lost my keys - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/04/2006, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipse gt
ridemlow03 sucksridemlow03 sucks
chip in ignition key

I got a question, last night i was at a friends house and we were all having fun and partying and some how i lost my keys and i have no back up. Lady at AAA said that they could make a key for the ignition but it wont start the car because in the manufacturer key there is a chip inside the plastic part. I have a 2003 eclipse gt. I was wondering if anybody knows about this little chip in the key itself, not the keyless entry remote. Is there a chip or not?? the lady said that without a chip in the key that i wont be able to start it.

Last edited by ridemlow03; 07/04/2006 at 06:57 PM.
ridemlow03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/04/2006, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mitsu Tech

Vehicle: Diamante
Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?
yep. you wont be able to start the car without getting the key programmed.
its part of the anti-theft immobilizer system, and pretty much every car on the market uses something similar.
Manybrews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/04/2006, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: '02 GT
20/20Hindsight : who are you?20/20Hindsight : who are you?20/20Hindsight : who are you?
Here is a temporary option. This should let you start the car one or two times without having a transponder equipped key. Enough to drive it to the dealership.

IMMOBILIZER OVERRIDE
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Immobilizer Override feature is not available on 2000 model year Montero Sport ES or LS vehicles unless the vehicle is equipped with
the factory installed keyless entry/security system. Dealer installed systems will not work.

You will need to get the 4 digit Brake Override Code from the customer or the dealer. If the Brake Override code is not available then you will need to get the
Immobilizer-ECU 8-digit serial number. The serial number is found in various locations depending on the model.
> Eclipse & Galant - Serial number tag is found in the glove box.
> Diamante - Serial number tag is on the driver's side trunk lid hinge bar
> Montero Sport - Serial number tag is on the front of the driver's side B pillar.

The 4-digit Brake Override Code can be retrieved from the Mitsubishi dealer computer screen called IMS Warrant Screen - Immobilizer Password Request screen
once you have found the 8-digit Immobilizer-ECU serial number on the car.
1. Cut the correct mechanical cuts onto a temporary regular key blank.
2. Obtain the 4-digit brake code.
3. With the temporary key, turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The Security light will flash for 30 seconds and then stop.
4. Enter the first digit of the 4-digit brake code by pressing and releasing the brake pedal that number of times with 30 seconds. Pressing the brake pedal activates
the brake light switch which records the code. Example: If the first digit is a 4, press and release the brake pedal 4 times with 5 second intervals. If the
digit is a zero, just wait 30 seconds.
5. Check to make sure the Security light blinks 3 times. The blinking light verifies the first digit is stored in the Immobilizer-ECU.
6. Enter the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th digits of the Immobilizer brake code by repeating the above steps for each digit. Be sure after each digit is entered that you confirm
it is stored by observing the blinking Security light.
7. After completing the entry of the 4th digit into the ECU, the Security light will turn On. If the Security light just blinks then you centered an incorrect code.
8. while the Security light in On, turn the ignition switch to the ACC or OFF position and then back to the On position within seven seconds.
9. The vehicle can now be started 2 times with the non-transponder key. To start it more times, the brake code procedure must be repeated.

I've never tried this procedure. Let me know if it works.
Old 07/05/2006, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mitsu Tech

Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?
just for everyones information, that emergency override that he wrote about was deleted in 04.
Old 07/05/2006, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: '06 Peterbilt 386
JW_Cleve : who are you?JW_Cleve : who are you?
I gotta question about the immobilizer here... what exactly happens if you try to start the car with a key that isn't programmed? does it just crank or do you simpley get nothing at all? I ask cuz I have had an intermitant starting problem for about the past year and a half that is starting to just recently become more frequent. I'll put my key in, push my clutch in, and go to crank and get nothing at all. My dash lights and all that come on, but no cranking. It'll do that a couple times in a row, and then it'll fire over like normal. Mine is a 03 GTS 5-spd with just under 35K on it....
JW_Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/05/2006, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

20/20Hindsight : who are you?20/20Hindsight : who are you?20/20Hindsight : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manybrews
just for everyones information, that emergency override that he wrote about was deleted in 04.
Deleted from the Eclipse line or deleted from Mitsu's service computer menu's?
Old 07/05/2006, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW_Cleve
I gotta question about the immobilizer here... what exactly happens if you try to start the car with a key that isn't programmed? does it just crank or do you simpley get nothing at all? I ask cuz I have had an intermitant starting problem for about the past year and a half that is starting to just recently become more frequent. I'll put my key in, push my clutch in, and go to crank and get nothing at all. My dash lights and all that come on, but no cranking. It'll do that a couple times in a row, and then it'll fire over like normal. Mine is a 03 GTS 5-spd with just under 35K on it....
Without going too far off topic here... You can start the car without an immobilizer equipped key, but it will shut off a few seconds later. As for your car not starting, it sounds like your battery is dying or you terminals are dirty. My factory battery died at around 37K. Take it to an auto parts store and have them test your battery.
Old 07/05/2006, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: '06 Peterbilt 386
JW_Cleve : who are you?JW_Cleve : who are you?
it's not the battery (Optima redtop about a year old btw) or connections. I know that for a fact. starter is good as well. I'm thinking either clutch neutral safety switch or it's in the ignition itself. just curious as to if the immobilizer and the key needing reprogrammed coulda been a possibility, but from the sound of things it's not then...
JW_Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/05/2006, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: BMW 530xi
NoQuarter : who are you?
I recently tried starting my '01 with the valet key by mistake and the engine cranked but not start (not even for a few seconds). I assume the valet key would behave as a normal unprogrammed key but perhaps not.
NoQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/05/2006, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mitsu Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW_Cleve
the first time, it will probably fire up for a second then die.
after that, its only going to crank. And the little green "key" light should blink at you.
There will also be a code stored in the immobilizer system, and i THINK theres one in the PCM.
Old 07/05/2006, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mitsu Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20/20Hindsight
Deleted from the Eclipse line or deleted from Mitsu's service computer menu's?
deleted from all Mitsus, period. Some still had it in 04, but not too many. And none had it left in 05.
meaning there is NO override code anymore. The only way to get them to start is with a programmed key.

So dont loose them.
Old 07/05/2006, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipse gt
ridemlow03 sucksridemlow03 sucks
nope your car does not start up even trying to do the immobilzer thing. i went to the dealer today and got a key cut for my car and than went where my car was. i called them up and gave them the serial number of the immobilizer in the glove box. they gave me a code but it didnt start. all it did was just crank but not run. what happens is that the immobilizer shuts for fuel system off. its a good thing because it makes it harder for people to steal cars now with those on it. but i got it towed to the dealership for free and they programmed it. all together with the key and program it cost 110.
ridemlow03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.