Tire keeps going flat - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12/07/2005, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 black gts
atomdrum : who are you?
Tire keeps going flat

Hey everyone,

My front, passenger side tire keeps going flat on me. First time it was flat was about a month or so ago. I took it to a tire place and had them check for any slow leaks but they didn't find anything. I left my car at my house over Thanksgiving break (about 5 days) and came back to find the same tire had gone flat again after sitting in the cold garage. Last night the same thing happened. Went to bed with the tire looking good, woke up and found that it had gone flat.

I've heard that changing temperatures, especially cold, can cause a lot of fluxuation in tire pressure, but how much is normal? It was down to about 1 degree last night here, would that have caused it to drop that much overnight? Should I take it back to another place to get it checked out again? I just don't understand how it can hold pressure for a week or so, and then overnight lose it all.

Any suggestions?
atomdrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12/07/2005, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: '02 GT
20/20Hindsight : who are you?20/20Hindsight : who are you?20/20Hindsight : who are you?
Have you checked the valve stem core? Make sure it is screwed in all the way. That is the piece that is inside the valve stem (the piece you push on if you want to deflate the tire). Your tire shop should have checked it when they checked for leaks, but many over look it.

Valve Stem Cores:

Valve Stem Tool (You need this to tighen/loosen it):
20/20Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/07/2005, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
OMFG

Vehicle: Cars
NAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to NAPALM
If its not the core itself, then its the rubber valve stem piece that the core screws into.

I had a similar problem a while back. Mine would go flat as soon as I got on the freeway. It was the rubber stem.
NAPALM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/07/2005, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
j 2 the Gal

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT 5-speed
repl1ca : who are you?
Perhaps it could be a valve stem extension? Valve stem extensions are quite simply pieces of crap. Also, the cold temperature would not cause the tire to fluxuate that much.
repl1ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/07/2005, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
it could also be a bead leak. have a place break it down, rotate the tire 180 degrees on the wheel and clean the bead on the wheel and tire, then reinstall and rebalance.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/07/2005, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 black gts
atomdrum : who are you?
Thanks guys. I'll just take it in tomorrow and make sure they give it a good check. After all, I have to at least be able to make it home for x-mas break on the tire.
atomdrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.