Manual Transmission Problem - Need Expert's Help! - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08/10/2012, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

adamjmcd91 : who are you?
Manual Transmission Problem - Need Expert's Help!

Hi there.

In August of 2011, I purchased my first 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder GT v6 manual. My buddy, who has been driving manuals for years, test drove the car with me and the said clutch was "tight" and seemed to be problem-free.

Keep in mind, I didn't know how to drive a manual so I learned on this car. Today I would have to say I'm pretty good at it and very rarely hinder my clutch in any way.

Since I'm in college, the few times I drove in the next 9 months was to just go home and back (mostly highway driving). After a while the clutch started slipping bad. So of course I thought it was because I was a bad driver and that the clutch was going out.

So my cousin is a mechanic and I purchased a clutch online and was able to get a new clutch in for about $500. He told me that the clutch seemed fine but had bad burn marks on it (probably from when I first started learning on the car). I just thought "whatever" and put the new one in since I already have it.

For the first few weeks of driving, it was like a brand new car. I had no problems with it. Now that it is a month later and with more miles on it, I've started to notice that when I try to put the car in first, second, or sometimes reverse, it is almost like if it doesn't want to go in those gears. It sometimes even makes a sort of clunking noise.

I've been doing a crazy amount of research and it seems that a lot of people (including people on this forum) are having similar problems. I've seen suggestions from bleeding the clutch to replacing sensors in the car to getting an entirely new tranny. But with my situation all of those are a possibility.

So I need some serious help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by adamjmcd91; 08/10/2012 at 10:11 AM.
adamjmcd91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08/10/2012, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
HRT

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
Definitely check the clutch hydraulic system first. Does it have enough fluid? Does it need to be bled (full of air)? When you press the pedal, is the clutch fork moving right away (will need a helper to look under the car (engine off and wheels BLOCKED!) when you press the pedal? Or are you pressing the pedal and the clutch fork doesn't move until the pedal's almost on the carpet?

Also when does this problem happen? If you're doing 20 mph with the clutch pedal down, and then you try to move the stick to first, it won't go easy and might grind- because you're asking the syncros to do a LOT of work. But if you're completely stopped, clutch pedal all the way up, and try to put the pedal down and move to first and it doesn't go, syncros aren't involved at all.
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/22/2012, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

dwells435 : who are you?
Angry HELP

i am having a simular problem i cannot shift into 1st gear it feels like something is blocking it i need some help here i have an 03 GT
dwells435 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/22/2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
HRT

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
HRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okayHRT seems to be okay
Have you checked what I mentioned above?
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/22/2012, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Angry HELP

yes i bleed the lines everything goes good 2-3-4-5 and R but 1st it wont go like something blocking it maybe shift link ? there also is a lil play when i press the clutch
Old 08/22/2012, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Angry

shifter linkage connectons just need to be adjusted/tightened maybe ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.