V6 Start-up rattle - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/06/2013, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
ieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends here
Send a message via MSN to ieatglue
V6 Start-up rattle

I've read about the noisy lifters and did the 2500-3500 rpm thing as mentioned. I think this may be another problem. The rattle is REALLY loud. Is this the rattle everyone is talking about? Here's a video I took. I had my phone orientation lock on (sorry)

It sounds like it's coming from around the timing cover area

If I turn the engine off and back on, the sound goes away
ieatglue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/07/2013, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.
I have a loud rattle too on cold start ups. Once warm it goes away. It also ticks like a lifter tick but from the bottom end/side of the motor. My dsm used to do it too but it was from from the top end. I'm running 5w30 and it seems to have gotten worse with that in it so am I experiencing cold oil causing a lack of lubrication or something like that?
GTSportty01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/07/2013, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

ieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends hereieatglue has a few friends here
I don't know what it could be. The sound will stay there until I turn the engine off and back on. Could it be the AC compressor clutch trying to engage?
Old 01/07/2013, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
You're going to want to pull the front bank timing cover, it sounds to me like a cam gear is hitting something. Make sure the plug on the right side of the head and the distributor are both still installed tightly. Those both hold the cams in place, if they get loose the cam can work it's way back until the gear hits the head producing a sound like the one you're observing.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/08/2013, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'll check that this weekend! Thanks for the input. I hope that's it
Old 01/09/2013, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GT
Newmanfan : who are you?
My car used to do that exact same thing, it would go away once the car warmed up.

When I had the timing belt job done, the problem went away never to return!

Frank
Newmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2013, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I need to replace the timing belt/water pump. I think I'll just do it this weekend. Did you replace the tensioner too, or just press in the pin and release it upon re-installation?

Check this out. Rock auto has the belt/tensioner combo as follows

GATES Part # TCKWP259 $82.86
ACDELCO Part # TCKWP259 $101.41

Rebranding for an extra $20??

Last edited by ieatglue; 01/10/2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01/14/2013, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
FROM MEXICO

Vehicle: ECLIPSE GT 2002 V6 3.0L
galacticoa3 : who are you?galacticoa3 : who are you?
i have the same problem, with 10w30 oil and the noise still there 5 minutes,when change to 20w50 the noise was lower, then i add Lucas oil treatment but the sound still there but now just 2 minutes, i was thinking in change again but now 25w50 and add The Lucas oil again what you think about it? ,could it works??
galacticoa3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/14/2013, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
FROM MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by galacticoa3 View Post
i have the same problem, with 10w30 oil and the noise still there 5 minutes,when change to 20w50 the noise was lower, then i add Lucas oil treatment but the sound still there but now just 2 minutes, i was thinking in change again but now 25w50 and add The Lucas oil again what you think about it? ,could it works??
my timing belt was changed 4 months ago and just when the temperature is lower have this noise
Old 01/14/2013, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: GT and GS Spyder Turbo
j0rg3 : who are you?j0rg3 : who are you?
20w-50 esta super pesado para este motor we...vas a acabar con los metales de biela/bancada.
j0rg3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/15/2013, 05:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
FROM MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0rg3 View Post
20w-50 esta super pesado para este motor we...vas a acabar con los metales de biela/bancada.
De cuál traes tu?? Tomando en cuenta que mi carro trae 194000 millas cual me conviene usar ?? Además las temperaturas en Chihuahua ahora están bajo 0 grados C
Old 01/17/2013, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

vai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometervai2iant Is a walking rectal thermometer
I have this too! I thought it was my transmission! Sounds common not so worried anymore.
vai2iant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/18/2013, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
FROM MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vai2iant View Post
I have this too! I thought it was my transmission! Sounds common not so worried anymore.
why do you consider that is the transmission if the transmission is on the other side?

i have the same issue, and i had to change the motor oil, i installed 20W50 semisyntetic and the noise stay there and add lucas oil and doesnt worked, the wednesday i was changed the motor oil again but now syntetic 5W30 and the thursday my car worked really good, then today in the morning the noise come again.
I drained again and add lucas oil and i dont now if that works
and a new issue my car start to expulse smoke.
Now I dont know what need to do ?
Old 01/18/2013, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.GTSportty01 is as useful as a bag of dicks.
Re: V6 Start-up rattle

Mine does it more when it's colder out. Could be why it comes and goes.
Old 01/18/2013, 10:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
FROM MEXICO

I think so but i need to know which are your miles and motor oil viscosity on your car just to compare it
Old 01/18/2013, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: My 2 Eclipse's :-)
ShotsFired911 : who are you?
The funny thing is I have 2 Eclipse's now and had 3. Do you know all 3! made this noise . 2 Different mechanics told me its the lifters in the engine. I bought the stuff to quiet them down but I of course added it right before I needed an oil change . Its recomended you do an oil change first but before adding the new oil add the lifter stuff. See if that helps

Last edited by ShotsFired911; 01/18/2013 at 11:05 PM.
ShotsFired911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/18/2013, 11:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
FROM MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotsFired911 View Post
The funny thing is I have 2 Eclipse's now and had 3. Do you know all 3! made this noise . 2 Different mechanics told me its the lifters in the engine. I bought the stuff to quiet them down but I of course added it right before I needed an oil change . Its recomended you do an oil change first but before adding the new oil add the lifter stuff. See if that helps
you change the lifters in the engine and the noise gone?
Old 01/19/2013, 02:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Vehicle: My 2 Eclipse's :-)
ShotsFired911 : who are you?
Pretty much
ShotsFired911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/19/2013, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Re: V6 Start-up rattle

I have 104,000 on mine and I just put pennzoil 5w30 in it.
Old 04/12/2013, 10:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

I finally started taking apart the engine front end to replace the timing cover and I saw this...

The ring with fins (crankshaft sensing blade) fits on the crankshaft and in between a groove in the engine casting and the crankshaft sensor. Behind that and to the back of the crankshaft pulley assembly is that thick metal washer (crankshaft spacer).

Now I think they have come disconnected over time and that's been causing the rattling. Maybe when the engine heats up, the two dowel things that hold them in place heat up and expand, locking them into place. You can see the 2 holes where those 2 pins hold everything together

I also noticed that my camshaft pulley and camshaft sprocket are both fused together (like mentioned in another thread)

Could that be the cause of the rattle? I'm soaking my sprocket/pulley in some oil and I hope to get them separated tomorrow. I really don't want to buy new ones

Last edited by ieatglue; 04/12/2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04/13/2013, 05:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Update:

I got the sprocket and pulley separated, replaced the timing belt components and water pump, and put it all back together. After starting it up, the sound returned. I'm starting to believe it's something inside the heads
Old 04/19/2013, 10:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Is my timing off? The belt is taught. All I need to do is install the tensioner tomorrow when I pick it up.

It looks like the right bank sprocket is off by a tooth, but I'm not 100% sure

Old 04/19/2013, 10:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
front cam does look a tooth off.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/19/2013, 11:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

I'll adjust it accordingly tomorrow morning. Always good to get a second opinion

Thanks!
Old 04/21/2013, 12:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

The crank sprocket was a tooth off. Both cams were 1/2 a tooth off, so I rotated them to line up with the marks and pulled the belt tight and around the crank sprocket. Changed out the tensioner today too. Problem solved!! Smooth as buttah

Here's the faulty tensioner. Enough play to make the belt do the harlem shake

^ Click for video

And here are the parts I replaced

Last edited by ieatglue; 04/21/2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04/21/2013, 02:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Premium Member

Vehicle: 04 STI
Danielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regular
The cam was off because you were installing the belt with the marks on time. You usually can't do that, you either rotate the crank pulley clockwise 1 tooth or the rear cam gear counter clockwise one tooth. The one tooth extra lets you take up the slack and be on time when the belt is tightened. Just a future timing belt installation tip.
Danielv2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/21/2013, 10:16 AM   #27 (permalink)

That's what I ended up doing. After an hour of trying, I figured there was a trick to it
Old 04/21/2013, 05:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Premium Member

Vehicle: 04 STI
Danielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regularDanielv2008 should be considered a regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatglue View Post
That's what I ended up doing. After an hour of trying, I figured there was a trick to it
Danielv2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.