Local help replacing an o2 sensor? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Regional Forums > Texas
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/15/2006, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 GT
xmlenigma : who are you?
Local help replacing an o2 sensor?

Guys does anyone know how to replace an O2 sensor? Can they help me do it?

If I had to go to a shop how much would it cost in labour?

Let me know please.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 01/15/2006, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lance Corporal

Vehicle: 04 Cummins 4x4
McLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regularMcLarenross should be considered a regular
If you want to come to College Station Ill help ya. Its not hard at all. If you have basic tools you can do it your self pretty easily.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

Motivated Lance Corporal of Marines! OOHRAH!
McLarenross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/15/2006, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
sleeping : who are you?
did you change your pipe or just a bad sensor?

if ya changed ya pipe and need it installed to the pipe.,. go to any muffler shop and have them place a O2 bung in ya pipe. costs about 30 bucks or so and takes about 30 minutes.

If ya just have a bad sensor it unclips at the top of the cable. Just unclip it unbolt the sensor in the pipe and then reverse.. bolt it in before cliping it. and walla your done.
sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/15/2006, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
U break it, I fix it

Vehicle: 06 Hayabusa
arnie3600 : who are you?arnie3600 : who are you?
Do you know which sensor it is? You should have 3 on your car. One on the front headers and one on the rear and one behind the cat. The one on the rear header is the hardest unless you have the right tools.
arnie3600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/15/2006, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the community.

I did not change any pipes etc.

Just one bright day near the end of November the SES light came up. Since I was due to fly out for 6-8 weeks I thought it was possibly a loose fuel cap or fact that I needed to go for an oil change.

Got an oil change but that did not go away. I flew back to Houston a few days ago and went to Autozone for a code check.

It said something of this nature "xyz.... heating circuit..." ( I can go get the exact codes and error message).

I just looked up oxygensensors.com based suggestions by another 3G member here.

I have no tools period (unless some came with the car ??)

Code:
FREE Shipping On U.S. deliveries over $50!    Subtotal: $0.00   

Your vehicle:
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6-3.0L exc. Calif.   

Check Out Our Performance Guarantee!! 
Call us toll-free @ 1-866-441-7039  Oxygen Sensor Tools! 

$24.95 each 
More tools...  

Sensor located in front manifold/exhaust pipebefore catalyst - two required  
Type of Sensor # of Wires Brand Price Ships Part Number Quantity Picture Crossreference 
OE 4 Walker $85.90 Monday  250-24232        VIEW  Replaces #'s  
OE 4 Denso $70.99 Tuesday  234-4641        VIEW  Replaces #'s  
Universal 4 Walker $59.90 Monday  250-24200        VIEW  Replaces #'s  

Downstream sensor, after catalyst  
Type of Sensor # of Wires Brand Price Ships Part Number Quantity Picture Crossreference 
OE 4 Walker $85.90 Monday  250-24232        VIEW  Replaces #'s  
OE 4 Denso $107.99 Tuesday  234-4642        VIEW  Replaces #'s  
Universal 4 Walker $59.90 Monday  250-24200        VIEW  Replaces #'s
Do let me know if these would be the right ones to pick up??? If so which one? Open to other recommendations.

Code:
Oxygen Sensor Removal/Installation Tools 

Our Oxygen Sensor Tools are great for removing hard-to-get-at sensors!! 

Oxygen Sensor Socket 

$9.95 Each 

QTY       Compact Sensor Wrench 

$14.95 Each 

QTY       3-Piece Tool Kit 

$24.95 Each 

QTY
I am possibly going to be in Austin next weekend. Do you think we can do it at that time?

Last edited by xmlenigma; 01/15/2006 at 03:45 PM.
xmlenigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/15/2006, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
U break it, I fix it

If you can get the exact code and error message, that would be great because it will say something like O2 1/2 or O2 2/1. That will tell us that it's bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 2 sensor 1. I'll do it for you if you are in Austin and know before time which sensor it is under one condition, you must buy the sensor with the plug ready to plug in, no cutting or soldering of wires. I just hate having to do that. I'll do it for you if you buy the complete sensor with plug. Just let me know.

Ryan
Old 01/16/2006, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie3600
If you can get the exact code and error message, that would be great because it will say something like O2 1/2 or O2 2/1. That will tell us that it's bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 2 sensor 1. I'll do it for you if you are in Austin and know before time which sensor it is under one condition, you must buy the sensor with the plug ready to plug in, no cutting or soldering of wires. I just hate having to do that. I'll do it for you if you buy the complete sensor with plug. Just let me know.

Ryan
Thanks. I'll post that info tomorrow. From what the Autozone guys told me the universal comes without the plug and the OEM comes with the plug (in their inventory atleast.. around 60 and OEM was 150+ only on order)
Old 01/16/2006, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Code - P0141 - 02 (Bank 1 Sensor 2) - Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction.

This was the code. Can you advise on which part I would need?

I also posted on o2 sensor question thread to get some advise.

Last edited by xmlenigma; 01/16/2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01/16/2006, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
U break it, I fix it

Most O2 sensors are heated and the element is built in. This means that you need the downstream sensor on the back bank (bank 1). This is the one that is behind your oil pan and next to your steering rack. Not the easiest, but it can be done. Let me know if you still want me to do it and if your getting the OEM sensor?

Ryan
Old 01/17/2006, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie3600
Most O2 sensors are heated and the element is built in. This means that you need the downstream sensor on the back bank (bank 1). This is the one that is behind your oil pan and next to your steering rack. Not the easiest, but it can be done. Let me know if you still want me to do it and if your getting the OEM sensor?

Ryan
Are all OEM sensors the same? BOSCH, DENSO etc. ? Do let me know.
Old 01/19/2006, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
My luvly manly lump!

Vehicle: 06GTPP/AWD + 01GTPP-T/5MT
Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to Slippercream
yep. So long as it's a 4-wire or an OE replacement. At the very least, just make sure that it's the same thread.

You can even get one from a reputable junk yard. Just have it in writing as ensured to be in working condition.

Last edited by Slippercream; 01/19/2006 at 02:12 PM.
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/20/2006, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippercream
yep. So long as it's a 4-wire or an OE replacement. At the very least, just make sure that it's the same thread.

You can even get one from a reputable junk yard. Just have it in writing as ensured to be in working condition.
Where the fuck u been?
Old 01/20/2006, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

buddy im gonna be in austin tomorrow PM me ur no.. so I can call you. I dont know what ur sched looks like.. but lets talk and see if we can ALIGN.

PS: Im gonna have a buddy from out of state with me for a little sightseeing so I was just curious what kind of time this kind of a thing takes?

Slipper - Where and which junkyard can I go to in Houston?? anyone else? what kinda price should I pay there ??

PS: Also besides Autozone and Oriellys are there any other stores in Houston where I can get a new one for a better price, else i'll pick one up from a store today/

PPS: Would it be too bad if I drove to Austin and back with this O2 problem and did not get a chance to change the sensor until another week?

Any comments based on discussion in this thread?
o2 sensor question

Last edited by xmlenigma; 01/20/2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01/20/2006, 07:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
U break it, I fix it

I'll be at work until 4 at the dealership. I'm free after that.
I'll pm you with my number.
Old 01/21/2006, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
My luvly manly lump!

Vehicle: 06GTPP/AWD + 01GTPP-T/5MT
Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?Slippercream : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to Slippercream
Abhi... $60 isn't a huge hole in your pocket, is it? Getting a used one from a junk yard is an option, but getting a $60-80 from a retail shop brand new and that's sure to work is way worth the bother of finding it cheaper.

How about this: meet up with Arnie, then go to O'Reilly. Problem solved, Mr. Enterprise Architect!
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/22/2006, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey hey.. where u been saw ur missed call. Lets talk. Long time buddy.. hows u been? New car.. so Im guessing you are permanente'.

That position I have not closed on as yet. Lets see how that goes...

Arnie - Sorry about not gettin in touch but this weekend being HOST to an old buddy kind of got me busy. I'll touch base with you soon. Thanks.

Last edited by xmlenigma; 01/22/2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01/25/2006, 09:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Centex

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse
Fearedeclipse : who are you?
Send a message via MSN to Fearedeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to Fearedeclipse
ahh .. i payed .. 186 for mine .. it was bank 2 sensor one *back side not the front easy one * there not hard just hard to get to .. i got a bosch from autozone there about the same price everywhere
Fearedeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/13/2008, 01:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Need repairs on my 3G: Recommend please

Need repairs on my 3G: Recommend please

How & where do I get my brakes replaced (yes.. started hearing that metallic squeaky sound). Dont ask why I let it get that far... I've been out of the country for months so lot of stuff gets left un done.

I am currently off I-10 & Dairy Ashford. Any recommendations or should I just go to Just Brakes for a quick one.

PS: Also need a recommendation to go for replacement of "WAY OVER DUE" O2 sensor - This could be in Houston or even Austin or Dallas. How much time would that take to get replaced? Parts & Labour?

PS: I know arnie you had made me an offer to do it if I came to Austin. My life has been chaos.. and still is.. Can you still help?
Old 05/14/2008, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Crap I went to Autozone again yesterday and they gave me Code: P0155 - Bank 2 Sensor 1 instead of the P0141.

Thats wierd. How can the codes change from one to another?
Old 05/14/2008, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmlenigma View Post
Crap I went to Autozone again yesterday and they gave me Code: P0155 - Bank 2 Sensor 1 instead of the P0141.

Thats wierd. How can the codes change from one to another?
Operator error?

At least B2S1 is probably the easiest one on the car to do.
Old 05/16/2008, 01:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Call me CHOUJI!

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
janus02 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to janus02 Send a message via Yahoo to janus02
Ebay baby, Ebay! If you're willing to save some $$ on your total cost just look for the items you need for repair on ebay. As for the O2 sensor they are expensive as fuck especially from Bosch (its usually the only one you can get at autozone quick sometimes). if you look hard enough on there, you might find all the parts real cheap that are OEM spec. I have a store i saved on my favorites that sells OEM spec O2 sensors (without the clip) for like under $50 i think. The main thing to remember is that if you take your car to a shop, they charge you out the ass for parts/labor (depending where you go) mainly cuz they try 2 get parts straight from the dealer instead of checking in a nearby auto parts shop. if you're lucky, you can find a mechanic that will tell you, "here's the total for parts and labor. now, if you want you can find the parts somewhere else and they might be cheaper for you and just bring them in and ill only charge you the labor." in situations like that, sometimes you win sometimes you loose. so just look up the parts you need on the web 1st to get a rough estimate then hit up the mechanic and see what they tell you.

all praise Ebay

if anyone else agrees with me, thanks. for those that dont agree, im good either way just remember, we're all here to lend advice and help in any way, not to mock anyone or talk "smack" or go around insulting any stupid comment or suggestion one makes.
janus02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/18/2008, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

How to be sure of the CODE? Reset & see if it comes again?
Old 05/18/2008, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
Quote:
How to be sure of the CODE? Reset & see if it comes again?
Yeah, reset it. When it comes back, go to autozone or advance and WATCH the guy read the code. Don't wait for him to write it down for you.

www.oxygensensors.com or www.sparkplugs.com are both good sources for these parts. They'll save you about $50 off dealer price.

I recommend NOT using the universal type. Just pay the extra money for the OE type and save yourself the headache of splicing all the wires. Get OE and it's plug-and-play.

If you do this yourself (or even with someone else), this is my recommendation: Don't bother with those slotted O2 sensor sockets. The slot for the wires lets it spread under torque and it will just round off the sensor. Then you're in trouble. Just cut the wires and put a deep well 6 point socket (I think 22mm, but don't quote me on that) over the thing and use a long breaker bar.

You can make it easier on yourself if you heat the area surrounding the sensor with a little pen torch and squirting some PB Blaster around the sensor. Some of it will steam up and evaporate. Keep applying until it does not. Wipe off any excess.

Wait 20 minutes. Then repeat. The heat expands the metal a little and helps draw in the PB Blaster.

Don't forget the little tube of anti-seize. Use it. Don't get any on the sensor or it could be ruined. Just get it on the threads.
Old 05/19/2008, 01:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

I got my brake pads replaced over the weekend. SuperGT Sean and his buddy did the whole thing. I cant THANK them enough for saving me from the JustBrakes and BrakeCheck chains. I really appreciate these guys and if they ever need any help from my side I'll be willing to do what I can.

PS - They told me that if I unplug the battery for 10/20 minutes and then go for an inspection the sensor code and service engine would not show and I can get an inspection sticker easy. Any such experiences you guys have tried?
Old 05/19/2008, 11:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
B U

Vehicle: 01 Gt
3gen_venn : who are you?3gen_venn : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to 3gen_venn Send a message via MSN to 3gen_venn Send a message via Yahoo to 3gen_venn
Quote:
I got my brake pads replaced over the weekend. SuperGT Sean and his buddy did the whole thing. I cant THANK them enough for saving me from the JustBrakes and BrakeCheck chains. I really appreciate these guys and if they ever need any help from my side I'll be willing to do what I can.

PS - They told me that if I unplug the battery for 10/20 minutes and then go for an inspection the sensor code and service engine would not show and I can get an inspection sticker easy. Any such experiences you guys have tried?
hey man.. i met you a long time ago when you still lived in NW houston, but I forgot your name..

anyhow, this trick didnt work for me last time i did my inspection since my code was related to emissions. My SES lights were not on, but the code still showed up in the OBD II scan. so it was a no go for me...

to Sean!
3gen_venn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/21/2008, 02:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gen_venn View Post
hey man.. i met you a long time ago when you still lived in NW houston, but I forgot your name..

anyhow, this trick didnt work for me last time i did my inspection since my code was related to emissions. My SES lights were not on, but the code still showed up in the OBD II scan. so it was a no go for me...

to Sean!
Yeah Venn.. You were my first 3G Meetup in person You still working for that electronics store?
Old 05/21/2008, 02:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gen_venn View Post

to Sean!
Is the OBD II scan the same as the one they use at Autozone?

Sean / SuperGT - Dude.. will this work?
Old 05/21/2008, 03:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Donate 4 Life

Vehicle: umm let me guess
superGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by manysuperGT is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to superGT Send a message via Yahoo to superGT
Mine has thrown the code a couple times and it worked for me. Best bet is to just go ahead and get the 02sensor changed.
superGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/21/2008, 03:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Longhornman : who are you?
what part of houston are you
Longhornman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/21/2008, 07:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

I DO want to get it changed. Lets see how I get that done.

PS - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html Is that worth it?

Sean - Did you have a O2 Sensor issue as well?

I am on the west side of town - Dairy Ashford / I-10. I used to live inside the 610 loop until a few weeks back.
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Regional Forums > Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.