How to adjust toe & camber? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08/30/2006, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
I think too much

JoesInBoston : who are you?JoesInBoston : who are you?JoesInBoston : who are you?JoesInBoston : who are you?
How to adjust toe & camber?

I am going to do my own alignment this weekend. I know how to measure everything, but I don't know how to adjust it. Does anyone have a picture of the correct components that need to be adjusted and which way to turn them for adjustment?

I can't believe someone hasn't made a DIY Alignment for the Garage yet.
JoesInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08/30/2006, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
I hate stance

Vehicle: V-ROD, R6, GST
XwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by allXwP1ayawX seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to XwP1ayawX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesInBoston
I am going to do my own alignment this weekend. I know how to measure everything, but I don't know how to adjust it. Does anyone have a picture of the correct components that need to be adjusted and which way to turn them for adjustment?

I can't believe someone hasn't made a DIY Alignment for the Garage yet.
Dude it's pretty cheap, just go have it done.
XwP1ayawX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/30/2006, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
bollocks

Vehicle: 04 Z/00 3g
darklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to darklink Send a message via MSN to darklink Send a message via Yahoo to darklink
Perhaps he wants the gratification of knowing how to do it himself. You could even score a little extra cash on the side for it.
There was a howto on alignment at some point, not sure where it went.
darklink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/30/2006, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMFG

Vehicle: Cars
NAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regularNAPALM should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to NAPALM
Your trusty Mitsu service manual will tell you what is factory adjustable, and where/how to adjust it.

Ill give you a brief summary fo what you are looking at for a full alignment.

-Camber is not adjustable in front nor back, from the factory. You need a set of coilovers with adjustable camber plates, or a camber kit to adjust front-end camber. Rear camber needs a camber kit as well, or you can make your own by installing some washers/spacers in between the upper control mounting flanges and the chassis.

-Toe is adjustable via the tie rod adjustments in the front and the manual shows you how on Page 33A-6.

-Toe is adjustable via the toe control arm in the rear. It is on an eccentric that allows adjustment of the toe.
Page 34-6 will show you how.

Good luck.
BTW; I made my own camber kit in the rear for my JICs and it worked great, dont waste your money on a camber kit.
Also, my rear didnt need any toe adjustment, so before you fool with that, set your desired camber, and then check your toe, if you didnt slam your car on the ground itll probably be ok.

Last edited by NAPALM; 08/30/2006 at 11:01 PM.
NAPALM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/31/2006, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
I think too much

JoesInBoston : who are you?JoesInBoston : who are you?JoesInBoston : who are you?JoesInBoston : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XwP1ayawX
Dude it's pretty cheap, just go have it done.
Actually, around here it is not cheap. I have only found a few garages that will align a lowered vehicle. It's upwords of 80-90 dollars for an alignment. If I can save 80-90 bucks, I'm gonna do it myself. And for the record, nothing is cheaper than free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPALM
Your trusty Mitsu service manual will tell you what is factory adjustable, and where/how to adjust it.

Ill give you a brief summary fo what you are looking at for a full alignment.

-Camber is not adjustable in front nor back, from the factory. You need a set of coilovers with adjustable camber plates, or a camber kit to adjust front-end camber. Rear camber needs a camber kit as well, or you can make your own by installing some washers/spacers in between the upper control mounting flanges and the chassis.

-Toe is adjustable via the tie rod adjustments in the front and the manual shows you how on Page 33A-6.

-Toe is adjustable via the toe control arm in the rear. It is on an eccentric that allows adjustment of the toe.
Page 34-6 will show you how.

Good luck.
BTW; I made my own camber kit in the rear for my JICs and it worked great, dont waste your money on a camber kit.
Also, my rear didnt need any toe adjustment, so before you fool with that, set your desired camber, and then check your toe, if you didnt slam your car on the ground itll probably be ok.
Thanks NAPALM. I found the thread on making your own camber kit and I am going to do that this weekend too.
Old 08/31/2006, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
I think too much

NAPALM,

in 33A-8 it shows how to adjust the front camber by using different diameter strut bolts. Any idea where to get these different diameter bolts?
Old 08/31/2006, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GuTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
Thumbs up

OEM Parts Online

Part numbers are:
MR333558
MR333559
MR333560
MR333561
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/31/2006, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
I think too much

E-Rep for you my friend
Old 08/31/2006, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GuTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
Quote:
E-Rep for you my friend
thank you
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/31/2006, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Spring King

Vehicle: '11 135i, '98 Ranger 4x4
tracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by many
Quote:
NAPALM,

in 33A-8 it shows how to adjust the front camber by using different diameter strut bolts. Any idea where to get these different diameter bolts?
Probably the eccentric / egg shaped bolts. It's hard to explain, but if you see them they make sense. You put one on each side through the bottom of the strut, and when you rotate it, the strut shifts around. Sort of. Hell I can't explain it even but again if you see them, they make sense.

You probably won't need them. I have the Tein springs, which are pretty low, and I'm on the edge of spec. Not sure what you have but... you'll probably be OK.

If you do have front camber issues though, PM me and I can sell you (for cheap) the ones I have. They are the standard kit you get at any store.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64506
tracer bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/01/2006, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
I think too much

I don't really have camber issues in the front, I was just curious. I have Eibach Sportlines which are significantly low too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.