SES light, EGR valve code P0401 - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10/28/2006, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

kimbo : who are you?
SES light, EGR valve code P0401

The SES light came on, I took it the car to AutoZone, they scanned the OBDII and came up with code P0401, insufficient flow in the EGR system. The guy told me to spray the EGR valve with carb cleaner. I did this, pulled the 2 fuses under the hood which I thought would reset the OBDII. Well, the light went out, but after the reset period, came back on. So I have a couple questions, Did the code reset? If not, how do I reset it? If so, is there another way to resolve the EGR issue (other than replacing?)

Secondly, I have noticed a large "clunk" while slowing to a stop. I'm not sure if it's the engine or transmission, it almost seems like the transmission is catching up to the engine. The issue causes the car to shudder, but not stall. It doesn't happen every time however. Is this in any way related to the EGR issue?

Thanks.
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/29/2006, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01' eclipse gt sds 3
perna00 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to perna00 Send a message via MSN to perna00
The cheapest fix for the egr system is to disable it. Most of the headers they make for our cars do not have a tap for the egr valve so we remove them. It'll let the egr breath freely until it realized it don't make a difference and quits trying to function. There are codes thrown for not having the piping hooked up to the egr. If you have the stock setup, just remove the piping so that the egr can breath air through it without a "block" causing the ses light and get a plug or piece welded to patch up the hole it used to be in the manifold.
perna00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/29/2006, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

kimbo : who are you?
For clarification, should I be spraying carb cleaner where the vacuum line goes in or were the EGR bolts to the intake?
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/29/2006, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01' eclipse gt sds 3
perna00 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to perna00 Send a message via MSN to perna00
You should be cleaning out where the hose attaches to the exhaust manifold, the openings on the egr valve itself, and inside the plenum where there is the built in tubing.
perna00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2007, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
matt803 : who are you?
Send a message via ICQ to matt803 Send a message via AIM to matt803 Send a message via Yahoo to matt803
I have the same problem with my car right now. carb cleaner wont hurt anything if i spray it when its still on the car? Or should i take it off the car first? Because it looks like a pain in the ass to get off? also if i disable it i plug the tub or the egr valve?

I have a 2001 eclipse GT

Thanks
matt803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2007, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 2g stratus 2g eclipse
PharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to PharmEcis
The 401 code is directly related to the valve itself. The valve is actually rather easy to pull off. It's 2 12mm bolts and walla, valve in hand.
PharmEcis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2007, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Car Audio Mod #3

Vehicle: 2003 Mazda Protege5
Circuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by allCircuit seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Circuit
I was throwing that code for a while and even changed out my EGR valve and solenoid and still threw the code. The dealership cleaned out the vacuum hoses and the code went away. Check all vacuum hoses!
Old 01/12/2007, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
matt803 : who are you?
Send a message via ICQ to matt803 Send a message via AIM to matt803 Send a message via Yahoo to matt803
i checked the hoses and they seem to be ok. but how would i clean them just to make sure?
matt803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/12/2007, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Patriot Performance

Vehicle: 05 Hemi Ram, 02 T/A WS6
Stratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regularStratus_R/T should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to Stratus_R/T Send a message via Yahoo to Stratus_R/T
I have a ton of egr valves if you need one.

eric@patriotperformanceauto.com
Powder Coating, Paint & Full Restorations
Performance Parts Installation
Welding, Custom Fabrication
sales@patriotperformanceauto.com
Stratus_R/T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/04/2013, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Offthebooks : who are you?
Sorry

Okkkkay first off sorry for bringing this post back from 07, I have an issue here I need advice on and I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to post new.. So I recently picked up a 01 eclipse gt. the previous owner said the cel lights on bc an o2 sensor needs to be replaced. I did some research and got the ecu read.. I got p0403. Today I took the valve off and cleaned it thoroughly. I am not mechanically inclined but I can handle easy tasks such as. The code didnt go away and after putting the valve back in and starting the car it's been smoking (white smoke). It's not really bad but you can barely see it at idle. When I first started the car I noticed it big time. When the car idles now like I said you can barely see it. I'm am highly concerned.. It's got fluids , the oil needs a change, it's auto w 112k.. I bought the solenoid today and will install it when it gets here. I'm sorry for breaking rules by posting like an idiot but I'm in desperate need of advice. My email is offthebooks187@gmail if anyone can help me please!
Offthebooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/04/2013, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

Vehicle: '03 GTS Spyder 6G75
TurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by all
You did just fine bumping an old thread. That's preferred actually.

Your white smoke is likely what you cleaned it with burning off--no biggie. It could also be caused by loosening up all that carbon and shit in there.

If you didn't reset your ecu by either erasing the codes with a code reader or by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then the light won't go away.
TurtleTamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/04/2013, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Okay thank you very much..a few other questions, what oil should I use? The previous owner said they always used mobile1 full synthetic 5w30. Also , Ive briefly looked at other posts on where exactly the solenoid is but I've got no clue. Also, I noticed my car is eating gas like crazy.. when I traded vehicles the previous owner said her mechanic said it needed an o2 sensor. I'm a straight shooter , if I can't do something Ill ask for help. Aaaand one last question, brace yourself. I traded my civic (junk) for this 01 eclipse last week. The dumb meathead chick signed the title where I was supposed to -_- and now I can't even get in touch with her. I live in Massachusetts .. Ugh what a rough week. If anyone could please email me that'd be easiest for me to reply quickest and retrieve your helpful knowledge.
Old 04/04/2013, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

Vehicle: '03 GTS Spyder 6G75
TurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by all
I would email but that defeats the purpose of the boards. Let others see your problem and solution much like how you found this thread.

To find the solenoid follow the vacuum diagram located on the underside of the hood. Also check out Jaloosk's "misfiring like a drunk redneck" thread here on this page and there's a GT diagram inside. Some other searching will lead you to it as well. That orange "search" button at the top of the page will often help you much more quickly and thoroughly than a fellow member (see first paragraph).

Gas mileage depends on a lot of things. Good rule of thumb is any new used car you buy, you get it current on maintenace. If I were you I'd stick with the mobil 1 as it's my personal preference. Go with yours, or make mobil 1 yours lol. You are very close to your interval to change the timing belt and water pump. Hopefully it's been done before and you aren't on borrowed time yet. This site is an excellent source of experience for that BTW as well as a How To with pictures. Change your plugs, wires, cap and rotor and get a tranny flush and filter change. Get an alignment and check your brakes. You probably need new struts as well. If your EGR system is indeed malfunctioning that could very well be your gas issue. Look around for the different stuff on EGR here. Plan on a half day's research on just that issue for you to really familiarize yourself with it. If you didn't get an O2 sensor code I wouldn't assume you need a new one. Also clean your throttle body and intake as buildup and gunk can negatively affect performance.

You'll probably be fine with your title. Around here you can sign where she's supposed to and probably get by at the DMV playing dumb. They shred that one and issue a new one with your name on it anyway lol.
TurtleTamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/05/2013, 01:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Oh damn ..well considering , I will use the same oil What's the easiest way to check the listed parts if they need to be replaced? And as far the title , I pray that they will do that because the previous owner isn't getting back to me and they live hours away. I've learned alot from this "deal".. The rear rims bent a bit and makes a dud dud dud sound when taking off up to 50. I'm not a dummy and riding around like that. The cars been parked mainly since I've traded bc I want to fix it before hand but a guy told me I can simply bang the rim back . This sounded retarded to me .. I'm going to buy new tires and a new rim if I can find it soon on Craigslist. I know the car sounds like its got problems but compared to what I traded for it .. I won. My previous vehicle had no ps,pw. Power seats , needed new bumpers and hood. It was garbage. I know I'm getting way off track from the egr sorry. Once I get the egr solenoid and replace it ill be sure to let you know if that's it after yanking the battery a few times. Thanks again..
Old 04/10/2013, 07:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Put the solenoid in and scanned it and it was gone but now I'm getting bank 1 sensor 2 code p0141. I've searched and searched and found 1 picture of where it's located.. Still not sure but ill find it when I actually look under her skirt. He he he ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.