Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOW TO: Change interior bulb color

47K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Tink 
#1 · (Edited)
Many people have pm'd me asking me how I changed my interior to red so I thought I'd do a how-to that would make it easier.

**You have to go through different procedures to change the bulbs to other colors (blue, etc)**

Bulbs you will need: (6) size 194 bulbs, and (6) size 74 bulbs.

I would do this with the car off just to be safe that you don't blow a fuse

For the gauge cluster:

Notice that my needles are white, you do NOT have to strip the color from your needles if you don't want to, they will still shine through red at night.
Unscrew everything and unplug the 3 plugs holding the gauge pod on. There are many bulbs in the cluster but you only need to change the 6 size 194 bulbs shown here:

These bulbs just twist right now, and then you replace them with the red bulbs...easy!

For the rest of the bulbs, you need to take off your center console. There are 2 screws holding this in down by the cubby hole, and then you need to disconnect your hazard lights by unplugging them.

For the clock pod:

There are simply 3 size 74 bulbs in there, you just unscrew the holders like in the gauge pod and replace them with red bulbs!

For the radio:

The radio and the temp controls are the most difficult. You really just need to get the faceplate off for the radio, there are some tabs holding that in. Once you get that off, it should look like this:

You need to unscrew all of the little screws you see there and take off the green plate. There are also tabs holding this down.

Once you get that off it will look like this:

This accesses the bulbs. I took all of the little orange "condoms" off at this point and colored in all of the bulbs red with a Sharpie marker.

After this I also got down to the buttons and sprayed the back of those in red to make it shine brighter... (I used Testors transparent hobby paint in Candy Apple Red, you can find this at most hobby or craft stores).

Then you just put it all back together the way you took it apart.

For the temp controls:

You need to get all 3 of the knobs off in order to get the faceplate off to access the bulbs. If you take your radio out (you don't need to unplug it, just move it out of the way) you can see in behind the controls. The middle knob should just pull right out, there is nothing holding it in. The outer two knobs have 2 little tabs on them, you need to push them in for the knob to come off without breaking. Be very careful when doing this so that you don't break the knobs! I ALWAYS break one of the tabs when I do this, so don't worry if you do also, you only need one working tab to put it back in. Unfortunately I don't have my car anymore to take pictures of the tiny tabs for you, but it helps if you lay down and use a flashlight. The tabs are VERY small and hard to see, but once you get down there you'll know what I mean. The tabs are actually on the knob towards the back. I used a very small flathead screwdriver to push the tabs in.

Once you get all 3 knobs off you should be able to get the faceplate off fairly easily and you should see this:

There are 2 size 74 bulbs in there, simply replace them with red size 74 bulbs and put it all back together.

Again, I sprayed the back of the faceplate with Testors paint to make it a deeper red.

For the cubby hole:

Super easy, all you have to do is twist out the holder, twist out the bulb and replace it with a red size 74 bulb.

Once everything is done and put back together you should see this:

Thank you and let me know if anyone has any questions!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.