HELP!!!!car cranks over but wont start... - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/12/2013, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

joey87 : who are you?
HELP!!!!car cranks over but wont start...

ok i have a 03 gt auto, one morning i went out and started my car just like normal, drove for about 10 minutes and as i was pulling into a parking lot the car just died. I double checked that i had plenty of gas, checked my fuses, and reset the battery, and the car would crank over, just not start. so i towed it home. since then i have replaced the fuel pump and the distributor cap and rotor button and still, cranks over but wont start. the engine light comes on when i first cycle the switch on but then goes back off after a few seconds, so im assuming no codes and no bad sensors? the fuel pump does not prime when i cycle the switch on, but i do hear it come on while the engine is cranking over, and i have checked for spark, not positive i checked it correctly, but from what i could tell i wasnt getting spark at the spark plug wire. any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated seeing as how this is my only source of transportation. thanks
joey87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/12/2013, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

and just for the record, i did spray starting fluid in the throttle body while trying to start it...still nothing. if the crank sensor was bad wouldnt it throw a cel? the engine light does come on when i first cycle the switch on but it does go off after a few seconds.
Old 04/12/2013, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

Vehicle: '03 GTS Spyder 6G75
TurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by all
Eh, if the car won't run it likely won't throw a code. It's very possible your crank position sensor wires got caught in the timing belt and got eaten through.
TurtleTamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/12/2013, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have inspected the wires and the best I can tell they are intact and in good shape...is there anyway to test the sensor before I go out and buy a new one?
Old 04/12/2013, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Electrify

Vehicle: 2001 Black Eclipse GT
grfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by all
Other than a visual check, go look at the FSM. There is a way to check voltage output/signal there with an ohm meter. It's hard to get to bec its almost halfway through a timing belt job (on a v6 anyway.)
grfft3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/12/2013, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

TurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by all
I was just looking into this but my browser took a shit. I'll try again.

Look here:

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/13B.PDF

at 13B-250. If you don't have an O-scope I imagine a noid light can be used if it'll pick up 5VDC. A test light might even show a pulse. A Multimeter probably couldn't be used here.

Last edited by TurtleTamer; 04/12/2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04/13/2013, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

So from the research I've done, if I do take the shot in the dark and replace the crank sensor, I might as well go ahead and do the timing belt and water pump too?
Old 04/13/2013, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

If you don't know when it was done last, I'd say do it anyway and have a look at the wires for your crank sensor as well.
Old 04/29/2013, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

cuinterrupted : who are you?
Did you find the problem?

Quote:
ok i have a 03 gt auto, one morning i went out and started my car just like normal, drove for about 10 minutes and as i was pulling into a parking lot the car just died. I double checked that i had plenty of gas, checked my fuses, and reset the battery, and the car would crank over, just not start. so i towed it home. since then i have replaced the fuel pump and the distributor cap and rotor button and still, cranks over but wont start. the engine light comes on when i first cycle the switch on but then goes back off after a few seconds, so im assuming no codes and no bad sensors? the fuel pump does not prime when i cycle the switch on, but i do hear it come on while the engine is cranking over, and i have checked for spark, not positive i checked it correctly, but from what i could tell i wasnt getting spark at the spark plug wire. any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated seeing as how this is my only source of transportation. thanks
I have the same issues except I had just left gas station after purchasing super and while shifting into 5th gear car died but lights and radio and everything still had power. So did you find a solution or what the problem was? Please reply with good news as I am beside myself because I have only had the car 2 months and prior to my Eclipse I had an ordeal with one of the defective Honda Accords and their bad transmissions where as my car was broke down for three years I don't think I can go through this with another car again....at least my sanity cannot.....
cuinterrupted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/03/2013, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

taylerjade02e : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey87 View Post

I have some what a similar issue, last week i go out and start my car, it starts fine. I get in and I don't even make it out of my drive way and it dies. It will crank but won't start. We checked the spark, I do have spark. We've checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. When checked the fuel pump relays and they seemed to "click" when we put my key into the ON position. So we decided to change the fuel pump, still no start. When we try to start my car we do not hear the fuel pump kick on and we are un sure what turns the fuel pump on other than the fuel pump relays. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with my car?? HELP!! Also my gas gauge isn't working now that we changed my fuel pump.
taylerjade02e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/03/2013, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

taylerjade02e : who are you?
okay this is random, but i found that you replied a few months ago to another guy with a similar issue that I am having.. so I was curious if you had a minute
taylerjade02e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/03/2013, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse
2000 eclipse : who are you?
I had the same problem my car would just crank and crank and wouldn't start I had to change my entire distributor on my car turned the key and started right up I would try that. got mine from the junk yard for 25 bucks
2000 eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/04/2013, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: '03 GTS
SnowTaipan : who are you?
Just a couple thoughts from my experience with a prelude with the same problem.

If you have a car that cranks and wont start, check your fuel. If you have fuel, have someone stand by your fuel pump and see if it is priming when you turn your ignition switch from off to on.

If it's priming, check your fuel lines to your rails (check for bends and crack one open and see if fuel is making it to your rail while you crank (WITH A FRIGGIN EXTIGUISHER NEARBY))

If it is not priming, DO NO PLUCK AND CHUCK A $600 PUMP! Get under your dash board and try tapping on your main fuel relay. It is usually a 20-75 dollar part (compare at $600 for a new pump) and when a fuel relay goes out, your pump wont get power: ergo you will crank but not start.
Old 04/07/2014, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

leadfootslg : who are you?
i have on 03 v6 manual gts that will almost turn over but the second i let the key come back to On position it dies...i have a new fuel pump and distributor...my question is if the MVIM would cause it not to start because im getting a lean code...o and the car doesnt have to run to have codes all it has to do is turn cycle a few times
leadfootslg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/07/2014, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Eclipse aficionado

Vehicle: 00 eclipse gt
*Riceburner* : who are you?
My wife has an 02 gs with a similar issue. Replacement fuel pump and switched relays and it had turned out to be PCM which is something you guys shouldn't necessarily rule out. Her timing is fine, compression good and getting spark yet no start. Sprayed starting fluid in the tb and the vehicle fires up. Just figured I'd share a bit of my experience with these no start threads, good luck.
*Riceburner* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/08/2014, 03:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

That's deffinatly something I will remember but the GS normally comes with the 4cyl...plus the ecu is around 200 on ebay...i was hoping for something a little cheaper since i exhausted my borrow money fund buying the new distributor(which did help me get it home since it was stranded in the parking lot of my new work)...but now i cant even get it to fire up with my foot on the gas...anybody know a good place for computer flashing here in indianapolis?
Old 04/08/2014, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Eclipse aficionado

Vehicle: 00 eclipse gt
*Riceburner* : who are you?
From my understanding, a flash won't do anything for a pcm which is malfunctioned, the only fix is a new/used one in working order. We had tried every cheap solution and every test imaginable until we figured off to the dealership it went. I had told the lead technician that I suspected the pcm was out (thanks club3g) due to it's symptoms and having testing everything else possible. They gave us a call a day later and just as we had thought the Pcm is out. A new unit from dealership with coded keys is 2000$. Good luck man!
*Riceburner* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/11/2014, 02:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

well the car randomly didnt start after i got off work one day...it drove just fine the whole way to work...found the fuel pump fuse blew and that it had a cam code so i tried a fuse and it blew again so i tried a fuel pump and now it doesnt blow anymore but it still didnt start so i put a distributor/cam sensor in it and now it will run with your foot on the gas but dies instantly if u take your foot off...i hooked up a pressure gauge and the needle bounces from 40 to just above 50 extremely fast and i can also hear the injectors in the front ticking extremely loudly when under 1000 rmps...the one closes to the regulator ticks the loudest...do you happen to know a good way to test the regulator...o and i have a lean code for that bank as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.