How To: Get Stock '03 and up Rims to look amazing!! - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Show
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/12/2010, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T
BadStratR/t sucksBadStratR/t sucks
Thumbs up How To: Get Stock '03 and up Rims to look amazing!!

Take a look at it for your self.

Thought so. So lets get started.
Here's what you need to buy:
1. Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray.

2. Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover.

Here are some supplies you will need:
1. A car jack
2. 2 Jack stands
3. Plastic ice scraper(or something to scrape the paint off thats not metal!)
4. Gloves
5. Needle nose pliers or flat head screw driver to remove the center cap
6. Bucket full of water
7. 3 or 4 towels
Okay lets start.

Step 1. Jack up the car.
Jack up the car and place jack stands to both sides.

Step 2. Remove both wheels.
Remove both wheels and place near each other.

Step 3. Remove the center caps
Simply take the metal peace from the back of the rim and the center cap should fall out.

Step 4. Spray the paint stripper.
Spray the complete front face of the rim with gloves on. Keeping in mind the center cap is taken out!

Do both rims at the same time to save your self some time.

Leave the paint stripper on for about 7-15 minutes, and it should like this.

You may have to repeat this step again in case of any left unstripped paint.
Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 5. Scrape off the stripped paint.
Using your ice scraper. Scrape the paint off. Be sure to be wearing gloves, a long sleeve shirt and jeans because it will burn your skin!! Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 6. Cleaning off unwanted paint.
Using your bucket of water completely soak the rim. Use one of the towels and dry the rim. Be sure to get every peace of paint off the rim, because it will stick back. Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 7. Towel dry.
Towel dry the complete rim getting every piece of paint. Make sure to clean the lip also making sure there are no pieces of paint are there. Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 8. Shine.
After completely cleaning the rim, get your tire shine and spray the complete rim including the tire. Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 9. Stare at your accomplishment.

Step 10. Finishing up.
After shining the rim and tire place the center cap back in. then place the wheel back on your car and lower the car.
BadStratR/t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/12/2010, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Vehicle: 2001 spyder gs
scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
wow... ok...

those are not stock rims for 99% of the members here, but that is beside the point. there are issues with what you have done:

you now have bare metal wheels.. you will be lucky if they keep that shine for more than week. and will be ruined in a couple months. you need to AT MINIMUM clear them.

next, why would you think that paint stripper is a good thing to use in your driveway?!? that is a harmful chemical tha needs to be taken care of, not just rinsed into the ground water of your community. you would do less damage to your groundwater, by just dumping antifreeze in your back yard.

an now: you don't like your tires do you? NEVER use cheicals, or paint whith tires sitll on, you shorten their life spam, and now your tires will prematurely dryrot.

and you didn't finish the job: nice flat silver centercaps.

so you have ruined your wheels, if you don't seal them ASAP, improperly disposed of caustic chemicals (you didn't read the warnings on the can at all did you?), and shortened the life of your tires; for what? a couple weeks of bling?

the idea was good i don't even like chrome wheels and i have to admit it looks good, aside form the mismatched center caps), but if you don't take the tires off and seal them NOW they will look like the BACK of your wheels do very soon. (you must take the wheels off, or your clearcoat will start to chip off at the rim, and you have to keep doing it.)

to do what you did right:
take the tires off
then (in a place you correctly dispose of the stripper) do what you did.
then clean, clean, clean, and paint with clear coat.
put the tires back on,

and then you would have done it right.

i am not flaming, i explaining that to you (and anyone else that thinks what did is a good idea) that you only half of what you needed to do, to keep the wheels looking like that.

you got questions? we got answers: http://tearstone.com/shop/Factory-Service-Manuals/
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JStew3G View Post
If you want it done right, follow scarr's advice 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob View Post
scarr's right
scarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/12/2010, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr View Post
wow... ok...

those are not stock rims for 99% of the members here, but that is beside the point. there are issues with what you have done:

you now have bare metal wheels.. you will be lucky if they keep that shine for more than week. and will be ruined in a couple months. you need to AT MINIMUM clear them.

next, why would you think that paint stripper is a good thing to use in your driveway?!? that is a harmful chemical tha needs to be taken care of, not just rinsed into the ground water of your community. you would do less damage to your groundwater, by just dumping antifreeze in your back yard.

an now: you don't like your tires do you? NEVER use cheicals, or paint whith tires sitll on, you shorten their life spam, and now your tires will prematurely dryrot.

so you have ruined your wheels, if you don't seal them ASAP, improperly disposed of caustic chemicals (you didn't read the warnings on the can at all did you?), and shortened the life of your tires; for what? a couple weeks of bling?

the idea was good i don't even like chrome wheels and i have to admit it looks good, aside form the mismatched center caps), but if you don't take the tires off and seal them NOW they will look like the BACK of your wheels do very soon. (you must take the wheels off, or your clearcoat will start to chip off at the rim, and you have to keep doing it.)

take the tires off
put the tires back on,

i am not flaming, i explaining that to you (and anyone else that thinks what did is a good idea) that you only half of what you needed to do, to keep the wheels looking like that.
I understand where your coming from. When Mitsubishi made these rims they dipped the entire rim in chrome then painted over it. So the thought of this was remove the paint that was placed. And sadly I didn't read the Warning, except for the it will burn part. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02/12/2010, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

Also thankfully my neighbor hood uses septic tanks we don't use ground water nor city piping.
Old 02/12/2010, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

rms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadStratR/t View Post
Also thankfully my neighbor hood uses septic tanks we don't use ground water nor city piping.
Really?
Old 02/12/2010, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
i don't think you understand how ground water works. everything that washes into your yard works it's way into your grass, trees, animals, and eventually runs back to the main source miles away: what you drink.
what you did was illegal. will you get caught? probably not, but it is still illegal. not disposing of "bad" chemicals properly is against the law because it all comes back to you eventually.

you got questions? we got answers: http://tearstone.com/shop/Factory-Service-Manuals/
Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 02/12/2010, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

ohhh I thought you meant rain water drains, dang didn't think that far ahead.
Old 02/12/2010, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

now you know... it is too late now, just don't do it again. (and seriously get some clear on those things, ASAP. you know you took at least a little chrome off.. and they will yellow.)

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 02/12/2010, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

Quote:
now you know... it is too late now, just don't do it again. (and seriously get some clear on those things, ASAP. you know you took at least a little chrome off.. and they will yellow.)
any recommendations on what kind I should get?
Old 02/12/2010, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Waiting to spool

Vehicle: 01 Gt
Black_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okay
Duplicolor's always a good choice. I've had good luck with krylon as well.

Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhaust gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveodotcom1 View Post
Money can buy you a race car, but money can't buy you the skill to race it.
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/12/2010, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

BEST is professional. you will not have to worry at all about it... but that is expensive compared to duplicolor. they make a special type for wheels (it says). not going to get show quality with any rattle can, but the best (in the line of cheap DIY) looks to be duplicolor. i did my old grand prix wheels with it, and it lasted for a couple years before it flaked and died. (they were stock body color, and the factory paint was peeling, so i sandblasted, and repainted them.) perhaps someone has other experience?

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 02/12/2010, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

Thanks for the help guys. My luck it's snowing.
Old 02/12/2010, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Low and Slow.

Vehicle: Dodge Stratus Coupe
Pearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Pearl01Strat
To clear everything up.

I discovered this modification in late 2008. This WILL NOT work on 3g wheels. If it did, I would have shared it with this site.
How to make your 2.5g Chrome wheels ALL chrome. - 2GStratus
Before

After

My video showing how it done and how it works: It was only wiped with a rag for demo purposes.

Quote:

Wrong.Even if they were stripped bare, its still an Alloy wheel, and wouldnt even shine unless you polished them and buffed them with compound. The 01/02 R/T wheels are polished and they arent clearcoated.
[[/B]
Quite an exaggeration. When done right and rinsed with water, the acidity/harmfulness gets reduced to nothing. Theres hardly any product used.
The process doesnt take long at all, a few minutes really. Its supposed to be rinsed off.

My wheels still look great

Its chrome. The only thing that was done was strip paint on top of chrome.
take the tires off
put the tires back on,

Fun theory, but youre not correct.

My car

Last edited by Pearl01Strat; 02/13/2010 at 08:00 AM.
Pearl01Strat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/12/2010, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl01Strat View Post
To clear everything up.

I discovered this modification in late 2008. This WILL NOT work on 3g wheels. If it did, I would have shared it with this site.
How to make your 2.5g Chrome wheels ALL chrome. - 2GStratus
Before

After

My video showing how it done and how it works:

Yea, I saw it on 2gstratus.org so I did it and decided to let people know how to do it.
Old 02/13/2010, 12:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Stratus
dmg88 needs to be reminded to breathe.
Dude peal already has a How To on 2gstratus on how to do this. If your gonna copy his method and pass it off as your own with no credit given to him.....that's pretty much a big slap in the face.

Good rule of thumb always give credit where credit is due. And in this case credit should be given to Dan(Peral).

David
dmg88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/13/2010, 01:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Asian Invasion

Vehicle: Dodge Challenger SRT8
wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.wiseoracle is God.
Send a message via AIM to wiseoracle Send a message via MSN to wiseoracle
Way to steal Dan's discovery and act as if it's yours.
wiseoracle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/13/2010, 02:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Shut up.

Vehicle: 2007 Infiniti G35X
wright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends here
Send a message via MSN to wright06jhs
Quote:
I was hoping you would chime in Dan.

My Ride

G35Driver
wright06jhs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/13/2010, 07:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Low and Slow.

Pearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg88 View Post
Dude peal already has a How To on 2gstratus on how to do this. If your gonna copy his method and pass it off as your own with no credit given to him.....that's pretty much a big slap in the face.

Good rule of thumb always give credit where credit is due. And in this case credit should be given to Dan(Pearl).

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseoracle View Post
Way to steal Dan's discovery and act as if it's yours.
I have made a few how-to's on 2gstratus.org with the help of threads on this site, but gave credit to the original creators at the beginning of each how-to.

My car
Old 02/13/2010, 08:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
passport applied for

Vehicle: 03 spyder gts
tomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by many
QUICK QUESTION! if you remove paint from a powder coated rim will the powder coat remain?
anyone?
Old 02/13/2010, 09:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
passport applied for

tomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by many
anyone?
Old 02/13/2010, 09:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
i may be late to the party, but 1. paint stripper will not hurt chrome on the wheel 2. you don't need to clear a chrome wheel 3. paint stripper can damage/soften/remove powder coating depending on the chemicals used.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/13/2010, 10:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
passport applied for

thanks bud! my boy painted his white wheels black and now wants to remove it. i told him he would have to have them blasted and then powder coated,or he could go cheap ass and paint them again!!
ps. my f-ing cat is almost healed up! gonna make her my avatar with the conehead on!
Old 02/13/2010, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
2011's are gay

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GTS 6G75
White Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsoutdoor View Post
thanks bud! my boy painted his white wheels black and now wants to remove it. i told him he would have to have them blasted and then powder coated,or he could go cheap ass and paint them again!!
ps. my f-ing cat is almost healed up! gonna make her my avatar with the conehead on!
we do blasting and powder coating
A-E Powdercoating
http://www.a-epowdercoating.com/ | Facebook
Old 02/13/2010, 11:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

ok, i didn't realize they were chrome, my bad. but washing causic chemicals into your yard is stupid.

oh, and bitter: paint stripper CAN damage chrome. i did it before... accidentally.

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 02/13/2010, 11:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
maybe an acid based paint stripper, but that aircraft stuff is a solvent type.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/13/2010, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
passport applied for

thanks, we have a real good guy,davespowdercoating,just down the road and his work is very good. he qoted $50 a wheel to strip and coat white, is that a good deal?
we have to remove the tires.thanks anyway
Old 02/13/2010, 11:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
passport applied for

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
just checked your site, i like the fading work. cool job!!
Old 02/13/2010, 11:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
maybe an acid based paint stripper, but that aircraft stuff is a solvent type.
ahhhh. gotcha.

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 02/14/2010, 09:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Your Reality Check

Vehicle: Y2K GT-P
ICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO
Wheels McFly..Wheels! You sound like a damn fool when you say it wrong!
ICEMAN99TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/14/2010, 11:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Flip! What the zip?!

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe
Hijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends here
Hey, on that first completed wheel/tire... You have a weak sidewall...that thing could blow. Just a heads up...that's what bubble is.

It's called cryptochronophililite!
Hijinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2010, 12:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
Arabs drive fast too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
Hey, on that first completed wheel/tire... You have a weak sidewall...that thing could blow. Just a heads up...that's what bubble is.
Thanks for the warning man I'm going to ride it out. I get my tires for a $30 a piece from this wear house here in Charlotte so I'm not complaining.
Old 02/17/2010, 03:54 PM   #32 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse Gs
2003eclipsegs : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsoutdoor View Post
thanks, we have a real good guy,davespowdercoating,just down the road and his work is very good. he qoted $50 a wheel to strip and coat white, is that a good deal?
we have to remove the tires.thanks anyway
I got my 17s powdercoated for 120...all 4 of them...
Old 02/19/2010, 08:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T
Dantz : who are you?
Any chance this would work on a 2G Stratus? I mean like the true 2G version (2002.)
Dantz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/19/2010, 08:17 PM   #34 (permalink)
Low and Slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantz View Post
Any chance this would work on a 2G Stratus? I mean like the true 2G version (2002.)
This will only work on one specific wheel. 2003-2005 Dodge Stratus COUPE wheels with Chrome faces. If it worked for other wheels I would have posted it.

Browse a few posts back and you will find my how to explaining the details of this mod. I know the ins and outs of this mod, because I discovered it and did research/homework about it.

My car
Old 02/19/2010, 10:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T
Dantz : who are you?
Quote:
This will only work on one specific wheel. 2003-2005 Dodge Stratus COUPE wheels with Chrome faces. If it worked for other wheels I would have posted it.

Browse a few posts back and you will find my how to explaining the details of this mod. I know the ins and outs of this mod, because I discovered it and did research/homework about it.
Yeah, I saw the article on 2GStratus, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway. I thought perhaps you didn't have a regular 2G coupe to play around with, and so maybe hadn't tried it on that.

Thanks for the insight though!
Dantz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Show

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.