Transmission repair cost question - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/31/2006, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
We are...Penn State

Vehicle: 2006 Infiniti G35
jhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to jhoffner
Transmission repair cost question

My car (2000 GS 5 spd) has been popping out of 4th gear anytime you give it any gas(while in 4th gear of course). I took it to a shop and left it there for a week while I was on vacation hoping they would fix it. Well I called them when I got home and they hadn't done anything because they think it's going to be really expensive. The guy at the shop says he thinks it'll be around 3,000 dollars to fix. Does that seem wayyyy too much to anyone else when he originally told me it was "probaby just a synchroniser(sp?)" going bad when I first dropped it off?
jhoffner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/31/2006, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mitsu Tech

Vehicle: Diamante
Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?Manybrews : who are you?
seems a bit pricey.
removal and overhaul time is about 9-10 hours.
parts costs vary, but certainly shouldnt be 2000 bucks (assuming a 100 buck per hour labor cost).

when I overhaul a manual, its usually about 1500 bucks +/-. It could be a lot cheaper or more expensive, but thats impossible to tell without disassembly.
Manybrews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/31/2006, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Topless = Way to go

Vehicle: Chrome Blue 03 Spyder GTS
nox7788 : who are you?nox7788 : who are you?
$3,000 for fixing a tranny is way too much, I think you can get a good used one for a fraction of that price.
nox7788 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/31/2006, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Patriot Performance

Vehicle: 05 Hemi Ram, 02 T/A WS6
Stratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to Stratus_R/T Send a message via Yahoo to Stratus_R/T
That is way too much. unless he is quoting you a new/rebuilt trans and install.
Powder Coating, Paint & Full Restorations
Performance Parts Installation
Welding, Custom Fabrication
sales@patriotperformanceauto.com
Stratus_R/T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/31/2006, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
We are...Penn State

jhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regularjhoffner should be considered a regular
thanks guys. I decided to get a remanufactured trans for 1350 and then the install will be 400. Thanks for the help guys, you never let me down!
Old 07/31/2006, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Faster piggy,FASTER!

Vehicle: '03 Galant ES V6 Turbo
WanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okay
I picked up a used 02 transmission for $675 with low miles, but I've seen them go for less.
WanderingPinoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/31/2006, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
We are...Penn State

where'd you get that from?
Old 07/31/2006, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Faster piggy,FASTER!

Vehicle: '03 Galant ES V6 Turbo
WanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okayWanderingPinoy seems to be okay
http://www.car-part.com
WanderingPinoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/31/2006, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Topless = Way to go

Vehicle: Chrome Blue 03 Spyder GTS
nox7788 : who are you?nox7788 : who are you?
You can also look in eBay, sometimes you can stuck a good deal for used motors and transmissions but be careful.
nox7788 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/01/2006, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Cantankerous Tank Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse
gst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okaygst4g64 seems to be okay
Send a message via ICQ to gst4g64 Send a message via AIM to gst4g64 Send a message via MSN to gst4g64 Send a message via Yahoo to gst4g64 Send a message via Skype™ to gst4g64
:frown: I think you may have put too much money into what may have been a simple repair. After I replaced my clutch, my car would pop out of forth gear when giving it gas. I could drive around just fine as long as I didn't try to go into forth gear.

I had a bent shifter cable, after some straightening out, I had no problems. Hopefully your issue was bigger than that if you already spent the money.
gst4g64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/01/2006, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
We are...Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtz7485
:frown: I think you may have put too much money into what may have been a simple repair. After I replaced my clutch, my car would pop out of forth gear when giving it gas. I could drive around just fine as long as I didn't try to go into forth gear.

I had a bent shifter cable, after some straightening out, I had no problems. Hopefully your issue was bigger than that if you already spent the money.
hmm, we did take a look at the shifter cable initially but I'll give it another look. I'm picking the car back up from the shop today so I'll take a look. I just ordered a transmission, hopefully they didn't ship it yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.