One of a kind 16g Turbo Build. FINSHED! - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Forced Induction & Nitrous > RS/GS
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/20/2013, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Boostahaulic : who are you?Boostahaulic : who are you?Boostahaulic : who are you?
One of a kind 16g Turbo Build. FINSHED!

I have only posted here a handful of times since I've joined Club3G. However, for the last 6 months i have been vigorously mining information from Club3g and various other sites for information on how to turbo my car. And today i finished putting my turbo in.

For the record, im only 21 and just graduated out of college. This is my 2nd car and I have never attempted something like this before, so this was a HUGE learning experience for me. I found all the parts, paid for, and built everything myself, i had a few friends help me for some extra hands, which really helped speed things up.

I pieced together this whole kit over the course of 4 months and a couple friends helped me do all the work over the course of a couple weeks.

Parts list:
Small 16g Turbo (freshly rebuilt, waste gate welded shut)
38mm Turbonetics Evolution external wastegate (8psi spring)
Megan Evo 8 twin scroll turbo manifold
Custom 3" Stainless steel mandrel bent Turbo Back exhaust.
3" Cat, Blitz Spec R Muffler
Air conditioning removed
Wrx STI 565cc Fuel Injectors (sti pinks)
Evo 9 fuel rail, and fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255Lph Fuel Pump
Stock Evo 8 intercooler Piping
Ebay Front Mount intercooler
Evo 8 turbo inlet pipe
40" -4an turbo Feed Line
10an Oil return
Ebay Recirculating Blow off valve (to be replaced)
AEM Wideband
Autometer 25psi Boost guage
Autometer Oil pressure guage
Stock Suck through MAF Sensor
ACT MB1-HDSS Clutch
NGK BKR7 Spark Plugs

All in all, i spent about $3,000 on turbo/replacement parts.

I'm sure i'm forgetting some things.

Before i started putting this turbo on i replaced all of the fluids in the car, replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioners, water pump and i replaced all of the seals/Gaskets (stock head gasket)

Tuning:
I decided i wanted to learn how to tune, so im taking on all the tuning, i will be doing a street tune, ande eventually getting dyno time to get some numbers, and finish tuning,

I decided to use a modified Evo 8 rom, with plans for the Typhra mod in the near future.
Using ECU flash to tune
EvoScan to datalog.

This was the car before i started. Yes it needs lowered...

Engine bay before, I started to relocate some things.

Guages

Small 16gTurbo

I decided to do something different. Most people who run a 16G DSM turbo run into the problem of the downpipe being to close to the power steering pimp. And the Evo 16g turbo requires spacers and studs. Using the Evo 8 twin scroll manifold, and 16g dsm turbo i made an adapter that moved the turbo centered between the block and intercooler. All while keeping the turbo away from the Power steering pump. Also, with this adapter i'm able to use an external wastegate, no boost creep for this guy!

I pieced together this whole exhaust. Its all 3" T-304 Stainless Steel. All Mandrel Bends. 3" Cat. Blitz Spec R Muffler.

All of the parts ready to go on!

Installing fuel injectors!

Installing clutch!

All assembled

Im still working on the tune for this car. And i need to fix how the blowoff is hooked up. I don't like the way i had to do it. I'm almost finished with this build, and i'm VERY happy with the way it has turned out. No leaks, no problems as of now.

I will upload some videos as soon as i get a chance to.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Boostahaulic; 01/21/2013 at 01:30 PM.
Boostahaulic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/21/2013, 05:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
2.4LR16VDOHCAWDTURBO

Vehicle: 01 Eclipse RS-T, 99 S-10
Pale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regular
Looks like it was a very clean, well thought out install. Nice work. Didn't see anything about the electronics being hooked up though. Make sure you keep an eye on your engine vitals, with paramount importance lended to your wideband.

As for tuning, good luck, the learning curve is quite steep, just make sure you start out with a suitable base ROM and work your way up.

All in all it gets two thumbs up
-280whp, 330ftlb Dynojet
-14.371 1/4 Mile, 105.7 MPH
-Highest Stock 4G64 Long Block Peak Torque Record
SOLD

2000 GS-X Pale Horse II
-2.4LR DOHC AWD Turbo
-Under Construction
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 05:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
2.4LR16VDOHCAWDTURBO

Pale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regularPale Horse should be considered a regular
Oh, and one other thing, you might want to go ahead and buy a bigger wastegate spring now so you have it when you're ready .

I was in your shoes over a year ago and said "12 PSI will be more than enough for me." Haha, that lasted about two weeks and I was craving more. The same will happen for you, especially on that small of a turbo.
-280whp, 330ftlb Dynojet
SOLD

2000 GS-X Pale Horse II
-2.4LR DOHC AWD Turbo
-Under Construction
Old 01/21/2013, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Boostahaulic : who are you?Boostahaulic : who are you?Boostahaulic : who are you?
Thank you, i have A LOT of wrench time on this car already, from fabricating/welding up the custom exhaust to installing all of the pieces, and even tuning the engine. It was a very fun project, and im kind of sad its over.... for now haha I already have plans to up the boost once i get the tuning down good.

As for electronics, all of the stock sensors were put back on, wideband has its own bung welded into the exhaust. And i have an Oil Pressure guage for safety. But i have been monitoring everything else with a tactrix cable and EvoScan. Im running an Evo rom on the stock ECU.
Old 01/21/2013, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 Eclipse GS
Menace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by all
Looks great and nice job!!!
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Electrify

Vehicle: 2001 Black Eclipse GT
grfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by all
Awesome work. Not a lot of people here talk turbo and actually make things happen.
grfft3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GS-T
Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?
Yea, very nice. Good luck tuning.
Boost 44203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
This is the way you make shit happen.
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
I hate stance

Vehicle: V-ROD, R6, GST
XwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to XwP1ayawX
Well my friend, it looks like you know your way around a welder
XwP1ayawX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

01GtCRazyKid : who are you?01GtCRazyKid : who are you?01GtCRazyKid : who are you?
very nice build!
01GtCRazyKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kimosabe

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GS-T
Masta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends hereMasta560 has a few friends here
Looks nice and well thought out, congrats. Good luck tuning
Masta560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

And i just added this to my original post. But i am only 21, and this is the first time i have ever attemped something like this. I paid for everything and did ALL of the work myself. This is a BIG achevement for me.

Ill try to have some videos up today!!
Old 01/21/2013, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GTS
Thrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends here
Very very impressive. All of the work looks great and you should be really proud of yourself.
Thrice0805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/21/2013, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
GS-Turbooo

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GS-T
CloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends hereCloudINC00 has a few friends here
Looks good man! Glad you did your research. Whats your final goal for this build? Just mild power and a learning experience?
Old 01/23/2013, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! Still running good!

And i'm not sure how far i want to take this project. For what i've invested so far i'm shooting for 300hp. Seems like a high bar that i can work up to, but still hopefully not break everything, or blow the motor/transmission. And that also gives me a lot of practice with tuning.

Down the road i would love to build a track car. I've had plans of swapping the EVO AWD in, or to swap an Evo head, and build the engine to handle some serious power, but then the transmission worries me. And its still wrong wheel drive. So i think ill just build it to around 300hp, put disk brakes in the back, and a set of coil overs and call it a day with this car. Its not worth the money and all the work i would have to put into it. And i REALLY want to build a roll cage. But this isn't the car for that either.
Old 01/28/2013, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?
I really like it! Keep in mind you could always use the Kia or Hyundai head instead of the Evo. Generally speaking if it has "Evo" stamped to it, it's way more expensive.
Boost 44203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/28/2013, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
I hate stance

XwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by all
300 is easy. Stock evo injectors can flow up to 365ish, and the 16g can def handle it.
Old 01/28/2013, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
I hate stance

I would call it a day. Maybe put in an LSD. I was also considering the AWD swap, but I can just see headaches down the road with it, and it's an old car. I think my next build will be an IS300. I really want to play with a 2jz. You gotta know when to stop throwing money at a bad platform.
Old 01/28/2013, 11:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Protect this house

Vehicle: 2001 GT 3.8 6G75 NM
GTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wide
Re: One of a kind 16g Turbo Build. FINSHED!

Doesnt the wastegate limit exhaust flow where its located. Being at a 90* angle from the exhaust hausing I'd think its restricting flow.

258whp/274wtq N/M 6G75
March 2014 Car of the Month
GTmitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/28/2013, 11:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
My Snail's Bigger =P

Vehicle: 03 GS-T/98 Expedition(EB)
03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all
Very clean build

My Quicksilver 3G:http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...silver-3g.html
Sponsored by: Mishimoto
03Quicksilver3G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/01/2013, 07:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost 44203 View Post
I really like it! Keep in mind you could always use the Kia or Hyundai head instead of the Evo. Generally speaking if it has "Evo" stamped to it, it's way more expensive.
This is true, but im weary about throwing down big power with anything to do with Kia or Hyundai on it. I had a Hyundai Accent, and that thing was a piece of crap. And it doesnt look as good as the evo head

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwP1ayawX View Post
I would call it a day. Maybe put in an LSD. I was also considering the AWD swap, but I can just see headaches down the road with it, and it's an old car. I think my next build will be an IS300. I really want to play with a 2jz. You gotta know when to stop throwing money at a bad platform.
Thats what im thinking, i dont even know about putting LSD in it since that is $1000 this may be my 300hp daily driver, and i may get a 240sx or a new BRZ to build up for a race car. The 2jz is an AWESOME engine. But I always wanted to swap the Rb25 into a 240sx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmitsu View Post
Doesnt the wastegate limit exhaust flow where its located. Being at a 90* angle from the exhaust hausing I'd think its restricting flow.
It may or may not be, i can hit full boost around 2500rpm with this turbo. And it doesnt budge from 7psi (wastegate spring) once it hits full boost. If you look at a bunch of manifolds with an external wastegate it usually comes 90* off of the manifold. Unless its like a full race manifold. So i think if it is restricting flow, its very negligible. Reguardless, its still way better than the internal wastegate.
Old 02/01/2013, 09:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
You realize that the Kia/Hyundai head of reference IS mitsubishi. Back in the late 90's early 2000's Hyundai bought most of their engines from Mitsubishi, the 4g63 being one of them. The internals are different but the head geometry is the same and lets you use Evo aftermarket parts which you'd want to use for the upgrade anyway.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/01/2013, 10:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

Vehicle: stuff
chavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to chavezeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to chavezeclipse
the head itself looks the same, if you are worried about looks buy an evo valve cover on evom and throw it on the hyundai/kia head.
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
battery relocated to trunk
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

chavezeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/01/2013, 10:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
I hate stance

Evo vc doesn't fit Hyundai head
Old 02/01/2013, 04:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
You realize that the Kia/Hyundai head of reference IS mitsubishi. Back in the late 90's early 2000's Hyundai bought most of their engines from Mitsubishi, the 4g63 being one of them. The internals are different but the head geometry is the same and lets you use Evo aftermarket parts which you'd want to use for the upgrade anyway.
I did not know that, thanks for the info.

I still don't know if it would be worth it. I think ill just stop at 300hp and maybe look into a better platform. If i tear the head off for DOHC i'm going to pull the engine and do the bottom end.. I wan't a better platform to work with before i spend that kind of money.

And if anybody has an questions on how i did anything feel free to ask. I have a bunch of pictures of this build. I just didn't want to upload all of them.
Old 06/03/2013, 02:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 sherwood green GS
GSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends here
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say nice job!

I really like your manifold/turbo/wastegate set up. Very unique.

Were you able to keep the A/C?

How's the car coming along now?
GSKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/31/2013, 02:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSKNIGHT View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say nice job!

I really like your manifold/turbo/wastegate set up. Very unique.

Were you able to keep the A/C?

How's the car coming along now?
Thank you!

I got rid of my A/C so I could have a smooth flowing 3" exhaust.

And I'm 12k miles on this build, tuned myself with no problems whatsoever. I was at 15psi for awhile, but I chickened out and I'm running 12psi until I get a better tune (from someone who really knows what they are doing).

The car runs great, and the only problem I had was the eBay blow off valve started leaking air, so I upgraded to an HKS ssqv and never had another problem since. I also got an AEM adjustable FPR, but ended up not "needing" it, but its nice to have. That's the only thing I have changed so far. Hopefully getting a new tune in the next couple of weeks.

Since this build I have full coil over setup, and a couple other little goodies. Ill have to make a new ride thread for that though.
Old 08/20/2013, 09:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

3gturbos can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
Anything over 300whp and your clutch and tranny will go pop. I've done it many times popped springs out of 3 different clutches broke the input shaft in half too once.
3gturbos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/20/2013, 10:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

01GtCRazyKid : who are you?01GtCRazyKid : who are you?01GtCRazyKid : who are you?
very nice build. Though i guess i have been lucky because i have been sitting at ~300/~350 and everything is holding up fine. though im going to be switching back to 91oct for a little bit.

are you still doing your tuning or are you having it done by someone?
Old 08/21/2013, 12:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
2.4LR16VDOHCAWDTURBO

He's being tuned by 2000RS-Turbo now .

We're reppin' PA boosted 3Gs
-280whp, 330ftlb Dynojet
SOLD

2000 GS-X Pale Horse II
-2.4LR DOHC AWD Turbo
-Under Construction
Old 08/21/2013, 06:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Fuck salt.

Vehicle: 2005 Race Camry
JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.JermTheElf is clearly one sexy bitch.
Send a message via AIM to JermTheElf Send a message via Skype™ to JermTheElf
Andrew is still tuning 3G's? If anyone talks to him, tell him Jeremy from Boston says what's up.

You can enjoy your straightaways; I prefer the turns.
JermTheElf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/21/2013, 04:03 PM   #32 (permalink)

ive noticed that there has been a few of you guys in PA that have been going boosted. hell im sure if i still lived with my parents in Latrobe i would still have gone boosted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Forced Induction & Nitrous > RS/GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.