FOGGED UP HEADLIGHTS.....ANY EASY FIX? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/30/2007, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GT
dakuul1 : who are you?
FOGGED UP HEADLIGHTS.....ANY EASY FIX?

New SONAR Projector headlights fogging up at the front end of the headlight.

Has anyone found a way to resolve this fu*ked up problem?

My original headlights were ruined from this same problem, and thats why I replaced them.

I already siliconed the edges and put foam in the vent holes.

I'm thinking about making a custom vent hole located on the bottom front corner...it seems that the headlight cannot heat that far up into the headlight.....also it doesn't help that it is about 25 degrees outside, but I do not see any other vehicles having this problem....what's up?

Maybe I should just silicone every vent, hole, crack, etc. so there is no air exchange.....could that be a problem in the making?
dakuul1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/30/2007, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
I hate stance

Vehicle: V-ROD, R6, GST
XwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to XwP1ayawX
I sealed the shit out of my headlights. First I opened them, fixed the crap cut-off line and then sealed them up with that black crap they sell for rv's and shit. Easy fix. I also got those stupid rubber caps on the back of the headlight clamped on with t-bolt clamps. Idk if your headlights are like my halo's, but that's what I did.
XwP1ayawX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/30/2007, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lubisz To Suko!

Vehicle: 2012 Subaru Impreza STI
cinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by manycinek10 is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to cinek10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XwP1ayawX View Post
I sealed the shit out of my headlights. First I opened them, fixed the crap cut-off line and then sealed them up with that black crap they sell for rv's and shit. Easy fix. I also got those stupid rubber caps on the back of the headlight clamped on with t-bolt clamps. Idk if your headlights are like my halo's, but that's what I did.
as detailed as those instructions are, this might help him a little more
HOW TO: Clean the Inside of Headlights
cinek10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/30/2007, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
I hate stance

XwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by all
Old 01/30/2007, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
YOU SEALED THEM AIR TIGHT? NO PROBLEMS LATER ON?
Old 01/30/2007, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
I hate stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuul1 View Post
YOU SEALED THEM AIR TIGHT? NO PROBLEMS LATER ON?
Nope. I understand venting them to let moisture out. But if they are airtight, how can moisture get in in the first place?
Old 01/30/2007, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinek10 View Post
as detailed as those instructions are, this might help him a little more
HOW TO: Clean the Inside of Headlights
YEAH, I SAW THIS ARTICLE WHEN I TRIED TO CLEAN MY ORIGINAL LIGHTS, SEVERAL MONTHS BACK.....DIDN'T WORK TOO WELL BECAUSE THE INSIDE OF THE PLASTIC HAD WATER STAINS....SEEMED TO BE ETCHED.

I TRIED HARD TO CLEAN IT.....BUT THE HAZE KEPT COMING BACK.

I DON'T WANT TO REPEAT WITH THE NEW LIGHTS.....I NEED TO STOP THE CONDENSATION.

THNX NE WAY.
Old 01/30/2007, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Never say never!

LUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by all
TURN CAPS OFF! Thankyou.
Old 01/30/2007, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Nope. I understand venting them to let moisture out. But if they are airtight, how can moisture get in in the first place?
SOUNDS LIKE ITS TIME TO GET OUT THE CAULK GUN, ONCE AGAIN.......

HEY I NOTICED YOU ARE IN CRANSTON.....I'M IN WEST GREENWICH.....NOT TOO FAR AWAY.

THANX 4 THE INPUT.
Old 01/31/2007, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
I hate stance

Quote:
SOUNDS LIKE ITS TIME TO GET OUT THE CAULK GUN, ONCE AGAIN.......

HEY I NOTICED YOU ARE IN CRANSTON.....I'M IN WEST GREENWICH.....NOT TOO FAR AWAY.

THANX 4 THE INPUT.
Oh shit, no doubt. How old are you, I'd imagine you went to ewg
Old 01/31/2007, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNAR View Post
TURN CAPS OFF! Thankyou.
What the hell is wrong with caps.......is it harder for you to read?

WTF.
Old 01/31/2007, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
I hate stance

Quote:
What the hell is wrong with caps.......is it harder for you to read?

WTF.
Nope, it's courtesy. Club3g is full of grammatical nit-pickers, including myself
Old 01/31/2007, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh shit, no doubt. How old are you, I'd imagine you went to ewg
No schooling from this town......and I'm sure I'm alot older than you may have thought.....

I graduated from high school about 20 years ago, in CT.
Old 01/31/2007, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Never say never!

LUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Nope, it's courtesy. Club3g is full of grammatical nit-pickers, including myself
Yeah its nothing against you. Its just a heads up. Trust me Im nicer than alot of other members on here.
Old 01/31/2007, 12:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah its nothing against you. Its just a heads up. Trust me Im nicer than alot of other members on here.
Thats cool.
Old 01/31/2007, 01:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Any ideas on fixing fogged headlights?
Old 01/31/2007, 01:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Never say never!

Quote:
Any ideas on fixing fogged headlights?
Uh, buy new ones. Ive never had luck with resealing headlights. Once they fog, their fucked. But thats just my opinion.
Old 01/31/2007, 04:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
3.0 GT = :)

Vehicle: 02 Eclipse GT
Audax seems to be okayAudax seems to be okayAudax seems to be okayAudax seems to be okayAudax seems to be okayAudax seems to be okayAudax seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to Audax
How long have you had the headlights installed? I bought those same exact headlights and had some fogging issues for the first couple weeks after I installed them.

I live in Southern California, when I installed them it was around 75 degrees. I work until 2am usually, and every night when I came home from work the whole tip would be fogged over. I was going to tear them apart and re-seal everything but someone suggested that I wait a couple weeks and see if it went away on its own. Sure enough, about 2 weeks later the fogging disappeared and it hasn't been back since.

I'd wait a couple of weeks before doing anything.

You can kind of see the fogging in the corner here:

Then by this pic everything had completely gone away:

Last edited by Audax; 01/31/2007 at 04:21 AM.
Audax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/31/2007, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audax View Post
How long have you had the headlights installed? I bought those same exact headlights and had some fogging issues for the first couple weeks after I installed them.

I live in Southern California, when I installed them it was around 75 degrees. I work until 2am usually, and every night when I came home from work the whole tip would be fogged over. I was going to tear them apart and re-seal everything but someone suggested that I wait a couple weeks and see if it went away on its own. Sure enough, about 2 weeks later the fogging disappeared and it hasn't been back since.

Sounds good.....it's been about 2 weeks....I'll wait and see.

Thanx
Old 01/31/2007, 01:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audax View Post

Hey, did you just plug them into your existing headlight plugs? Just curious, because my low beams seem to be more narrow and not as bright as I thought, instead of a nice broad bright beam. Do yours do the same?

I'm pretty sure that they are adjusted right. Just as a reference, when I pull up behind someone, the top cutoff is about midway on their car.
Old 01/31/2007, 02:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt

Vehicle: 2001 Spyder GT (silver)
MarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by manyMarkSpyder is well-liked by many
Quote:
Hey, did you just plug them into your existing headlight plugs? Just curious, because my low beams seem to be more narrow and not as bright as I thought, instead of a nice broad bright beam. Do yours do the same?
I'm pretty sure that they are adjusted right. Just as a reference, when I pull up behind someone, the top cutoff is about midway on their car.
I have mine adjusted @ the same height. Are you new bulbs a different temp than your original ones? That MAY explain the difference in brightness. I think most people have been installing HID kits in these projector housings (I did). My brights seem to be MUCH dimmer than the original bulbs and they are plugged straight into the stock wiring harness. My HIDs on the other hand are brighter than the "brights" LOL!. However, they seem to be focused enough that they don't bother other drivers... At least, I haven't been "flashed" yet, I've driven behind/past several troopers, etc and I've had them since Xmas. You may just need better bulbs. I'm pretty sure the ones that came with my housings were el cheapos. The brights are weak and VERY yellow in color.

BTW, When I received/installed my proj housings the passenger side projector was pointed WAY DOWN just like in Audax's lower pic. I had to turn the adjustment screw SEVERAL times in order for it to raise up higher. Took so many turns that I ended up using a cordless drill/driver.
Completed Perf Mods: Vortech V-5, 6G74 Mani/TB, Ripp Headers, Invidia CB w/ HP II Res, Fidanza F/W, Spec S3, Quaife LSD, ZT2/WB/EGT/Boost, Flashable ECU, A1000-6 FPR, VR4 Rails, Venom 310cc Injectors, Walbro GSS342
Future: Pistons, SDS Pullies

Last edited by MarkSpyder; 01/31/2007 at 02:39 PM.
MarkSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/31/2007, 11:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC[Spyder]GT View Post
I have mine adjusted @ the same height. Are you new bulbs a different temp than your original ones? That MAY explain the difference in brightness. I think most people have been installing HID kits in these projector housings (I did). My brights seem to be MUCH dimmer than the original bulbs and they are plugged straight into the stock wiring harness. My HIDs on the other hand are brighter than the "brights" LOL!. However, they seem to be focused enough that they don't bother other drivers... At least, I haven't been "flashed" yet, I've driven behind/past several troopers, etc and I've had them since Xmas. You may just need better bulbs. I'm pretty sure the ones that came with my housings were el cheapos. The brights are weak and VERY yellow in color.

BTW, When I received/installed my proj housings the passenger side projector was pointed WAY DOWN just like in Audax's lower pic. I had to turn the adjustment screw SEVERAL times in order for it to raise up higher. Took so many turns that I ended up using a cordless drill/driver.
I replaced the low beams with a Pair of Super High Intensity Discharge HID Xenon Bulbs Hyper White, 12V, 5000K, 55W Output, Gas filled. I would assume that they are hotter.....could be causing the fogging? They are brighter than the supplied high beam bulbs.....which are yellowish just like yours. I think I will change those out soon, because there is a big difference.

The low beam projectors are adjusted now, but the beams are sort of like a flashlight.....where you can make out the narrow beam edges. I thought the light would be more spread out. Maybe it's this particular headlight. Nothing major anyway.....they are still better than the original lights.....just wish the fogging would go away.
Old 05/21/2009, 08:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
work in progress

Vehicle: Eclipse 2002
iride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFO
Ive had my Sonars for a year now and only get the fogging issue after it rains and when its SUPER humid outside. I do live in Florida and right now its been raining for 2 weeks straight. Oddly enough, its only my passenger lamp that gets fogged in the corner.

I rarely got the issue when it was cooler outside around the winter time. But now that its hot, It just keeps happening. The above guy is right, it will disappear after awhile. it has to do with the air temp outside the lens.

As for a quick fix, blast the inside with a air compressor.
iride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/22/2009, 12:15 AM   #24 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse RS
estraw : who are you?estraw : who are you?estraw : who are you?
good job iride, im sure he's still having this problem 2 years later
estraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/22/2009, 10:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
work in progress

Vehicle: Eclipse 2002
iride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFOiride Really needs to MTFO
im always late to the game. haha

Besides, its good to kick a old thread like this up every now and then. Someone will always have this problem and its best to keep the info up so they dont start ANOTHER thread. Cause we all know how little noobs use the SEARCH function.
iride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/21/2009, 11:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gs
dred12 : who are you?
thank you iride.... cause Im definitely hitting this problem with my sonars... excepts it looks like someone hit the inside of my lense with water!
dred12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/08/2010, 02:19 AM   #27 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Agent27 : who are you?
I dig the look of this ride...I wonder what brand and size wheels these are?????
Agent27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/09/2011, 12:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: Evolution
00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO00eclipseGS18 Really needs to MTFO
Bumpin, cause im having the same problem with my projectors., the same exact as irides, just the passenger side haha. i've only had them for a couple days but its winter and they did it already. I guess i'll just wait a lil bit and see what happens. yay search buttons.
00eclipseGS18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/09/2011, 05:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 GT
Zero1GT : who are you?
I usually just take a really small drill bit and put a tiny hole in the lowest corner of the lights
Zero1GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.