when I get home today and see if that works. Thanks
Old 06/20/2012, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GS
bds7692 : who are you?
No problem. Does your radio happen to shut off also when your brake light & battery light flash? Cause mine did which I thought was kind of weird. And all my lights would dim and if I tried to do anything that required electricity (i.e. close the windows/sunroof) the car would die. It's a pain in the ass but if it is your alternator like it was with mine, it shouldn't be too hard to fix. The alternator costs $120 for me but I don't know if it'll be the same for you since yours is a V6. Lemme know what it turns out to be.
bds7692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/20/2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, the radio goes first and then the lights dim.
Old 06/20/2012, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Kingtucca : who are you?
Bds is right...

The exact same problem also happen too me..

When I was driving or hit the power windows it well seem like the car is losing power out of no where.. and the radio well shut off..

I had to change my alternator and the serpentine belt for the alternator..

Also one of my ground cables weren't working right..

and I have a 2000 gt v6 also..

Just change the alternator and the serpentine belt and you should be fine..

Make sure to clean your ground cables too for any corrosion..

Last edited by Kingtucca; 06/20/2012 at 05:07 PM.
Kingtucca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/20/2012, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: S50 Swapped E30
yahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by allyahh seems to be well-liked by all
First check removes your positive and negative terminal and clean them.

If that doesn't fix it then check all the ground wires, Also if your alternator is fused to the positive terminal, make sure the fuse isn't blown or that the little black piece isn't cracked and causing a poor connection from the alternator.

Check and shake the wires on the alternator to make sure they aren't loose.

If none of those work take your car into a shop/ advanced auto or something to test both your battery and alternator.

Club3G Feedback Thread

iTrader
yahh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/20/2012, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Valor is eternal....

Vehicle: NS-White 2000 Eclipse GT
Tasogare : who are you?Tasogare : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds7692 View Post
I had this exact same problem starting about two weeks ago on my 2000 GS. Last night I shut my car off, then went to restart it and it wouldn't do anything. Jumped it this morning then disconnected a terminal to my battery and the car died immediately. Turns out my alternator was shot and my battery is fine. Get your alternator checked, chances are that's your issue.
Just to let you know that while that may have been a method of checking the alternator on the cars of yore - that is something that you do not do on these computerized later model cars. Pulling the positive terminal will kill your PCM, or possibly damage other sensors.

You want to check your alternator, you put a DVOM on it to check the battery voltage, or you get a mechanics tester to check the alternator output.
Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/20/2012, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pulled the negative terminal and surprise the car died. This is the original alternator that came with the car when it came off the factory floor, so getting 13 years of life is good.

My mechanic at the dealership (the only that touches my car other than me) told me to pull the negative terminal since the alternator is acting up intermediately and the charging system test is coming back saying everything is okay. There is no corrosion as I keep my car insider utile, inside & under the hood.
Old 06/21/2012, 07:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Kingtucca : who are you?
Ya.. trust me man.. its the alterntor..

I well even show you my recepit that.. when they change my alternator that.. that was the problem causing the power losses..

I also had the orginal alternator... for the car.. but the mechanic said my alternator had its owned mind and it well charge the car when it wanted too..
Kingtucca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/22/2012, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Some broke kid..

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
VT03GTS seems to be okayVT03GTS seems to be okayVT03GTS seems to be okayVT03GTS seems to be okayVT03GTS seems to be okayVT03GTS seems to be okay
I just posted a thread about the same issue. Mine goes away in high RPMs. My alternator was tested and working.Lots of great responses in here though

Photography TUMBLR Facebook
VT03GTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/22/2012, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, it is the alternator. It only powers when it feels like it, but hey iy is the original alternator. The starter went out a year and half ago, so I knew the alternator would go eventually.

Thanks for the help guys/chicks!
Old 01/25/2013, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 Eclipse GT
ECLIPSE6G72 can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
I Have a 2002 eclipse gt and i replaced the transmission on the car had it at the school shop for about a month in a half because of winter break when i finished it i was driving it and my battery and brake light started showing and then my lights started to dim i took the alternator to check it was ok my battery terminals i had gotten new ones still the same problem and had gotten a new battery and still same problem car just ends up dieing on me checked cables nothing is loose the higher the rpm the light starts to pop out!!

Last edited by ECLIPSE6G72; 01/25/2013 at 08:25 PM.
ECLIPSE6G72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/01/2013, 06:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 GT Spider Eclipse
kdear : who are you?
Question Battery/Brake light flashing

I have an 01 spider with the same problem. Battery/Brake light flashes the lights go dim and my radio with cut off when it wants to. All the wires seem to be good. Thinking it might be the alternator going bad but checked it came back as good. Funny thing was I unplugged the MAF and the car ran good for a bit until the issue started back up.
kdear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/10/2014, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Mitsu99 : who are you?
Ive been having this issue mainly in the winter times when i run every electrical piece in my car. I have already replaced my battery, worked fine for a week or 2 and then it happened again. Once in a week or 2, my tcl and anti lock pops on and off for a second or 2. Usually when this happens, my battery dies and my car wont start. Then after an hour or 2 the car will start. I have started to notice these lights coming on after i installed my new duel dim stereo player. Could it be bad grounding on my end? I have yet to replace my alternator, and advanced said it was fine.
Mitsu99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.