Car stalling and surging - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10/28/2012, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03' GT 5spd
branden3g : who are you?
Car stalling and surging

My car has now been giving me problems. It has a rough idle in which sometimes it either turns off or almost turns off. Also when accelerating it bogs out and even flooring it wont do it justice. Once I've finally made it to the freeway if I'm holding it slighty accelerating it will be fine. Any ideas? I've changed the alternator and fuel pump so far and battery reads 12.75v it starts on first try. Thanks in advance.

do_0b in my GT
branden3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/28/2012, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone? I asked because it actually bogs out..is there a way to check injectors?

do_0b in my GT
Old 10/28/2012, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
FORUM RULES: Read BEFORE posting any problem reports!
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/31/2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T
TheStigx : who are you?
A few things I would do first that are cheap and easy. Remove the air intake from the manifold, then remove the throttle body with four bolts(12mm IIRC). Don't lose/damage the gasket. Remove the TPS connector by using a flat head screw driver on that metal clip that holds it in. DO NOT LOSE IT. Next, remove the IAC(Idle air control), clean all the carbon in the manifold, throttle body, and IAC motor with throttle body/carb cleaner. Don't push the solenoid in, be gentle. Reinstall. Next I would clean your Mass airflow sensor with MAF cleaner(Yes, use this only). Let me know how that turns out. All in all this is $10 worth of parts and couldn't hurt to try first. If you don't know what I'm talking about, search. Easy to find stuff.
TheStigx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/05/2012, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

BruceU : who are you?
My 03 Rs has been doing this too. It started one day about 6 months ago, ran for shit for about 50 mins. then started to run right again on her own. Then she did it again about a month ago, and again fixed it's self. Then it started again two days ago, and didn't fix it's self so I took her in to get scanned. they said it MIGHT BE the mass air sensor(along with a list of other things). So I got some MAF cleaner, and cleaned it. It did help, but didn't fix it. So then I just unplugged the MAS and she's running fine now. So I'm sure that is whats wrong. I have to wait till next week to have the cash for a new one. Now I'm thinking it wont hurt her too bad to drive like this for a few days( if I'm wrong PLEASE let me know) But you might want to unplug yours just to see if it's the same thing.

Just an idea...
BruceU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/15/2012, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Alright all is well now, since I did all of the above I can't say what was the problem but somewhere and something I did fixed it. Thanks again.. plus a new or reman. MAF is crazy expensive.

do_0b in my GT
Old 11/15/2012, 06:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Fallen : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigx View Post
A few things I would do first that are cheap and easy. Remove the air intake from the manifold, then remove the throttle body with four bolts(12mm IIRC). Don't lose/damage the gasket. Remove the TPS connector by using a flat head screw driver on that metal clip that holds it in. DO NOT LOSE IT. Next, remove the IAC(Idle air control), clean all the carbon in the manifold, throttle body, and IAC motor with throttle body/carb cleaner. Don't push the solenoid in, be gentle. Reinstall. Next I would clean your Mass airflow sensor with MAF cleaner(Yes, use this only). Let me know how that turns out. All in all this is $10 worth of parts and couldn't hurt to try first. If you don't know what I'm talking about, search. Easy to find stuff.
Awesome! I was just having this issue. I'll try this out first. Cheers.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/15/2012, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt

Vehicle: 2001 Spyder GT (silver)
MarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by branden3g View Post
Alright all is well now, since I did all of the above I can't say what was the problem but somewhere and something I did fixed it. Thanks again.. plus a new or reman. MAF is crazy expensive.
No need for a new or refurb. Plenty of working MAFs out there in junkyards. They should be fairly cheap on car-parts.com
MarkSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/15/2012, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Vehicle: 04 STI
Danielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regular
Bogging down might also indicate ignition issue. So new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor would be a good thing to replace if they are old.
Danielv2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/15/2012, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 GS
GearBox : who are you?
possibly a bad vacuum line that is sucking itself closed
GearBox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.