Wheel and Tire Sizing and Fitment Guide - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/13/2004, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Vehicle: '04 TSX ; '07 G35x
Phil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regular
Exclamation Wheel and Tire Sizing and Fitment Guide

Lug Pattern

Wheels used on the third generation Eclipse and 8G Galant must have a 5x114.3 (5x4.5") bolt pattern. For wheels that have two bolt patterns (like 5x100/5x114.3 or 5x114.3/5x120), one of those bolt patterns must be 5x114.3 in order for that wheel to fit.

Wheel Width

The width of wheels for this application can range anywhere between 6" and 8.5". WIDTH ALONE MEANS NOTHING. It must be combined with offset to determine if and how a wheel will fit on the car. Where a 7.5" wide +48 offset wheel will fit just fine, an 8" wide +48 offset wheel will not due to the lack of inner clearance with the rear vertical control arms.

Lug Nut Size

12 x 1.5mm

Offset

Factory GT wheel spec: 17x6.5" ; +46 offset ; 5x114.3 ; 67.1mm centerbore (applies to all 2000+ Eclipse models and most Mitsubishi cars)

Offset is the measured distance in millimeters between the centerline of the wheel and the hub mounting surface (where the wheel hub mounts up against the brake rotor/drum hub).

The basic principal behind offset is that all things being equal, the higher the offset the wheel is, the more tucked the wheel will be. The lower the offset, the farther the wheel will protrude.

Example: a 17x7" wheel with a +40 offset will protrude out an extra 15mm when compared to a 17x7" +55 offset wheel. In retrospect, the +55 offset 17x7 will be pushed 15mm closer into the wheel well when compared to the +40 offset 17x7".

Given the many sizes of wheels that are designed for the 3G (and similar platforms) offset should be between +35 and +48.

While offset is SOLELY a measurement of wheel parameters, offset does play a role in determining if a certain size tire will fit -and- not rub any suspension/body components.

Width/Offset Recommendations

Here's a reference for offset ranges that can be used safely for different width wheels.

7.0": +32 to +48

7.5": +35 to +45

8.0": +38 to +43

8.5": +40 to +41

Hubcentric Rings

The principle of hubcentric rings is as follows:

You have 3 spinning circular objects (the axle hub, the brake rotor, and the wheel/tire combo). So just imagine a small circle (axle hub), a bigger circle (brake rotor), and the biggest circle (wheel/tire combo). The ideal situation is to have the center most SINGLE POINT of all three circles to be exactly the same. If one circle isn't spinning on the same axis as the other two, the total motion of all three circles combined won't make a circle, but instead will combine to make an oval. Imagine if your wheels and tires were shaped like ovals, you'd get vibrations at speed.

The hubcentric ring compensates for differences between the centerbore of the brake rotor and axle hub, and between the centerbore of the wheel and axle hub. It allows the brake rotor and/or the wheel/tire combo to be better positioned on the hub so that the center most point of all three parts are the same. In the case with my current SSR wheels, the centerbores are bigger than the centerbores of the axle hubs so the center most point of the wheels isn't the same as the center most point of the axle hubs.

Here's what a hub centric ring looks like:

Here's what a centerbore looks like without a hubcentric ring:

Here's what the centerbore looks like with a hubcentric ring:

So lets say that you order a set of wheels that have a 73.1mm centerbore, you'd have to order centering rings that have a 73.1mm outer diameter and a 67.1mm inner diameter. If the wheels have a 75mm centerbore, you'd need rings that have a 75mm outer diameter with a 67.1mm inner diameter.

Recommended Tire Sizes

15" - 195/65-15 (Stock RS size)
16" - 205/55-16 (Stock GS size) ; 225/50-16
17" - 215/50-17 (Stock GT size) ; 225/45-17 ; 235/45-17
18" - 215/45-18 ; 225/40-18 ; 235/40-18
19" - 225/35-19 ; 235/35-19

Lets look at the tires listed in the 18" size.

In the tire size 225/40-18, 225 is the section width of the tire in millimeters. 40 is the aspect ratio (percentage) of the sidewall compared to the section width of the tire.

Example: the sidewall of a 40 series tire is 40% of the section width of the tire, which is equal to 90 millimeters for a 225/40-18 tire. The sidewall of a 45 series, 215mm tire is 96.75 millimeters. The 40 series tire will have a smaller sidewall (lower profile) than the 45 series tire. The sidewall of a 75 series 265mm tire (truck tire) is 198.75mm. The last number in the tire size is the required rim diameter needed to mount a specific tire.

This link will give you a good idea about changing your tire size and the effects it'll have on your speedo/odometer:

Tire size calculator

The tire sizes listed above are the ones that will keep your speedometer/odometer pretty accurate. Any other tire that has a smaller overall diameter will make you think your going faster than you actually are. This will put MORE miles onto your car faster than if you had tires with a similar overall diameter compared to stock.

Here's a really great calculator that calculates BOTH changes in offset and tire size!

Tire/Wheel Combination Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT View Post
Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - WHEELSMASTER

Here is the best tire/wheel calculator. Enjoy
If you decide to use ANY tire size that's not listed in the aforementioned size list, you WILL experience noticeable negative effects in the accuracy of your speedometer, odometer, ABS (Anti-lock Braking System), and (TCS) Traction Control System, which can and more than likely will decrease passenger safety... Take this statement close to heart.

Tire Fitment on Different Width Wheels
The following will give you a GENERAL idea of how different width tires will fit on different width wheels. These are purely generalizations and you should confirm tire to wheel fitment by looking up an individual tires rim width range in its specifications. What everyone needs to realize in this section is that as a tires sidewall gets smaller and smaller, it'll need wider and wider wheels to ensure proper & SAFE contact patches between the tire and the ground. For example, the rim width range for a 215/40-17 tire is 7.0" - 8.5" whearas the rim width range for a 215/50-17 is 6.0" - 7.5" because the 215/50-17 has a larger sidewall than the 215/40-17. Another example, a the minimum rim width for a 235/45-17 tire is 7.5", whereas the minimum rim width for a 235/40-18 tire is 8". The 235/40-18 needs a wider rim because of the decreased sidewall. The Acura MDX comes with 235/75-17"s and they're mounted on 6.5" wide wheels. That is possible and safe because the sidewall on that tire is HUGE! For this listing I will only compare the tire sizes that I recommend for the 3G.

15" Tires

195/65-15 ; Rim Width Range = 5.5" - 7.0"

16" Tires

205/55-16 ; Rim Width Range = 5.5" - 7.5"
225/50-16 ; Rim Width Range = 6.0" - 8.0"

17" Tires

215/50-17 ; Rim Width Range = 6.0" - 7.5"
225/45-17 ; Rim Width Range = 7.0" - 8.5"
235/45-17 ; Rim Width Range = 7.5" - 9.0"

18" Tires

215/45-18 ; Rim Width Range = 7.0" - 8.0"
225/40-18 ; Rim Width Range = 7.5" - 9.0"
235/40-18 ; Rim Width Range = 8.0" - 9.5" (I did run these on 18x7.5"s without problems)

19" Tires

225/35-19 ; Rim Width Range = 7.5" - 9.0"
235/35-19 ; Rim Width Range = 8.0" - 9.5"

Lowered Suspensions & Different Wheels
Now that you hopefully understand what offset is and the parameters surrounding tire sizes, it's time to combine the two.

A common question on this board is "Will I rub?" Offset plays very little a role in determining if your FRONT TIRES will rub on something inside the wheel well. Offset plays a large role in determing if your wheel/tire combo will rub the REAR vertical control arms. To reitterate, offset is very important in determining if a wheel/tire combo will rub in the rear, but not nearly as important in the front.

When lowered ANY AMOUNT, a 225mm width tire, on 7" - 7.5" wide rims with an offset between +38 and +43 or +42 and +48, respectively, will not be prone to rubbing ANYTHING inside the front or rear wheel wells. Don't EVER mount 235 width tires on ANY rim with an offset of +48 or higher.

When lowered more than 1.2" a 235mm width tire on any wheel will be very prone to rubbing this black box in your FRONT wheel wells:
[IMG] [/IMG]

Unlowered OR lowered, a 235mm width tire on a 7.5" wide wheel with an offset up to +45 will come VERY CLOSE to wedging up against the REAR vertical control arms. If you have 7.5" wide +42 ~ +45 offset 18" wheels, stick with either 225/40-18's or 215/45-18's.

Coming Soon: Inner Suspension Clearance Tolerances

Last edited by Phil; 03/23/2008 at 12:51 AM.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/25/2006, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 00' GT 5 spd
stilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends herestilwrks has a few friends here
well Phil, might as well put in my 2c worth, in the form of a question.

more on road race track then street.
using 5zigin 17x8 with a 35 offset. also longer studs up front with concentric hub spacers to clear the brembo system. tires are 225/45.
my question is would 235's clear? the more rubber the better, if possible?
i may also go into race rubber but thats another issue.
appreciate your opinion.........larry
stilwrks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/25/2006, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Phil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regularPhil should be considered a regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilwrks
well Phil, might as well put in my 2c worth, in the form of a question.

more on road race track then street.
using 5zigin 17x8 with a 35 offset. also longer studs up front with concentric hub spacers to clear the brembo system. tires are 225/45.
my question is would 235's clear? the more rubber the better, if possible?
i may also go into race rubber but thats another issue.
appreciate your opinion.........larry
Ty had 17x8 +35 5zigen FN01R-C's with 235/45-17 Toyo T1-S's on his 3g with Stoptech brakes and he didn't need any spacers. My guess is that the difference between where Stoptech's and Brembo's calipers sit is menial at best so I doubt that you'd need spacers.

Old 05/08/2006, 04:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
roots

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse 4cyl
JUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to JUMA
Wheel Offset explained:

Wheel Offset Calculator

mm to inch and vice versa Converter
JUMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/15/2006, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
roots

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse 4cyl
JUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okayJUMA seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to JUMA
Wheel Clearance

Wheel Parts

Wheel Size

Tire Size

1-Tire width (mm or inch)
2-Aspect ratio
3-Radial construction
4-Rim diameter
5-Load index
6-Speed symbol
7-Tire outer diameter (inch)
8-Ply rating
JUMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/23/2006, 03:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
hakphotography.com

Vehicle: Audi R8 V10 Spyder
Himmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends hereHimmad has a few friends here
Would a 19x8 with a 35 offset and a 245/40/19 tire fit on a 3g?
Himmad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/16/2007, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 gs
devils knight : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to devils knight Send a message via Yahoo to devils knight
thanks for the info i was going out to buy my rims this weekend.no i got more of an idea of what i should look for.once again thanks
devils knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/16/2007, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils knight View Post
thanks for the info i was going out to buy my rims this weekend.no i got more of an idea of what i should look for.once again thanks
No problem. Don't hesitate to use this thread for any sizing questions you might have.
Old 02/01/2007, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
Yarricc is similar to TE
Dumb rubbing question

OK. Currently my spyder is stock but I am planning to lower it with eibach pro-kit springs (might go coil overs if I can afford it).

I am looking at 18x8's running a 42 offset and a 225/40x18 tires.

I don't think it will rub but I don't wanna spend $1505 for the wheels and tires + shipping if they are going to rub.

Thx in advance.
Old 02/05/2007, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Work-In-Progress

Vehicle: 2003 GTS
Raiku : who are you?Raiku : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Raiku
is the gts rim offset the same as the gt?
K&N CAI
Eibach Sportlines
Polyurethane Motor Mounts
17" ADR 7 Black w/chrome lip
225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport Tires
Homemade Grill
Megan Racing Short Shifter
ES Shifter Brushings
Magnecore Spark Plug Wires
GReddy Counterweight Shift Knob
Raiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/05/2007, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiku View Post
is the gts rim offset the same as the gt?
Old 02/06/2007, 08:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
C2U4ZE2

Vehicle: 04 M3 Dinan
3gmitsuBMR : who are you?
found it. thanks phil.

the search button is my friend.

Last edited by 3gmitsuBMR; 02/06/2007 at 12:39 PM.
3gmitsuBMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2007, 08:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

http://www.club3g.com/forum/search.php

Also, speedo calibration is impossible with this car.
Old 02/06/2007, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
C2U4ZE2

Vehicle: 04 M3 Dinan
3gmitsuBMR : who are you?

Last edited by 3gmitsuBMR; 02/06/2007 at 12:39 PM.
3gmitsuBMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2007, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Old 03/04/2007, 02:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
First time 3G driver

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
eclipse_gt : who are you?
Tire Size "will they fit" new rims

I have a 2000 GT with factory 17" rims and I think they are total shit I bent one after only a week on an unknown road defect and I plan on getting a set of Motegi MR7 17x7 5-114.3 40 and I want to know if my stock tires will fit these rims 215/50/zr17 front 205/45/17 rear (stock) or if I will need new tires, tires have atleast 75% tread left these are the rims I plan on getting http://www.andysautosport.com/mitsub...e00094741.html
eclipse_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/04/2007, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
17" Tires

215/50-17 ; Rim Width Range = 6.0" - 7.5"
225/45-17 ; Rim Width Range = 7.0" - 8.5"
235/45-17 ; Rim Width Range = 7.5" - 9.0"
205/45-17's are too small.
Old 03/04/2007, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
First time 3G driver

My Bad Correction

I feel stupid now I just looked at my tires a second time corrected sizes are front 215/50/zr17 rear 225/45/17 so by the size chart you provided they should fit the motegi's that I plan on getting unless I'm reading something wrong I know the corrected sizes are correct though.
Old 03/04/2007, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Yeah, they'll fit the 7" wide Motegi's. But I'd definitely suggest that you get the same tire size all around.
Old 03/04/2007, 05:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
First time 3G driver

Thanks

I want the same size all around I got the car like that and the tread was like new so I figured I'd wear them out a bit more. thank you very much for the information I appreciate it very much now I can go ahead and order my motegi's and my intake.
Old 03/10/2007, 03:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ah yes...

Vehicle: 00 GT RIPP STG.3 & EVO X
Clipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wide
Send a message via AIM to Clipse3GT Send a message via MSN to Clipse3GT
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

Clipse3GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/10/2007, 06:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT View Post
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

Badass!
Old 03/11/2007, 04:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Red Beast

Vehicle: 03 GTS
gt_02 seems to be okaygt_02 seems to be okaygt_02 seems to be okaygt_02 seems to be okaygt_02 seems to be okaygt_02 seems to be okay
Great information! Thanks.

Last edited by gt_02; 03/11/2007 at 05:16 AM.
gt_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/15/2007, 07:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
First time 3G driver

Question Lug size and brand

Ok I got my Motegi MR7's and stupid me I didn't order lug nuts and nobody can give me a brand and size I asked the company I ordered from and they told me call Motegi and motegi told me their part numbers(mcg65557 which has locks and 215-049-2500 without locks):confused I know our cars use 12x1.5 mm lugs but I was told I needed gorilla tuner lugs but I wasn't told what style do I need a special style like acorn or conical or will any type of tuner lug that is 12x1.5 mm fit..please help I have a $500 set of rims in my front yard and no lugs.
Old 03/15/2007, 07:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

I've got these and have no complaints about them : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-K...spagenameZWD1V
Old 03/24/2007, 03:48 AM   #26 (permalink)

gt03eclipse : who are you?
would this set up work?

i have kyb agx and tein stechs.

would 235/35/19 tires and 19x7.5wheels +42 offset fit without rubbing?

how bout 215/35/19 tires on 19x7.5 +42 offset?

which set up is better?
gt03eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/24/2007, 07:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 04 NSX, 10 Murano, 08 Alt
HIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by allHIJACKER seems to be well-liked by all
Personally, your best option is 225/40's on 18's. I think having a 215 series tire on a 7.5 inch wide wheel will look like a bicycle, but whatever.. to each is there own I guess.

Did you refer to the sticky to verify your numbers? You might wanna read up:
http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516
HIJACKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/24/2007, 09:37 PM   #28 (permalink)

gt03eclipse : who are you?
yes, i read the thread. i saw 235/35/19 tires recommended on rim width range= 8.0''-9.5''. would the same tires work without rubbing on a 7.5 width wheel?(i have lowered my car 1.7'')

im trying to buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-AD...QQcmdZViewItem

i just think it's a good deal plus i think they'll look nice on my steel blue pearl.

what do you think? ? or ?
gt03eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/25/2007, 10:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
e-thug hating.

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GT
Katsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends hereKatsuramoneh has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt03eclipse View Post
yes, i read the thread. i saw 235/35/19 tires recommended on rim width range= 8.0''-9.5''. would the same tires work without rubbing on a 7.5 width wheel?(i have lowered my car 1.7'')

im trying to buy this eBay Motors: 19 ADR WHEELS RIM TIRES 5 LUG ECLIPSE CELICA MAXIMA RSX (item 120101368891 end time Mar-26-07 14:52:15 PDT)

i just think it's a good deal plus i think they'll look nice on my steel blue pearl.

what do you think? ? or ?
i think those wheels looks good!
Old 06/01/2007, 12:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Work-In-Progress

Quote:

Don't EVER mount 235 width tires on ANY rim with an offset of +48 or higher.
Where does it rub or mess up? Rear control arm?
K&N CAI
Eibach Sportlines
Homemade Grill
ES Shifter Brushings
Old 06/05/2007, 04:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
sludging it up

Vehicle: 01 passat 1.8turdbo
DaBigKid : who are you?DaBigKid : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to DaBigKid
ok i tried so hard to understand this but i must be stupid or something(sometimes you just have to admit it)

I'm shopping for wheels and tires for my 04 Strat R/T. I want 17's but a little bit wider width. So i'm guessing that 17" x 7.5" rims with 235/45-17 would work? Would that be considered "low profile"? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

edit: or maybe i can run the same setup as the red eclipse pictured above?

Last edited by DaBigKid; 06/05/2007 at 05:02 PM.
DaBigKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/06/2007, 06:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Work-In-Progress

Just make sure the offset is right. To be safe, it would be better to get 225/45/17 tires. (I have 235/45/17s and I rub a little here and there.)
K&N CAI
Eibach Sportlines
Homemade Grill
ES Shifter Brushings
Old 06/15/2007, 07:35 PM   #33 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 gts
silvercobra03 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to silvercobra03
I want to purchase this wheel it's an 18 x 8.5, 5 x 114.3, 38mm offset. If I put on a 225/40-18 or 235/40-18 with the car lowered using Eibach prokit would I have any problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel and Tire Sizing and Fitment Guide-black-18.jpg  

03 KB cobra sold
01 chipped audi s4 sold
94 turbo civic sold

When I finish school the fun will start again:)
silvercobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/15/2007, 08:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

Ok I had more free time so I used the SEARCH button and discovered that I can put a 235/40/18 tire with a prokit drop and be ok but what about the wheel and tire sizes? I mean the wheel is an 18 x 8.5, 38mm offset so if I go with the 235 tire will I be ok?

03 KB cobra sold
01 chipped audi s4 sold
94 turbo civic sold

Old 06/16/2007, 03:51 PM   #35 (permalink)

Never mind I am just going to pm phil

03 KB cobra sold
01 chipped audi s4 sold
94 turbo civic sold

Old 07/14/2007, 05:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
MINI by proxy

Vehicle: 2007 MINI Cooper S
00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all00TampaBlueGS seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercobra03 View Post
Never mind I am just going to pm phil
Phil is exceedingly helpful when he's active, but he kind of comes and goes. As of right now, he hasn't logged on in over a month.

Your +35 offset should negate any clearance problems with a 235 width tire. It should fit fine, I'd imagine. It will stick further out of the wheel well than stock. The only thing I'd be concerned about is steering dynamics. It may rub the fender/wheel well while turning (or hitting bumps), since the whole tire will be mounted a bit further out.

My ambitious "Eclipsed(EVO)" plans for my GS:
PHASE 1 -DOHC research__(n00bish fumblings)
First documented AWD 3G_(local inspiration)
messing w/ Evo 8 gear____(turbo options)

See where I'm going with this? ...right back into debt.

Last edited by 00TampaBlueGS; 07/15/2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clearer language
00TampaBlueGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/15/2007, 10:56 AM   #37 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT Fed
Outlawtm2 : who are you?
I was looking at getting some 235/45/17 for my next set of tires. I have the GT rims (17x6.5) and I know that it isn't recommended that I run this size on rims that narrow. What I am trying to find out is if anyone has done this and if so how it worked out. I have put 225/70/14 on 14x6 rims (narrower than recommended) and my friend is running 245/45/16 on his stock 92 SHO with the stock 16x6.5 rims (much narrower than recommended). I'm not asking if its smart, safe, stupid; just if anyone has had an experience with doing this (or trying it). BTW, I have already searched but couldn't find anything that relates to these tires on the STOCK rims (besides that its not recommmended). Any input is appreciated.
Outlawtm2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/15/2007, 12:18 PM   #38 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse RS
bad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okay
i've run 225 on a 6" wheel. i don't see why 235 won't work on a 6.5.
Old 07/24/2007, 07:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
2k1 Spyder GT

Vehicle: 2k1 Eclipse
Maxpow99 needs to be reminded to breathe.
Where the fuck do I get spacers?
Old 08/08/2007, 10:57 AM   #40 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipes gts
travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?
Trying to see if this wheel work on a 3g, and im going to lower it therefore trying to make sure before i buy it that it want rub? I searched the forum, but im confused because it seems like at some point its saying yes it would fit with that offset then some parts are making me second guess myself could anyone help me with this?????

Tire: 225/40 or 235/40
Size: 18x9
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Offset: 38
travion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/08/2007, 11:43 AM   #41 (permalink)

bad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okaybad mojo seems to be okay
why would you want to stretch a 235 or, even worse, a 225 on a 9" wheel?

the wheel won't fit...,unless you just like having about an inch of wheel/tire sticking out past you front fenders and almost certain rubbing when you turn.
Old 08/08/2007, 11:49 AM   #42 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipes gts
travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?
i kinda just wanted an 2 inch lip or the biggest lip i could have since its not a rear wheel drive car but its not a big deal i can go with 18x8 or 19x8.5. i was just curious. the 18x8 has about 1.5 inch i think?
travion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/08/2007, 11:02 AM   #43 (permalink)

MrSpyder : who are you?
I have a set of 19s in mind 8" wide with 245/35ZRs. Currently I have 225/50/17s so the outer diameter will be nearly identical. I'm just worried if they will be too wide and rub on the suspention arm. Unfortunately I don't have their offset, but the wheels don't have a lip. If they do fit, would there be any room for a small drop?

Thanks.
MrSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/08/2007, 11:30 AM   #44 (permalink)

8" isn't too wide (even with 245s) as long as you have the correct offset.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:19 PM   #45 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2009 Subaru WRX
Jambolito : who are you?Jambolito : who are you?Jambolito : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to Jambolito
alright...Ive had 225/40/18s on my car for like....9 months i guess, its a 40 offset if i remember correctly.

I got new tires a few days ago. I rub on the black on with my drivers side front tire....wtf? I used to have sumitomo's, now i have kumhos... I didnt think any 225/40/18 would rub? ....i guess i have to sand it off, dremel it off....beat it in?

discuss?
Jambolito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/24/2007, 07:41 PM   #46 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2009 Subaru WRX
Jambolito : who are you?Jambolito : who are you?Jambolito : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to Jambolito
well....no one replied, but i think i found the problem. my alignment is waaay off. the front left tire is a few inches further forward then the front right.

so now an alignment is just another thing i have to add to my "cost-too-much dont-have-the-money to-do list"
Jambolito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/15/2008, 05:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
DLT

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GT
DLT : who are you?DLT : who are you?DLT : who are you?
Send a message via MSN to DLT
Quote:
18" Tires

215/45-18 ; Rim Width Range = 7.0" - 8.0"
225/40-18 ; Rim Width Range = 7.5" - 9.0"
235/40-18 ; Rim Width Range = 8.0" - 9.5" (I did run these on 18x7.5"s without problems)
I`m saving up for rims and hopefully will buy something in the spring, however, I don`t really have that much knowledge about the rim and tire sizes.

So "Rim Width Range = 8.0" - 9.5" that means if I put a rim that is 8 to 9.5 " wide and fit them with 235 I`m going to be fine, no rubbing or anything like that ? Cause the thing is, I was thinking about putting wider rims in the back and slightly smaller ones on the front.

So let`s say if I`m going to get a set like this.

Rear: Rim width: 9" and 235/40-18 ; 245 in the rear would be a no, right ?
Front: Rim width: 8" and 235/40-18

My 3G should be rolling fine, right ?

Last edited by DLT; 01/15/2008 at 05:23 PM.
DLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/15/2008, 06:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT View Post
I`m saving up for rims and hopefully will buy something in the spring, however, I don`t really have that much knowledge about the rim and tire sizes.

So "Rim Width Range = 8.0" - 9.5" that means if I put a rim that is 8 to 9.5 " wide and fit them with 235 I`m going to be fine, no rubbing or anything like that ? Cause the thing is, I was thinking about putting wider rims in the back and slightly smaller ones on the front.

So let`s say if I`m going to get a set like this.

Rear: Rim width: 9" and 235/40-18 ; 245 in the rear would be a no, right ?
Front: Rim width: 8" and 235/40-18

My 3G should be rolling fine, right ?
Nope, you wouldn't be rolling fine. The purpose of the rim width range example is to show everyone the minimum rim width that they'd need in order to use differing size tires that would work on the 3G, hense why you only see 11 different tire sizes (3 different sizes in 18").

Quote:
Recommended Tire Sizes
15" - 195/65-15 (Stock RS size)
16" - 205/55-16 (Stock GS size) ; 225/50-16
17" - 215/50-17 (Stock GT size) ; 225/45-17 ; 235/45-17
18" - 215/45-18 ; 225/40-18 ; 235/40-18
19" - 225/35-19 ; 235/35-19
Stick to the above mentioned sizes.
Old 02/08/2008, 10:57 AM   #49 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 sherwood green GS
GSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends hereGSKNIGHT has a few friends here
http://www.rims-n-tires.com/info_spe...20/%20Comparer

^ This is a great wheel and tire calculator. It gives you visual comparisons of what wheel/tire combo you want vs. what you have now, and how different offsets will effect clearance.

Edit: I just realized its the same one that Clipse3GT posted Cool none the less.

Last edited by GSKNIGHT; 02/08/2008 at 10:59 AM.
GSKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/03/2008, 11:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Hello :)

Vehicle: 08 Evo X /00 GS track car
Clipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Clipse3GS
Ok here is a quick question for you. I am buying wheels this week and since it might be getting nice outside in the next 2-3 weeks I need to know If I can put 235/45/17 on my wheels. They are 17x7 48+ offset. i read above that you should not install this width with lowered cars because of rubbing. I also heard that some people have those and they are fine as to the clearance. Could anyone help me out before putting on new tires
Old 03/04/2008, 06:33 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse3GS View Post
Ok here is a quick question for you. I am buying wheels this week and since it might be getting nice outside in the next 2-3 weeks I need to know If I can put 235/45/17 on my wheels. They are 17x7 48+ offset. i read above that you should not install this width with lowered cars because of rubbing. I also heard that some people have those and they are fine as to the clearance. Could anyone help me out before putting on new tires
remove the black boxes and you will be fine.
bad mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/13/2008, 06:36 PM   #52 (permalink)

Slick135 : who are you?
Just wanted to check with you guys before I bought new rims from a friend. I have a 2001 GT with no suspension changes or anything. Was looking at:

Tires: 235/35 19"
Rims: 19x8" +35 offset

I'm pretty sure about everything except the offset since 235/35 and 19x8 are listed as compatible above. So anyone know if that offset will work? Also, I'm pretty sure I have the stock premium rims, so will this offset make my tires stick out more or come in more? Thanks
Slick135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/13/2008, 09:53 PM   #53 (permalink)

stick out more.

3mm more than evo wheels.
Old 03/15/2008, 10:52 AM   #54 (permalink)

Slick135 : who are you?
Alrighty cool, thats not too bad seeing as how I'm pretty sure my wheels look like they could come out a little more in order to be flush with the body. But does anyone know if there will be any rubbing problems with coming out further?

Thanks
Slick135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/19/2008, 11:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
U.S. Secret Service

Vehicle: Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Smallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wideSmallville is recognized club-wide
Send a message via AIM to Smallville
so 225/45/ZR17's will work on the GTS rims correct?

what is the lowest profile and widest tire size i can fit on GTS rims?
i searched and came up with nothing
sso before i order my 225/45/17's from tire rack i wanna see if i can order maybe lower profile and wider then that... if not then i will stick with these.
Smallville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/20/2008, 12:39 AM   #56 (permalink)
Hello :)

Vehicle: 08 Evo X /00 GS track car
Clipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Clipse3GS
For thosw who wonder what is the max you can go with aftermarket suspension here it is. I have Koni's (front) and Tokico Illumina (rear) with Eibach Pro-Kit and rear camber kit on my 00 GS and I am running 17x7 offset 48 wrapped around in 235/45/17 Pirreli P6's. Right after I did the install I checked the clereance and I am right there on the Lmit. I do have a little rub up front but that is caused by lose wheel cover.
Old 03/23/2008, 12:56 AM   #57 (permalink)
Ph.D > me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
so 225/45/ZR17's will work on the GTS rims correct?

what is the lowest profile and widest tire size i can fit on GTS rims?
i searched and came up with nothing
sso before i order my 225/45/17's from tire rack i wanna see if i can order maybe lower profile and wider then that... if not then i will stick with these.
According to tire manufacturers, 225/45-17"s need at least a 7" wide wheel but I've seen a lot of members put them on their 6.5" wide stock wheels without any problems. If you want to go wider than 225 with an aspect ratio lower than 45, you'll have to get 8" wide wheels with an offset no higher than +40.
Old 03/28/2008, 04:58 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse3GS View Post
For thosw who wonder what is the max you can go with aftermarket suspension here it is. I have Koni's (front) and Tokico Illumina (rear) with Eibach Pro-Kit and rear camber kit on my 00 GS and I am running 17x7 offset 48 wrapped around in 235/45/17 Pirreli P6's. Right after I did the install I checked the clereance and I am right there on the Lmit. I do have a little rub up front but that is caused by lose wheel cover.
what do you mean by max?

i've tested tire/wheel setups that are a heck of a lot closer than what you have. most recently being 17x8.5 +46 with 265/40/17.

granted, i test on stock suspension. but the prokit drop is so conservative, the difference should be negligible.
Old 06/16/2008, 06:56 PM   #59 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Gt Standard
Jsnc87 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Jsnc87
Alright guys quick question here!

I've done my searching and I'm still wondering if I can beef up my tires by just a little bit. Im currently running a set of 19x8 inch "Axis Mesh 2" on 225/35/19, I have forgotten my offset but if anyone knows your help is much appreciated! I have kyb agx and my car is on H&R springs 1.4 drop in the front and 1.3 in the rear. The question is can I put a 235/35/19 tire on w/o rubbing?!

Thanks for your help!
Jay

Last edited by Jsnc87; 06/16/2008 at 07:43 PM.
Jsnc87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/16/2008, 07:51 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnc87 View Post
Alright guys quick question here!

I've done my searching and I'm still wondering if I can beef up my tires by just a little bit. Im currently running a set of 19x8 inch "Axis Mesh 2" on 225/35/19, I have forgotten my offset but if anyone knows your help is much appreciated! I have kyb agx and my car is on H&R springs 1.4 drop in the front and 1.3 in the rear. The question is can I put a 235/35/19 tire on w/o rubbing?!

Thanks for your help!
Jay
what's the offset of your wheels?
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.