Newly Installed Break Pads - Burning Smell and Squeeling - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/13/2011, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: Eclipse Spyder GS 3G
XeoNick : who are you?
Unhappy Newly Installed Break Pads - Burning Smell and Squeeling

Hi there. I have never changed breaks before, so last night i figured id go give it a shot. I have a 2001 Spyder GS. I went to the auto parts store and bought some Wearever gold premium pads for around 32 bucks. I removed the old ones, pushed back the caliper pistions to make room for the thinker pads, and installed the new ones. I was driving today and noticed the car started to sequel only when applying the breaks and there is a horrible burning smell. I didn't replace the rotors because they look fine and i didnt bleed the the break line because i didnt open the bleeder valve when i was pushing the caliper pistions back. Do i screw something up? Is this normal? Im scared to drive my car anywhere till i get a better idea of whats going on.

Thanks in advance for your help!
XeoNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/13/2011, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
2011's are gay

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GTS 6G75
White Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by all
did you grease the back of the pads?
Old 05/13/2011, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Vehicle: 05 Eclipse Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Did you put them on backwards? And cheap pads are known for squealing...

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

One of the best 3G answers ever.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/13/2011, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8
Lethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends here
1. did you grease the back of the pads and slider pins?
2. did you install them backwards?
3. sometimes they have to bed themselves in
Lethal1ty17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/13/2011, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 04 NSX, 10 Murano, 08 Alt
HIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05eclipse05 View Post
Did you put them on backwards? And cheap pads are known for squealing...
Not entirely true. Very aggressive race application pads will be very loud and squeal when cold as well. So, it really depends on what pad he purchased.
HIJACKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/13/2011, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wearever gold premium pads is the type of pads i bough. 32 was middle of the road for what they were selling.

I did not grease anything, should i have to?

Shouldn't the pads just "wear in"?
Old 05/13/2011, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIJACKER View Post
Not entirely true. Very aggressive race application pads will be very loud and squeal when cold as well. So, it really depends on what pad he purchased.
Well yes. But we weren't talking about race pads were we? Those are made of a completely different type of material.

Old 05/13/2011, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeoNick View Post
Wearever gold premium pads is the type of pads i bough. 32 was middle of the road for what they were selling.

I did not grease anything, should i have to?

Shouldn't the pads just "wear in"?
Yes, you should have greased. And pads don't just "wear in" after a day of driving. It takes weeks, if not months.

Old 05/13/2011, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Lethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends here
Whenever I change my brake pads I usually do some aggressive stopping for the next day or two (when it's safe to do so) and that usually helps wear down the high spots. But it does take days/weeks/months to fully wear in. Less time if you replace the pads and rotors at the same time though because then you have 2 flat surfaces contacting each other.
Old 05/13/2011, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal1ty17 View Post
Whenever I change my brake pads I usually do some aggressive stopping for the next day or two (when it's safe to do so) and that usually helps wear down the high spots. But it does take days/weeks/months to fully wear in. Less time if you replace the pads and rotors at the same time though because then you have 2 flat surfaces contacting each other.
Actually, that's a very bad thing to do. . That can cause resins (that's made inside the pad, and the ones that hold it together) to rise to the top of the pad - which can cause squealing.

Old 05/13/2011, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Quote:
Actually, that's a very bad thing to do. . That can cause resins (that's made inside the pad, and the ones that hold it together) to rise to the top of the pad - which can cause squealing.
This is news to me. I haven't had a problem yet doesn't mean I won't but I seem to have decent luck thus far. In that case, completely disregard my previous advice and just drive like any other sane, civilized motorist.
Old 05/13/2011, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

But is the squeeling normal? Is the burning smell normal? What happens when you change your breaks?
Old 05/13/2011, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

ITS SPELLED "BRAKES" NOT BREAKS.

Slight burning smell is normal. Some squealing is normal too, especially in cheap non-oem pads. I asked once, and i'll ask again. Did you make 100000% sure you didn't put one or two in backwards? Hell, make a video, post it on youtube and show us.

Old 05/13/2011, 09:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Faster than a turtle

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
DaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regularDaniIndoor should be considered a regular
Quote:
ITS SPELLED "BRAKES" NOT BREAKS.

Did you make 100000% sure you didn't put one or two in backwards? Hell, make a video, post it on youtube and show us.
lol Even the OP spelled "brake" wrong in the title.

Yeah, Im thinking they're probably backwards...
DaniIndoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/13/2011, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sorry I am a horrible speller. Lol now I didn't put them in backwards because the inner pads had a piece of metal attached to them (looks like a bracket) and the outer pads didn't have this metal bracket. You can't put the left side on the right side or vice versa because of the way the pads curves it will only fit one way. However feel free to correct me if I an wrong. As I said before, never done this before.
Old 05/14/2011, 05:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
02 3.5l GT-T RIP

Vehicle: 93 GMC Typhoon
02meclipsegt : who are you?02meclipsegt : who are you?
This is normal.
02meclipsegt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/14/2011, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Spring King

Vehicle: '11 135i, '98 Ranger 4x4
tracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by many
A smell doesn't sound right. Can you tell if something is stuck? Maybe jack each corner up and give the wheel a spin, make sure nothing is binding up. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a stink.

Also perhaps drive it for a while without using the brakes at all (circles in an empty parking lot) and then coast to a stop. See if anything is really hot - if it is then one (or more) corners may have the brakes applied even though your foot isn't on the pedal.

Squealing is common. Bed them in. Read around here for bed-in procedures (search function).
tracer bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/15/2011, 01:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
02 3.5l GT-T RIP

Vehicle: 93 GMC Typhoon
02meclipsegt : who are you?02meclipsegt : who are you?
You're not working in a sterile environment, your burning off all the oils from your hands and whatever else you touched. Give it a couple days and you'll be fine.
02meclipsegt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/15/2011, 01:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Psychotic

chino seems to be okaychino seems to be okaychino seems to be okaychino seems to be okaychino seems to be okaychino seems to be okaychino seems to be okay
did you add brake fluid? if you did is it over the max line?
chino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/20/2011, 02:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ok so its been a week or so and im checking back in for an update. No i didnt add brake fluid and no its not at the max line. The smell isnt there anymore but here is what i have still going on:

1. Brakes get very hot (if i touch the rims long enough it feels like i might burn my hand)

2. Car still sequels, but the thing is that its only squealing when i brake and it sequels in a pattern. So basically i apply the brakes and it starts to sequel on and off for every rotation of the tires. Would sound like "sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel" then the car stops.

3. I hear a noise when i apply the breaks that is (to my knowledge) a normal noise cars make when you barely apply to them. The resulting noise is like a low growl. Well i am starting to hear this same noise when im just applying the brakes regularly. Any ideas?
Old 05/20/2011, 10:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse RS
bad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okay
how worn were the old brakes pads that you took off?
Old 05/21/2011, 04:12 AM   #22 (permalink)

ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.ThaCrow is clearly one sexy bitch.
Did anyone mention shims?
ThaCrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/21/2011, 06:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Spring King

Vehicle: '11 135i, '98 Ranger 4x4
tracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by many
Still possible bed-in problems. Did you go through that procedure? The intermittent squealing says you need to do it again, you have spots on the rotor with and without (well, with less) friction.

I'm starting to wonder if you have one or more stuck calipers. That could explain the hotness and smell, and that could eventually lead to squeaking as well once a rotor glazes over.

Did you replace the pads? Did you happen to check that the calipers were good (that the slider pins were in good shape and greased and such)? Or notice the condition of the old pads, was one set worn a lot more than the others?

Also, you may try to get a friend to listen from the outside of the car. See if they can tell which wheel makes the noise or if it's more than one of them. Might get you closer to an answer if you can locate exactly where it is.
tracer bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/22/2011, 08:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
lit up

Vehicle: '02 mountain bike
soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.
i had this exact same thing with wear-ever pads-- you bought semi-metallic pads instead of ceramic pads. swap them out, and everything will be fine.

edit: problem #3: even the low growl was exactly what i was experiencing-- at the time my brother was in UTI, and i was driving him crazy because neither of us could figure out what caused that noise..

@ tracerbullet:
during the time i had the problem, i did go so far as to replace both front calipers. it did not correct the issue because it was the pad compound causing the problem.. though on a 10+ year old car, it can't hurt anything..

eclipses come stock with ceramic pads, and the rotors are designed for the ceramic pads, though when i had bought my pads, i thought that it didn't matter, and the semi-metallic was cheaper...

i spent months trying to figure out how i could start the brake pads smoking so easily-- in my tests, i would get the car up to about 30mph in a parking lot, and slam on the brakes hard enough to almost skid, but not quite. after the 3rd, or 4th time, the brakes would start smelling/burning.

i literally burned through those pads in about 2 months.

i have since gotten some ceramic pads(still wear-ever brand), and have zero of those issues since.

Last edited by soundman98; 05/22/2011 at 08:25 PM.
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/23/2011, 06:54 AM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse RS
bad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i had this exact same thing with wear-ever pads-- you bought semi-metallic pads instead of ceramic pads. swap them out, and everything will be fine.

edit: problem #3: even the low growl was exactly what i was experiencing-- at the time my brother was in UTI, and i was driving him crazy because neither of us could figure out what caused that noise..

@ tracerbullet:
during the time i had the problem, i did go so far as to replace both front calipers. it did not correct the issue because it was the pad compound causing the problem.. though on a 10+ year old car, it can't hurt anything..

eclipses come stock with ceramic pads, and the rotors are designed for the ceramic pads, though when i had bought my pads, i thought that it didn't matter, and the semi-metallic was cheaper...

i spent months trying to figure out how i could start the brake pads smoking so easily-- in my tests, i would get the car up to about 30mph in a parking lot, and slam on the brakes hard enough to almost skid, but not quite. after the 3rd, or 4th time, the brakes would start smelling/burning.

i literally burned through those pads in about 2 months.

i have since gotten some ceramic pads(still wear-ever brand), and have zero of those issues since.
i had the same problem...with ceramic pads.

...and rotors aren't designed for specific pad compounds.

i'm willing to bet the brake pad surface(s) were contaminated before being installed. it happened to me on one of my vehicles.

it could a few grains of dirt/sand, metal...anything. replacing the pads will solve the problem as long as the rotors haven't been damaged by whatever is trapped between it and the pad.
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Tags
break, pads, smell, squeak, squeeling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.