Help Please! P0403 Error - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/14/2005, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bonta-Kun

Vehicle: School, Work, Drive
JediRoger : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to JediRoger
Help Please! P0403 Error

Hey all,

Popped this code recently,

P0403 - EGR Flow Circuit Malfunction

I did a search and came up with this thread, I realized this member fixed his problem by replacing an EGR Solenoid. Before I go to schedule an appointment with the dealership and spend 135+ I wanted to make sure if there was anything else I can do to fix this problem.

I've tried the following (Under JoesinBoston's Suggestions)

1) I've checked to make sure there were no crack/leaks in the Vacuum lines.
2) Checked to make sure the EGR was actually still there ( )

I got the code while driving down to Connecticut I was driving back and forth between MA and CT in short intervals. I might have pushed the car too far with all that driving. The Autozone Tech/Service person suggested that my EGR Tube might be dirty or backed-up with Carbon. I'm not sure how to remove the EGR ATM to check, but i'll take a closer look tommorow. I currently only have 37,000 Miles on the Eclipse so I don't believe its the EGR Tube backed up.

Any Suggestions would be helpful.

-Roger

Last edited by JediRoger; 08/22/2005 at 07:12 PM.
JediRoger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/18/2005, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bonta-Kun

bump any suggestions ?
Old 08/08/2005, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's HERBIE Hancock!

Vehicle: '01 Eclipse GT
Trombino : who are you?
Hey guys,
I just started throwing the same code (p0403) last Sunday. I finally got around to taking it to the dealer today. I'll post up the results as soon as I know.

-Trombino
Trombino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/08/2005, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's HERBIE Hancock!

Update --> Picked the car up at 5:00 p.m., with no code. Drove home, approximately 20 min away on an expressway --> Still no code. Let the car sit for a few minutes, went back out, started it up --> P0403 Again.

I'm not usually one to bash people, but it seems like they just cleared the code and parked it outside (oh and took my $80 to tell me something I already knew). I mean they didn't even drive it enough to reset the ECU. Perhaps if they did, they would have known they didn't fix the problem. Anyways, I will be returning the car to them in the morning and hopefully they will be able to get it straightened out RIGHT this time. By the way, have you guys noticed any driveability issues. I mean, it doesn't seem to effect anything, other than the fact that it is damn annoying.
Old 08/08/2005, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bonta-Kun

I still have the code currently, either the EGR Pipe is blocked up with Carbon or the EGR Solenoid is not opening/closing correctly. Well thats what i've been hearing anyways. I've been looking online on sites like www.car-parts.com for the EGR Solenoid so far no luck. Maybe its not listed as an EGR Solenoid ? If you find out anything more please let me know.
Old 08/09/2005, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Land Shark!

Vehicle: 2001 Evo 7
evil6remlin : who are you?evil6remlin : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to evil6remlin
when I threw the p0400 code which was EGR flow malfunction, all I did was change out the EGR valve and it fixed the problem.
evil6remlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/09/2005, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's HERBIE Hancock!

Ok..The dealership replaced the EGR valve today. They took it out and drove it around and the light DID come back on. The service supervisor told me that it must be the ECU, so they ordered a new one and its supposed to be here on Friday. Best Part --> Everything is under warranty. The $80 I spent yesterday is all I am going to have out of pocket Seems like a lot to go through for a code like this, but at least its under warranty ('01 w/ 49,000 miles)
Old 08/09/2005, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bonta-Kun

Let me know how it goes, I hope they dont really have to change out the ECU I have an '01 also and only 38,000 miles but I also bought it back in 2001 don't think I have a warranty left.
Old 08/10/2005, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's HERBIE Hancock!

For what its worth, I didn't even buy my car at the dealership. I bought it from another individual and I don't believe that he bought it there either. I was under the impression that some parts were covered as part of the basic warranty, i.e. the drivetrain warranty, 7 yr corrosion warranty, etc.. in which case, the warranty info is tracked by the VIN, and it doesn't matter who brings the car in. Might be something to check into.
Old 08/10/2005, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Eclipse GT
jcarlilesiu : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
If the car is under warrenty, why did you pay anything at all?
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/10/2005, 05:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's HERBIE Hancock!

It is not a full warranty. Eventhough I knew what the code was, they still charged me the $80 diagnostic fee. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that all of our cars have a warranty over certain parts. Normally they would have charged me for replacing the EGR valve, but they ate the cost due to the fact that I had to bring the car back within 12 hrs of picking it up. If it wasn't for that fact, I believe I would have had to pay for the EGR valve and labor. However, I believe the ECU is covered by under some sort of limited warranty that comes with the car. First off, there is no way an ECU should be shot on a car with 50k miles. I'll talk with the guy at the dealership on Friday and try and get some more details.
Old 08/10/2005, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Spyder GTS
Pop-O-Matic : who are you?
The ecu for your car is covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty - It explicity states that the ECU is covered for 8 years / 80k miles.
Pop-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/10/2005, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's not purple!

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT, 5spd
Blu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends here
Send a message via AIM to Blu_GT
egr itself, or the egr port at intake plenum could have gotten cloged up with goo that builds up over time though.

Eyes on the prize
Blu_GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/20/2005, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
It's HERBIE Hancock!

I just picked my car back up this morning. I was in Chicago all of last week, so I let the guys at the garage keep it from Monday to Friday. I talked to the mechanic and he said the replacement EGR valve they put on two weeks ago was faulty, so they put on another one. As of late, no more code. Now I am wondering if they even needed to replace the ECU.
Old 08/20/2005, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Never Too Much HP

Vehicle: 01 Strat R/T
myrt : who are you?myrt : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to myrt
i am a little confused, you guys keep saying is a circulation fault, but isant that code a circut fault or am i missing something?
myrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/21/2005, 12:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
New daddy

Vehicle: 2000 Northstar White GT
MattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt
i am a little confused, you guys keep saying is a circulation fault, but isant that code a circut fault or am i missing something?
The ECU uses a 1 bar MAP sensor (manifold pressure differential sensor) on top of the intake manifold to check egr flow.
MattS00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/21/2005, 01:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Never Too Much HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteclipse00
The ECU uses a 1 bar MAP sensor (manifold pressure differential sensor) on top of the intake manifold to check egr flow.
yes that is correct but if you look at the person that started this thread a long time ago you will see where i got my question from...
Old 08/21/2005, 02:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
New daddy

Vehicle: 2000 Northstar White GT
MattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt
yes that is correct but if you look at the person that started this thread a long time ago you will see where i got my question from...
Your right. I didn't really look into that. I just took it for face value that this was a flow problem not a circuit problem. The P0403=Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction.
MattS00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/24/2005, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's not purple!

Blu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends hereBlu_GT has a few friends here
just threw this code today ....

Reseted it so far, gonna see if it comes back on (probably). This is really not the time for extra expenses...

Eyes on the prize
Old 10/05/2005, 08:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
It's not purple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombino
I just picked my car back up this morning. I was in Chicago all of last week, so I let the guys at the garage keep it from Monday to Friday. I talked to the mechanic and he said the replacement EGR valve they put on two weeks ago was faulty, so they put on another one. As of late, no more code. Now I am wondering if they even needed to replace the ECU.
SO looks like just getting a new egr valve is the fix for this code?

Eyes on the prize
Old 10/11/2005, 12:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Never Too Much HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_GT
SO looks like just getting a new egr valve is the fix for this code?
for most people that is correct. but for me i have still not found the problem. i did the steps in the service manual and i think my ECU took a shit...
Old 11/05/2009, 05:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 eclipse gt
shift : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to shift
Hey all,

I got a 02 gt with 90k on it. i got the same code (p0403) not too long ago. i dont think im under the protection of any warranty. if i do need to get a new EGR valve, any suggestions?
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/15/2009, 11:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse GT murdered
PFC WODA : who are you?
bump
i just threw the same code, took it to my guy and they tested the valve and that was fine then they started diagnosing the solenoid, he wasnt exactly sure bc he couldnt get any voltage from it but he says his diag. computer isnt comepletely up to date
any suggestios( i.e. just replace the solenoid or what too look for ) and why it might not be sending any voltage to his comp?
PFC WODA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.