signs your clutch is going out - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/05/2007, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EclipseGT205

signs your clutch is going out

Can anyone give me some good signs that a clutch is going bad?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/05/2007, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
if when you're rolling at about 5-10mph and you put it into 4th or 5th gear and and it doesn't stall...heres your sign.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/05/2007, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mav
:horseride:

Vehicle: '08 G8 GT
Mav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club existsMav is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to Mav
somehow I dont believe this is GT(S) specific.
Old 02/05/2007, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
EclipseGT205

if it is flat.. i can take off in 4th gear... is it supposed to stall?
Old 02/05/2007, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
EclipseGT205

it might not be but i couldnt find anywhere better to put this question
Old 02/05/2007, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGT205 View Post
if it is flat.. i can take off in 4th gear... is it supposed to stall?
try 5th gear, that should stall it. if not then i say new clutch time.

next time please put this in the correct section, this is a general problem.
Old 02/05/2007, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
EclipseGT205

alright, thats fine.
So 5-10mph and put it in 5th and see if it stalls? if stalls then a new clutch is needed?
Old 02/05/2007, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
am cat

probably you do. if you try to give it gas from a standstill or rolling going from nuetral to 5th, the engine should lug a little and stall. if it revs some and keeps going thats the clutch slipping.
Old 02/05/2007, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
EclipseGT205

well i thought just about in any gear, if you slip it enough and fifth gear requiring a lot of slipping to get going, you could take off in any gear. On flat ground that is.
Old 02/05/2007, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGT205 View Post
well i thought just about in any gear, if you slip it enough and fifth gear requiring a lot of slipping to get going, you could take off in any gear. On flat ground that is.
the point is to NOT feather the clutch alot, in 5th a such a low speed the engine should be stalled by the transmission.
Old 02/06/2007, 02:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Kain : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Kain Send a message via Yahoo to Kain
seeing as how my eclipse is in the shop gettin the clutch replaced cuz the previous owner drove like an asshat...while ur goin down the road in just about any gear and u push the accelerator and the revs go up but ur car doesn't accelerate, then u know, that ur clutch is jacked
Old 02/06/2007, 04:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Boosted FTW

Vehicle: 05 EVO MR
BEISSEN : who are you?BEISSEN : who are you?BEISSEN : who are you?BEISSEN : who are you?BEISSEN : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to BEISSEN
The other way is is when you give it gas in 2nd-3rd and it over revs on its own then its slipping and its nearing the end.

2003 Eclipse GTS "SOLD"
2005 EVO MR
Old-
292 AWHP 273 AWTQ
New-
307.2 WHP 270.6 WTQ
BEISSEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/07/2007, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
back to the 3G...

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
mozart4898 : who are you?mozart4898 : who are you?mozart4898 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
seeing as how my eclipse is in the shop gettin the clutch replaced cuz the previous owner drove like an asshat...while ur goin down the road in just about any gear and u push the accelerator and the revs go up but ur car doesn't accelerate, then u know, that ur clutch is jacked
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEISSEN View Post
The other way is is when you give it gas in 2nd-3rd and it over revs on its own then its slipping and its nearing the end.

To me when my clutch was about 99% shot, it felt like something was "stretching" when I went to accelerate. Engine would rev when I pressed on the gas, car would barely accelerate, then as the RPMs started to drop a bit it would get moving a bit more.
mozart4898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/07/2007, 01:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Aple juic is my beer

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8L, 07 Jeep GC
Drunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to Drunkoffjuic
i thought my clutch was bad, but i did the 5th gear test and it died right away, it was crazy. I had no idea it would do that. cool
Old 02/07/2007, 01:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
am cat

yes well 5th gear should always kill the car, make sure and try it in 4th also, the engine rpms shouldnt be able to raise while the car isnt accelerating.
Old 02/07/2007, 01:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Never say never!

LUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
if when you're rolling at about 5-10mph and you put it into 4th or 5th gear and and it doesn't stall...heres your sign.
Well then I do believe its time for me to replace mine as well. It sometimes doesnt want to go in reverse. And I did that test and rolling at 10mph I put it in 5th and it didnt stall.
Old 02/07/2007, 01:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
steelz carz

Vehicle: guess.
GTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regularGTclipse01 should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to GTclipse01
Quote:
yeah, i bought my '01 with under 40k on it and had to replace the clutch within the first 500 miles
GTclipse01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/07/2007, 08:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Hello :)

Vehicle: 08 Evo X /00 GS track car
Clipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Clipse3GS
Go in really low speeds 20-25 put it in 4th or fifth. If the rpms go up and the speed is not increasign then your clutch is slipping. I know my clutch is a littl ebit worn out since girl was drivign it but it doesnt slip or anything > 60K
Old 02/07/2007, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNAR View Post
Well then I do believe its time for me to replace mine as well. It sometimes doesnt want to go in reverse. And I did that test and rolling at 10mph I put it in 5th and it didnt stall.
if you give it gas in 5th like that, does the engine rev but car not go anywhere?
Old 02/07/2007, 11:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
I hate stance

Vehicle: V-ROD, R6, GST
XwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to XwP1ayawX
Pull your e-brake. Throw the car in second and do a normal get go launch. If the car revs up and the tires don't spin the clutch is gone.
XwP1ayawX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/07/2007, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
I hate stance

Vehicle: V-ROD, R6, GST
XwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to XwP1ayawX
You can smell it
XwP1ayawX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/07/2007, 03:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Never say never!

LUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by allLUNAR seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by XwP1ayawX View Post
Pull your e-brake. Throw the car in second and do a normal get go launch. If the car revs up and the tires don't spin the clutch is gone.
That in itself could blow your clutch. That can be good for it?
Old 02/07/2007, 03:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Never say never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
if you give it gas in 5th like that, does the engine rev but car not go anywhere?
No. It just steadily speeds up. Really slow but it does not stall.
Old 02/07/2007, 03:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNAR View Post
No. It just steadily speeds up. Really slow but it does not stall.
well otherwise does it feel like the clutch is slipping? i mean does the engine rpm feel porportional to the speed at which you're accelerating?
Old 02/09/2007, 02:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Kain : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Kain Send a message via Yahoo to Kain
yeah i could tell mine was gone cuz i could put it in first when i was on level ground and stopped, and when i let out on the clutch pedal i sat there, didn't die, didn't go anywhere....nothin....don't let urs get this bad cuz it will screw some stuff up
Old 02/12/2007, 11:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse GT
Dman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends hereDman88 has a few friends here
you will know if ur clutch is bad.. there is no reason to replace it if its not slipping during normal driving conditions
Dman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/12/2007, 11:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Mmineros

Quote:

whats the cost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.