cold shifting - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10/28/2005, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
git sum

Vehicle: 06 GT30R WRX
tanz1983 : who are you?
cold shifting

does anyone else have a problem with shifting when the tranny is cold?
tanz1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/28/2005, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cantankerous Tank Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse
gst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okay
Send a message via ICQ to gst4g64 Send a message via AIM to gst4g64 Send a message via MSN to gst4g64 Send a message via Yahoo to gst4g64 Send a message via Skype™ to gst4g64
try a different tranny fluid.
gst4g64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/28/2005, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
git sum

Vehicle: 06 GT30R WRX
tanz1983 : who are you?
cool. i was hoping that's what it could be.
tanz1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/28/2005, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pee in the sink

Vehicle: 2005 Black GTS
stylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-wide
Not really, but I switched to the Scott Gray mix first week I had the car.
stylez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/28/2005, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
bollocks

Vehicle: 04 Z/00 3g
darklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to darklink Send a message via MSN to darklink Send a message via Yahoo to darklink
i dont have a manual, but i would think that due to a colder temp, the oil is thicker, and therefore your shifts would be a little harder.
darklink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/28/2005, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stealth Assassin

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
F_Rod81 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez
Not really, but I switched to the Scott Gray mix first week I had the car.
I had the same problem. The only diff. is that I used REDLINE 85w-95w trany fluid, (the same thats in the EVO VIII). Since then I noticed a big + difference in shifting, especially @ high temp., but since I live in CO I still get the cold shift every once in a while. As long as you let your car warm up enough, you should be fine.
F_Rod81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2005, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: '06 Peterbilt 386
JW_Cleve : who are you?JW_Cleve : who are you?
the only time I do get stiff cold shifting is when it's below 32F outside. Other than that, not really. mine's a 03 GTS 5-spd BTW and am using the stock tranny fluid.

most stick shift cars I've owned have done this in cold weather, and it does have to do with the tranny fluid not being warmed up first is all. on colder mornings, try letting the car idle up a couple minutes before you drive it is all. cures 99% of cold shifting right there and then and try to be gentle on shifting until the car's temp is in the normal operating range.
JW_Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2005, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: White 2000GT
Street3g : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Street3g
Yeah mine is terrible when its cold. Especially trying to get it into 2nd......forget about it. Letting the car idle for a couple of minutes does the trick though. It sucks when you wake up in the morning and your late for school or work,and you don't have time to let it ilde.
Street3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2005, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

CrippleFight : who are you?
shifting sucked not matter what the temp was with the stock fluid. Now i have the "Scott Grey mix" and its a ton better, but in the cold chicago winter mornings its still hard to get into reverse
CrippleFight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/30/2005, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Formerly Nokio

Vehicle: Kia Sorento
Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Korey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtz7485
try a different tranny fluid.
Old 10/30/2005, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Formerly Nokio

Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?
I don't get it....what does fluid have to do with the car not going into gear? I've always wondered that...
That seems more like a "mechanical" problem, than something that involves fluid...
Old 10/30/2005, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
New daddy

Vehicle: 2000 Northstar White GT
MattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends here
When you shift there is a layer of oil between the syncro and the gear. This oil needs to be squeezed out of that space before syncro can get the gear to the correct speed so the hub can slide over the gear. When the oil is cold, it is thicker and less likely to flow. You can use a slightly thinner oil like B&G syncroshift or redline MTL. You can also use a mixture of the two different types of oil aka "Scot Gray Mix". Right now I am using 2 quarts Redline MT-90 and 1 quart Redline MTL. However, now that it is getting colder I wish I would have used 2 quarts of MTL.

Also, there is an adjusment on the side to side shifter movement that I had never read or heard about until I had to take my transmission apart. It is underneath the battery tray. There are two bolts that hold the lever that the small shifter bushing is attacted to. The holes on the lever base are slotted. If you find the sweet spot your car will shift smoooooooth. If this lever is out of adjustment the mechanism inside of the transmission will try to push on two shift forks at the same time. This will cause the shifter in your hand to feel like it is hanging up as you are going into gear. However, getting this adjustment just right is a PITA.

Another problem that I ran into was that the bushings on the transmission end of the shifter cables were rusted to the pins of the shift levers. This took away a pivot point and caused very rough shifting. To prevent this, take the shifter cables off, sand the shift lever pins with fine sand paper, sand the inside of the metal sleeve of the shifter bushings, and grease all surfaces with axle grease.

Another trick is to take out the center console so you can see your shifter. Loosen the four bolts that hold the shifter base to the bottom of the car. You should be able to move the shifter base around a little to find the sweet spot. Basically this allows you to adjust the tension on the shifter cables. This will not work if you have the ES shifter base bushings though, because they are too hard to deform.

I have come to the conclusion that cable shifters suck.
MattS00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/31/2005, 12:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Formerly Nokio

I see.
So even though my car is an auto, does it still have a hard time shifting into 2nd? I mean, it doesn't seem like it....actually, when the car is dead cold...it shifts a hell of a lot smoother...wierd. Its a smooth, shift that kinda "blends" into the next gear. Very noticible on the 1-2 shift. Once the car is warm, the shifts are faster, but more abrupt. Been like that since I bought it, and I've flushed it.
Old 10/31/2005, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
New daddy

Vehicle: 2000 Northstar White GT
MattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends hereMattS00 has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio
I see.
So even though my car is an auto, does it still have a hard time shifting into 2nd? I mean, it doesn't seem like it....actually, when the car is dead cold...it shifts a hell of a lot smoother...wierd. Its a smooth, shift that kinda "blends" into the next gear. Very noticible on the 1-2 shift. Once the car is warm, the shifts are faster, but more abrupt. Been like that since I bought it, and I've flushed it.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about a 5spd. I don't know jack about automatics, and I only just learned about 5spds because I had to take mine apart.
MattS00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/23/2007, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
e-thug hating.

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GT
Katsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street3g View Post
Yeah mine is terrible when its cold. Especially trying to get it into 2nd......forget about it. Letting the car idle for a couple of minutes does the trick though. It sucks when you wake up in the morning and your late for school or work,and you don't have time to let it ilde.
i hear yah buddy...
Katsuramoneh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.