What are signs/symptoms of bad Wheel Hub? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/25/2006, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Vehicle: 2000 Silver GT
THE_SilverBullet is similar to TE
Send a message via AIM to THE_SilverBullet Send a message via MSN to THE_SilverBullet Send a message via Yahoo to THE_SilverBullet
What are signs/symptoms of bad Wheel Hub?

Does anyone know what the warning signs or symptoms are if you have a bad front wheel hub? Reason I ask, is Im not sure what noise Im hearing when driving. Its the drivers side front wheel. Sounds as if its almost out of round, but Im sure its not. Just had them balanced and aligned correctly and they are fairly new tires in great shape. No brake/rotor problems either. The sound is somewhat speed related, where when I first start moving, the sound is slower, then gets faster as I go faster, but mostly as speeds under 30-40mph. Doesnt seem to be noticeable at higher speeds, but cant be certain its stil not there. I realize this could be something other then a bad wheel hub, but what are the signs of a bad wheel hub? A month or so ago, I did notice when putting my front tire back on, one of the lugs wasnt on tight or snug (the other 4 were at the time) and when I noticed it and corrected it, the lug wouldnt go on flush right away. I had to be a little patient for it to go on correctly at the time. Not sure if that would be my problem, but this noise has been there before that lug nut problem anyway. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 04/25/2006, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
bollocks

Vehicle: 04 Z/00 3g
darklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to darklink Send a message via MSN to darklink Send a message via Yahoo to darklink
Well if the alignment took, it doesn't sound like the hub. Jack up the suspected wheel, and see if you can push on it and move it back and forth. If you can, the hub is shot.
darklink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/25/2006, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lubisz To Suko!

Vehicle: 2012 Subaru Impreza STI
cinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to cinek10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklink
Well if the alignment took, it doesn't sound like the hub. Jack up the suspected wheel, and see if you can push on it and move it back and forth. If you can, the hub is shot.

i had the same problem with my back wheels, i heard a humming sound from the back and couldnt really tell where it was coming from, i suspected the hubs, i moved the wheels in and out and there was no movement, after i changed the hubs the sound went away
cinek10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/25/2006, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
well saying "i have a sound at such and such when i do such and such" isnt very helpful without a clear description of the sound.

a bent hub will cause the wheel and rotor to spin untrue. what ya'll talking bout is bad wheel bearings or worn ball joints. wheel bearings will make a grumbling growling sound and can cause the wheel to be a little loose when the cars off the ground.

worn ball joint/s can cause looseness and a rumbling or hollow popping sound as well as (if its really gone to hell) some erratic steering. it'll feel like a drunk man with ADD is jerking the wheel back and forth and you're playing catchup behind him to keep the car going in a straight line.

the CLASSIC sign of a bent front hub is...when lightly braking at low speed on a smooth quiet road you hear intermittent pad to rotor contact. sort of like chuh chuh chuh which is consistent in speed in relation to the speed of the car. thats because the hub is bent and the rotor is touching the brake pad a little bit and you're hearing it.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/25/2006, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Vehicle: 2000 Silver GT
THE_SilverBullet is similar to TE
Send a message via AIM to THE_SilverBullet Send a message via MSN to THE_SilverBullet Send a message via Yahoo to THE_SilverBullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter
well saying "i have a sound at such and such when i do such and such" isnt very helpful without a clear description of the sound.
if its not very helpful, then no need for your input now, is there?
Old 04/26/2006, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
bollocks

Vehicle: 04 Z/00 3g
darklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to darklink Send a message via MSN to darklink Send a message via Yahoo to darklink
Quote:

a bent hub will cause the wheel and rotor to spin untrue. what ya'll talking bout is bad wheel bearings or worn ball joints. wheel bearings will make a grumbling growling sound and can cause the wheel to be a little loose when the cars off the ground.

worn ball joint/s can cause looseness and a rumbling or hollow popping sound as well as (if its really gone to hell) some erratic steering. it'll feel like a drunk man with ADD is jerking the wheel back and forth and you're playing catchup behind him to keep the car going in a straight line.

the CLASSIC sign of a bent front hub is...when lightly braking at low speed on a smooth quiet road you hear intermittent pad to rotor contact. sort of like chuh chuh chuh which is consistent in speed in relation to the speed of the car. thats because the hub is bent and the rotor is touching the brake pad a little bit and you're hearing it.
The hub/bearing is all one assembly on the 3g, I have replaced them twice now.
darklink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/26/2006, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: '06 Peterbilt 386
JW_Cleve : who are you?JW_Cleve : who are you?
from what it sounds like, what you are describing could be a possible bad wheel bearing, but it could be a few other things as well (ball joint and possible sticking rotor as well come to mind). Hard to say without actually hearing it in person....

here's a real lame easy way to check a hub bearing that's accurate most of the time but not always: jack the suspected wheel up, and with the car in neutral, spin the wheel. you can sometimes hear the bearings grinding and crunching, and most of the time you can feel a mild pulsation if you put your hand on the spring around the front strut. this isn't the actual way to check this, but it does work like 9 out of 10 times usually.

the real way is to get the wheel up in the air, and with the car in neutral, place your hands first at the 12 and 6 o'clock position on the tire and give it a mild shake back n forth (that is, push in torwards the car with one hand while pulling torwards you with the other, alternating back and forth which hand is pulling and which hand is pushing). Next, do the same at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and you can do it at the 10 and 5 o'clock positions as well as a follow up if you like. What you are looking for is looseness. The 10 and 5 o'clock position can help narrow the field down quite a bit in most cases. If you do feel any looseness, get under there and repeat the shake down (all of em, and it's easier if you get a bud involved here to shake it for you...) while physically looking at your front end parts. you will see what's loose when you do.
JW_Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/27/2006, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Drastic Racing

Vehicle: 2003 Evo VIII
00Clipse : who are you?00Clipse : who are you?
it definitely sounds like the hub. not very hard to replace
00Clipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/03/2006, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GS
CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to CujoJpN Send a message via MSN to CujoJpN
What about somthing that sounds like this.
www.fightrice.com/cujo/Screetch.wmv

(Only happends now when tunring left.) I jacked up the car and did the wheel test and nothing moved. CV boot looks perfect.

One thing I did notice a while ago, when I took off the wheel and the driveshaft nut was VERY loose and the cotterpin is missing, I only tightend the bolt and made my own cotter pin for say (which is still in there) Could the whole CV joint be bad due to the loose driveshat nut?
CujoJpN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/04/2006, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?CujoJpN : who are you?
No one knows my issue?
Old 05/04/2006, 05:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Drastic Racing

Vehicle: 2003 Evo VIII
00Clipse : who are you?00Clipse : who are you?
sounds like the shock or the seal around the hub.
00Clipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/04/2006, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Clipse
If it was the seal around the hub, wouldnt their be wheel movement when its on the stands?
Old 05/04/2006, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoJpN
What about somthing that sounds like this.
www.fightrice.com/cujo/Screetch.wmv

(Only happends now when tunring left.) I jacked up the car and did the wheel test and nothing moved. CV boot looks perfect.

One thing I did notice a while ago, when I took off the wheel and the driveshaft nut was VERY loose and the cotterpin is missing, I only tightend the bolt and made my own cotter pin for say (which is still in there) Could the whole CV joint be bad due to the loose driveshat nut?
that sound clip sounds like the heat sheild scraping the rotor.
Old 05/04/2006, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Clipse
wtf are you talking about
1. eclipse is front strut rear shock.
2. the seal ONLY keeps out water and dirt and keeps grease in.

a bad seal will just make a wheel bearing wear out sooner than one with a good seal, because water and dirt are getting inside and corroding and doing damage to the bearing and the bearing races.
Old 05/04/2006, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
that sound clip sounds like the heat sheild scraping the rotor.
Yea but nothing is even near the rotor!
Here are some pics (yea i know its a mess under the car, Minnesota winters, cant do much.)

Wait.. You mean the black peice of metal? Oh Im going to work on that right now.
Old 05/04/2006, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
am cat

the sound in the video from fight rice, unless that was your car, is a heat sheild scraping a rotor i beleive.
Old 05/04/2006, 10:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
the sound in the video from fight rice, unless that was your car, is a heat sheild scraping a rotor i beleive.
Yea that was my car, I tried pushing the heatsheild as far back as possible, Heres whats happening, when I have the throlttle open and start turning left (15-20+ degrees) it will start to make that sound. When I hold the hold the brake and begin a left turn (15-20+ degrees) there is no sound. When I hold brake and keep throttle open and start the left turn. (15-20+ degrees) There again is no sound. Also when no throttle is open at all, there is no sound.
Old 05/04/2006, 10:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
am cat

i dont know what to say without putting my hands on it, sorry
Old 05/05/2006, 12:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

pushed it further in to make sure its not rubbing against anything, its more quiet. So looks like thats the problem, now just have to work on it when the key to my lugs gets here.
Old 05/05/2006, 04:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Does anyone know the driveshaft nut size?
Old 05/05/2006, 10:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoJpN
Does anyone know the driveshaft nut size?
anyone?
Old 04/23/2013, 01:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Goofy : who are you?
Arrow try this

Sounds like the dust cover is touching the brake rotor. Jack up the car and spin the wheel and look to see if the dust cover is touching the brake rotor. If so just bend it away from it. PC
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/23/2013, 01:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Goofy : who are you?
also

Sorry, Forgot,,, if it is the wheel hub the wheel will wobble. You can check that when you jack up the car by grabbing the top and bottom of wheel and try moving it back and forward... jiggling it... Check the hub nut also
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.