Neutral Light Flashing!!! HELP!!! - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08/14/2007, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: '00 GT sportronic
NYSELatino needs to be reminded to breathe.
Neutral Light Flashing!!! HELP!!!

After having been parked at a restaurant for about an hour, I get in my car, put it in drive and it feels like the e-brake is engaged (it wasn't). I look at the gauge cluster and my check engine light is on along with my neutral light flashing while it is in drive. Seems the car was stuck in third for some reason and I was able to drive home like this.

Checked tranny fluid, all is fine. Car also goes into reverse just fine and I had never had this happen up until this point. I waited a few minutes while I checked things out, fired it up again and now I seem to have all gears again but I still have check engine light. Any ideas?? Tried search but it doesn't seem to be very good.

Mileage is 108k and in stock condition other than a High Flow air filter.
NYSELatino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08/14/2007, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Mitsu Eclipse GTS
Lithorian : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Lithorian
ever have yer fluid changed? go to autozones or sumthing and get yer codes pulled, the haynes manual also has a how to n how to pull trouble codes for your trans.
Lithorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/15/2007, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gypsy Lady

Vehicle: 07 tC & 89 Supra Turbo
froubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to froubaby Send a message via MSN to froubaby Send a message via Yahoo to froubaby
That happened to me when I had broken a bracket in my tranny. Are you throwing any codes?
froubaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/15/2007, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Haven't had a chance to check codes, from what I've read on some posts here is that there are certain codes that are very general and some are specific. I need to do some research as to how I can get the specific codes.
Old 08/15/2007, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gypsy Lady

froubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by manyfroubaby is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to froubaby Send a message via MSN to froubaby Send a message via Yahoo to froubaby
Go to Autozone. They'll hook up the code reader and tell you what codes you're throwing. Then search the forums for whatever codes as there is a thread that lists them all and their meanings. Is your SES light on as well?
Old 08/15/2007, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

K, ran down to autozone and got a code P1751. They list a bunch of causes on a printout they gave me. One is 'A/T control relay' malfunction, another is a 'Shift Solenoid' functional failure.

Fluids are fine and the car has been running fine since. I think one of the two things above may be ready to kick. Is there anyway to get these things tested??
Old 08/15/2007, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Electro-Shock Monkey

Vehicle: 2003 GT
Hardline : who are you?Hardline : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Hardline
My old 1st gen did that when the turbine speed sensor failed.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/15/2007, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I checked the thread with the million codes listed and it doesn't get into the 1700s, so this code isn't listed on there.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Electro-Shock Monkey

P1751 A/T control relay
malfunction
A/T DTC No. 54 (A/T control relay system:
Short circuit to ground /open circuit)
P.23A-233

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/GR00003500-23A.pdf

Go to Page 233
Old 08/15/2007, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gypsy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSELatino View Post
One is 'A/T control relay' malfunction, another is a 'Shift Solenoid' functional failure.
Good luck with this one. I believe that's the same code I threw when Mitsu informed me it was a broken bracket on the tranny. That cost me about $400 to get fixed.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gypsy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSELatino View Post
One is 'A/T control relay' malfunction, another is a 'Shift Solenoid' functional failure.
Good luck with this one. I believe that's the same code I threw when Mitsu informed me it was a broken bracket on the tranny. That cost me about $400 to get fixed.
Old 08/15/2007, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froubaby View Post
Any idea what the bracket was for?? I have a small shake when accelerating between 10-20mph and then it goes away after that speed. There is another thread by someone with the same issue except his is a stick shift.

If the bracket is structural, I don't really see how that would cause an electrical malfunction unless its shakin so bad its rippin everything apart but that isn't the case here.

Another thing I think is strange is that the tranny only acted funny after having sat for an hour. During the drive it was fine but got stuck in 3rd after an hour of sitting in a parking lot. Now its driving fine, only the SES light is on now, I don't know if I need to reset the ecu to clear that.
Old 08/15/2007, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Electro-Shock Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
P1751 A/T control relay
malfunction
A/T DTC No. 54 (A/T control relay system:
Short circuit to ground /open circuit)
P.23A-233

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/GR00003500-23A.pdf

Go to Page 233
look 4 posts up
Old 08/15/2007, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
look 4 posts up
Thx Hardline, thank God its and easy part to swap out!! Hopefully, this clears it up. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08/29/2007, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
volleykobe : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to volleykobe
Has anyone found out exactly what this is? I spit out codes p0301, p0755, p0760, and p0765, and had the exact same symptoms. It is with my mechanic now, but I need my car. Is it drivable? What are the troubleshooting tips you all can offer? Someone help me please!
volleykobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/14/2007, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well, I've left mine alone and hasn't done it anymore so I'll wait and see, maybe just a glitch.
Old 12/13/2008, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

dudeman : who are you?
Anyone figure out what this is? I pulled code P0734 and had the same exact problem except mine won't move in any gear.
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/02/2010, 05:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

lostprotocol : who are you?
woww, 2 years later and no one has found a fix for this problem.
lostprotocol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/02/2010, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: '03 6G75T, '98GSX, EVO IX
finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via Yahoo to finesse49ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostprotocol View Post
woww, 2 years later and no one has found a fix for this problem.
What problem? Man please, the OP had code P1751 "A/T control relay malfunction." Replace that relay and that is the fix. The OP apparently didn't bother getting a new relay and if he did he didn't post it. The last 2 posts before yours other than the OP's don't even make sense, they all have tranny codes but the posters are still asking dumb questions. Get the solenoids checked and work from there, how hard is that?

This is what I'm about: The 3G, 1998 GSX, EVO IX GSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin711 View Post
Whens the car going to be finished with the turbo and everything on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
Kevin: It'll be done when I'm done with it... ;)
finesse49ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/17/2010, 04:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
ZO

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
ZoEclipse00 : who are you?
Hey everyone, I have the same problem. After you drive my car for like ten minutes shifting gets rough then gets stuck on 3rd gear, neutral light comes and flashes. I turn off the car, it resets then after some time it does the same thing.

I pulled codes: P750, P755, P760 which are all three shift solenoids..(it's weird all three of those codes came up, maybe a harness or fuse?) Surprisingly I got a p125 (insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop fuel control) I think this has something to do with the radiator being replaced recently...Is it possible the tranny overheated? and a P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

I checked the tranny oil level and I can't get a correct reading, seems to be well over serviced...

any thoughts?? thanks

*2000 Eclipse GT Automatic.

Last edited by ZoEclipse00; 12/17/2010 at 10:10 PM.
ZoEclipse00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/24/2011, 02:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

reygomezjr : who are you?
did you ever find out what this was and what the solution is? I am having the exact same problem right now.

thanks.

Rey
(408) 334-5516
reygomezjr@yahoo.com
reygomezjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/14/2012, 11:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

BHatton : who are you?
Hi all, I am having a similar problem, but no codes. My son has been complaining about this and I am just getting to look at it. I tried driving today and the thing bangs to 3rd gear before I get to the end of the driveway and the 'N' light flashes. I shut the car off and start it back up, the problem clears. I tried it in manual mode... put it in 1st and accelerated toward the end of the driveway and it pops into 3rd gear, same thing. Turn the car off/on and it clears. I would not bother asking if I had any codes... My reader says 'no codes' even when the 'N' light is flashing.
Some backround on the car - it's a 2000 Eclipse GS auto-stick. Car was a wreck recovery that was in need of some work when I got it, but the biggest job was replacing the wiring harness. The engine has 95k and the trans was replaced with a rebuilt. Could be any sensor on the trans, I guess. I have a spare car, but it's an RS without the sport trans... not sure if the speed sensor or shift switch are the same.
Any thoughts, other than 'take it to Aamco'?
My son has been driving the car like this for a while. Trans fluid looks fine and the cars drives fine otherwise. Oh, the trans in the RS is cracked from an accident (which is why we got the GS, the car was the same color and most of the repair work had been done).

TIA
Bob H
BHatton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/19/2013, 05:45 PM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: 00 Eclipse GS
Zerif19 is similar to TE
Speed Sensor

When I bought my car, the second day this happened, I found it to be the input transmission speed sensor, its located right under the battery on the transmission. I bought mine new with lifetime warranty at autozone for 100 bucks. easy fix. also make sure the wires to the sensor are still good, because it happened to me a month later, but this time it was the wires corroded.
Good Luck
Zerif19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/14/2014, 07:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Mitsu Eclipse GT!
LAZOEclipse : who are you?
Just had this happened to me just today!!
I work at a dealership and since it is saturday and slow in the service dept. I had my trust mitsu mechanic work on my whip. I had him replace my stock spark plug wires with some ngk's (one of my wires was soaked in oil from a previous service and was popping up with cyclinder 6 missfire) anyways along with that I had the mechanic replace the stock dist.cap and dist.rodor with OEM dist.cap and rodor(that shit was fried). That was the only service I had done to it today. After the mechanic finished up I took a test drive with him... was driving like a purring kitten..flawless. After work I go home( I only live like a 1.5 miles from my work. Anyways right when I pull on to the main road I tried to get up too 4000 rpms and then my shit jerked while the N blinking and CES light on and just knew it was my tranny. I know it was not interferred with by the mechanic doing the services so I know it is something related to my tranny. Anyways I cant get to a code reader at this time unfortunately. And by the way I have a Reman tranny with a 3 year or 100k warranty and this was only installed about 4 months ago. Has anybody came across this and if so what is the diagnosis so I can least have the tranny people work on my shit yo. Any suggestions or questions feel free to lemme know. Thank you guys
LAZOEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/02/2014, 10:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

jzahor1 : who are you?
I have had this problem pop up on two separate diamantes. the first a 1998 needed the TCU replaced it drives great to this day now, the second a 2002 needed a input shaft speed sensor replaced to correct the problem. check the input and output shaft speed senors. they have to be exact replacement from what came out of it too
jzahor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.