car turns over but wont start?? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/25/2013, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse
2000 eclipse : who are you?
car turns over but wont start??

I have a 2000 eclipse gt 3.0 v6 that turns over but wont start tryed jump starting it wont start any sugestions on why this is? Thanks for the help.
2000 eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/25/2013, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Back in the OK

Vehicle: 2000 Primer Grey GS 5 sp.
mitsobeastly : who are you?
pull off the intake tube and spray starting fluid. if it starts then you arent getting fuel. check fuses
mitsobeastly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/25/2013, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Already tryed the starting fluid still nothin is there any fuses that would cause it not to start but turn over?
Thanks for the help I also can smell fuel wen turning it over

Last edited by 2000 eclipse; 01/25/2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: forgot somthinng
Old 01/25/2013, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Back in the OK

My dad always told me "if it aint the fuel its the spark!" and that has served me very well. But try this! The universal fix all for Comp. Cont. vehicles is to unhook the battery for about 30 mins and reset the computer. Try that and then if it doesn't work address the spark issue.

As far as fuses im not sure about the v6 but there is almost always a fuse for ignition/distributor componets. And remember there are two fuse panels. The one inside the driver door/dash and the relay box under the hood.

Side note: Make sure you aren't hitting the gas. If you flood that engine you might as well start pulling spark plugs. And any extra info you have might help. If it sputtered and died, if you came out and it just wouldnt start, is it sputtering or trying to start or just cranking. good luck

Last edited by mitsobeastly; 01/25/2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01/25/2013, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks and I drove it the other night went to start it and only turnes over ran fine before I turned it off then like I said I went to move it and wouldn't start
Old 01/25/2013, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Back in the OK

Yeah i would just try resetting everything, if that doesnt work check all fuses and then connections on spark components. Are those coil packs or a distributor?
Old 01/25/2013, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok thanks and just by having the battery unhooked that will reset it? And I'm not sure its a 2000 eclipse gt 3.0 v6
Old 01/25/2013, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Back in the OK

Ok I looked and I believe that car has a distributor so follow a plug wire from the engine back and it should come to a round thing with seven plug wires. Seven? yes one of them goes to the coil. make sure the one to the coil is on there real good and on the coil good. (the coil is the big cylinder that seventh wire leads to. But try resetting everything first. And yes unhooking the battery for about 30 mins will give the computer a chance to "reset". I think they might even run the diagnostic after words. anywho it fixes alot of problems. The only thing it will change is you will haved to re do your clock and radio presets.
Old 01/25/2013, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok thank u and were is the distiputor located not goo with cars I journal work on trucks. Thanks for the help and the patients
Old 01/25/2013, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Back in the OK

to be honest i think its on the driver side of the engine but i am not sure. I honestly doubt that is the problem though just one more thing to check. Go ahead and reset it and while you are waiting check your fuses to pass time. If that doesnt fix it just pm me and I will give you my number and walk you through checking the distributor and whatever else we need to check. And dont worry about my time. I have alot of it and I hate to see people having problems with their cars. Just try that and let me know if it works for you.
Old 01/25/2013, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok thats ready appreciate it and I'm in Wisconsin so it will be tomorrow first wen I get a chance to but I will let UK if that works or not thats again
Old 01/25/2013, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Back in the OK

Wisconsin huh? Well try to stay warm. I know how the weather is there. I hope everything works for ya and just let me know tomorrow. Good luck.
Old 01/25/2013, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ya Wisconsin and i will thanks for the help ill last UK the outcome tomorrow thanks again
Old 01/25/2013, 11:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
RS-T in the making

Vehicle: gts/rst
goldsplat2 is as useful as a bag of dicks.goldsplat2 is as useful as a bag of dicks.goldsplat2 is as useful as a bag of dicks.goldsplat2 is as useful as a bag of dicks.goldsplat2 is as useful as a bag of dicks.goldsplat2 is as useful as a bag of dicks.

Did it die while driving or just overnight it died? Try pouring fuel down its throat and see what happens, if that dont work pull up a spark plug boot and hold the end of it close to a ground while someone cranks the engine to test for spark. One of those tests should determine the cause of no-start. As for fixing ill need more info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01/25/2013, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

War kind of info?
Old 01/26/2013, 02:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Back in the OK

He means the info you already posted above. And you know its not fuel so dont worry about the gas thing. If ya want to test spark just to see you dont have to pull a spark plug. Just pull the wire, stick a bolt in the plug wire and hold it about a half an inch(just a little gap) from any metal on the engine and have someone crank, watch for spark. Make sure you hold the wire and not the bolt so ya dont get shocked.

Last edited by mitsobeastly; 01/26/2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01/26/2013, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ok thank u I'm goin to try it
Old 01/26/2013, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have spark spell gas and all wires r on tight cleaned the battery cables and still only turns over but wen i stop. Cranking it I can hear the outcome still ranking for a second we two any ideas?
Old 01/29/2013, 05:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GS Turbo
Turbo Eclipse : who are you?

I have a 2000 eclipse GS giving me the same problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXV_qFrvTU
Turbo Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/29/2013, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
First Car

Vehicle: 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
New2Mitsu : who are you?
You may want to check compression of each cylinder. It's not likely your culprit as you had just turned it off and let it sit. Was it idling funny before final shutdown? Or lack in power? If its getting fuel and spark there cant be much left to check. Unless timing is way out of wack that it wont even try to start. But then you may have something more serious on your hands...
Old 01/30/2013, 03:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

Vehicle: '03 GTS Spyder 6G75
TurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by all
Kind of hard to hear on my computer but it sounds like it's out of time, like the timing belt skipped a few teeth.
TurtleTamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/01/2013, 02:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ideas idling low before I turned it off tomorrow I'm goin to try talking thee intake manifold off and check the three plugs that r under that but y do I hear the pistons still cranking over after I stop?
Old 02/01/2013, 07:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

SleepGlass needs to be reminded to breathe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Eclipse View Post
I have a 2000 eclipse GS giving me the same problem. Help - YouTube
i think you f'ed up your timing belt, i think i did too, we have the same number on mileage btw
Old 02/06/2013, 10:18 AM   #24 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 Eclipse GT
ECLIPSE6G72 can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
I have a 2002 eclipse gt and it was running well until I tried turning it on it turns on sometimes but would stay on when
I'm pressing on the gas pedal when I let it go it turns off now it just turns over and doesn't start I checked the
Sparks
Injector
Compression
New battery postals
Fuses and nun
Any help plz!!
ECLIPSE6G72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2013, 07:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
First Car

Vehicle: 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
New2Mitsu : who are you?
Yeah, I would bet on timing. I'm not sure in your level of skill with working on cars, but you can take off a couple of the sheilds and find your timing marks, from there, turn the crank and see if it's still lined up, or just crank it with the ignition until one of the wheels lines up with a timing mark. Then look at the other marks and try and find the marks on the wheels/bearings/oil pump, and make sure there all aligned.

Goodluck, if there not you may be in some real crap. Hopefully no bent valves, scortched pistons, scratched walls. Stupid interference engine!!!

Best of Luck,

New2Mitsu
Old 02/13/2013, 06:25 PM   #26 (permalink)

giustoo : who are you?
Did you have any luck figuring out the problem? I am having the same issue, the only way to start my car is to pop the clutch, jumping will not work. Thanks.
giustoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 10:33 AM   #27 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Spyder GS
cmarris : who are you?
If you still have issues after all the advice given, pull the throttle body and clean it out really good. check out the iac, make sure that it is in good condition and make sure the tps is reading correct. I had a no start condition on my 3g ant that fixed it for me
cmarris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/10/2013, 08:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

So ive took the intake off cleaned it with carb cleaner and a tooth brush put it all back to tether and nothing just turns over then someone it back fires. I can smell gas in the oil and can light the dip stick on fire. Any help would be aprciated
Old 03/10/2013, 08:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 Eclipse GS
Menace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by all
sounds like your rings are bad if you are getting fuel into the oilpan
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/11/2013, 12:52 AM   #30 (permalink)

Wouldn't it still start Evans tho the rings r bad? And I did put was I believe in it as bad gas from mail trip so tomorrow imagine try draining the tank and put fresh fuel in and c if that works
Old 01/29/2014, 08:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

brandon.nance : who are you?
Similar situation here

I have a 2000 eclipse GT 3.0 also. Mine has had the same problem and still has a somewhat similar problem. when it wouldn't start at all there is a relay under the hood I replaced that and it worked again. However mine still has a slow start on a regular basis. And if I try to start it right after driving it I have this same issue all over again. Its a real slow crank but won't start until I let it sit for like an hour or so unless I pop the clutch. real annoying problem to deal with. Any ideas would be awesome.
brandon.nance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/30/2014, 10:21 AM   #32 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse Spyder GTS
gabessdsp seems to be okaygabessdsp seems to be okaygabessdsp seems to be okaygabessdsp seems to be okaygabessdsp seems to be okaygabessdsp seems to be okay
Send a message via Skype™ to gabessdsp
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon.nance View Post
I have a 2000 eclipse GT 3.0 also. Mine has had the same problem and still has a somewhat similar problem. when it wouldn't start at all there is a relay under the hood I replaced that and it worked again. However mine still has a slow start on a regular basis. And if I try to start it right after driving it I have this same issue all over again. Its a real slow crank but won't start until I let it sit for like an hour or so unless I pop the clutch. real annoying problem to deal with. Any ideas would be awesome.
There's a cool button on the forums called "New Thread" so that people don't have to bump year old or older threads.
gabessdsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.