Required Lowering Equipment? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/25/2013, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Sporty GS
JFoxx488 : who are you?
Required Lowering Equipment?

Hey, I'm new, I'm a noob, and I've searched all over the place, and I can't seem to find any thread that truly answers my question. It seems like I'm trying to put together some crazy puzzle from all the different answers I've gotten from everyone. So Basically my question is, is this what I'll need when I lower my 2000 GS?

Eibach Sportlines Springs (2" drop)
KYB AGX's
SM5388 KYB Front Strut Mounts (2)
Do I need SM5091 KYB Rear Strut Mounts or SM5433 KYB Strut Mount Spring Seats, or both? -(This is incredibly confusing to my tiny noob brain)
SB103 KYB Strut Boots (4)
Front and Rear Camber Kit (Which would you veterans recommend?)
and on my GS do I have a front and rear swaybar stock? and if I do, do I need new endlinks on both? (Do they break or rub, and what is the reason behind getting new endlinks?)
And is there anything else that I should replace while I'm there?

I'm grateful for any and all help that I can get here. I've read thread after thread of how people regret not doing something right on the first time and having terrible problems with their suspensions later, so I wanna get it done right the first time. If there's a thread I missed that has all these answers already on it, a link would be awesome Thanks a million
JFoxx488 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/26/2013, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tony

Vehicle: 04 eclipse spyder GT
TONYJ : who are you?
ive done allot of searching myself and from what i gathered, at the bottom of my members ride thred is what you should need to complete your lowering list.( plus a front camber kit which is not on my list) hope it helps
Old 01/26/2013, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh sweet, thanks dude
Old 01/26/2013, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: Varis Evo X
Treyzian seems to be okayTreyzian seems to be okayTreyzian seems to be okayTreyzian seems to be okayTreyzian seems to be okayTreyzian seems to be okay
The following is just info specific to coilovers, most should translate to the shocks and springs setups.

Front camber kit was unnecessary for the coilovers, as they come with camber plates. I'm not sure if you would need them, but just spend the extra and get a front kit.

On the GS, you do have a FSB, and I'm pretty sure you also have a RSB. Search it, or just simply take a peek under your car... Either way, you won't need the rear endlinks, as they are not attached to the strut. The fronts, however, are. You will need front endlinks. THe best choice would be Moog endlinks, affectionately known as the Problem Solver. They redesigned the endlinks to be beefier, and also the threads have a hex on the joint side of things, to hold using a wrench. This makes install and removal much easier. They are also greaseable.

One thing you should keep in mind though: you drive a 4 cylinder. The lesser weight of the engine makes the front sit a little higher than expected. (Shocks and springs for our cars were designed for the V6).

If you really want to get everything right the first time, go with coilovers. They have fully adjustable ride height, and bring great handling. Some people who get the KYB AGX/Spring set up are disappointed with the amount of roll.
Treyzian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/26/2013, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Spring King

Vehicle: '11 135i, '98 Ranger 4x4
tracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by many
Eibach Sportlines Springs (2" drop) - Yes of course
KYB AGX's - Yes definitely recommended
SM5388 KYB Front Strut Mounts (2) - Not a bad idea, there are bearings in them that can wear, but do not "need" unless you know you have a problem here
SM5091 KYB Rear Strut Mounts - Like the above, not a bad idea, they can wear, but do not "need" unless you know you have a problem here
SM5433 KYB Strut Mount Spring Seats - The stock ones tend to get chewed up, in my experience I'd consider these since they should be cheap but again do not "need"
SB103 KYB Strut Boots (4) - Shouldn't need unless yours are missing or chewed up, just reuse what you have
Front and Rear Camber Kit - Front should have enough built-in adjustment to be OK, rear you will have to do something. If an adjustable kit is cheap that can be tweaked by an alignment shop, it's nice to have. Otherwise look for the "DIY rear camber kit" by searching around here, just keep in mind that the money saved in parts might be offset by more time / money spent in labor costs.
endlinks - generally it's the front ones that are recommended to replace, it's because they are kind of flimsy and like to tear apart, especially as they get older, when you are doing the other suspension work. Rears, if you have them, should be fine to leave alone.
And is there anything else that I should replace while I'm there? - Springs & struts are the bare minimums, rear camber kit and front endlinks are highly recommended, everything after that - the wear items mentioned above are nice to have if you have the funds and want to be sure it's all done correctly, but aren't strictly necessary.
tracer bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/26/2013, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks guys. This really helped. I don't quite know if I'm going to be going with the Struts/Springs or coilovers. I was told to go with springs and struts because I use this as my daily driver, and I don't do very much autocrossing. I mostly want the better look, and since my stock struts are all leaking and squeaking I might as well go with some quality stuff while I'm already down there.

I've been told and read that the sportlines will lower my car about as much as the prokit will on the GT. Would it make any difference if I have the auto tranny which weighs more?

Would Tein S-techs give me the same ride quality as the sportlines? I've been told that they aren't as high of quality, and that they'll sag sometimes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Tags
equipment, lowering, springs, struts, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.