Spyder Water Drains? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/10/2007, 12:48 PM  
New Ride, New Ideas

Vehicle: 01 Eclipse Spyder GT
Mikolan : who are you?Mikolan : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikolan
Spyder Water Drains?

Been searching the forums, but haven't found anything.

I purchased my spyder a few months ago and given this is my first ragtop, I was told that with convertables, there is usually water drains located around the top, especially in the boxed area where the top retracts. With the heavy amounts of seeds that fall on my cars while parked outside during this time of year, I want to be clear on where the drains are to prevent them from getting clogged. This is a problem my neighbor is constantly having with his convertable miata. However, after spending some time looking, I can't seem to find any. I didn't get the manual with the car either so any help locating these, if they exist, would be much appreciated.
Mikolan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/10/2007, 12:59 PM  

Vehicle: 2003 Spyder GTS
Studmuffin : who are you?
I think you mean the slits in the rubber around the door? You should not have any problems with it being clogged or anything, I haven't in 4 years.

2003 Spyder GTS Sporty,
Injen CAI & Heat Shield
CDC Light Bar
Magnecor KV85's + Champion Iridium's
Powerslot CRYOS
SAFC II
Studmuffin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04/10/2007, 01:55 PM  

2Buku3G : who are you?
The only drains I am aware of are in the trunk under the spare tire. They are 2" wide rubber plugs that can be pushed out and popped back in incase your trunk gets water in it. I haven't had that problem in the 3 years I've had my Spyder and I get a lot of seeds and pine needles on my car (stays outside - no garage).
2Buku3G is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04/10/2007, 02:13 PM  
Just Married 05-15

Vehicle: Lancer Evolution X MR
LogicGate seems to be okayLogicGate seems to be okayLogicGate seems to be okayLogicGate seems to be okayLogicGate seems to be okayLogicGate seems to be okayLogicGate seems to be okay
Send a message via MSN to LogicGate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikolan View Post
Been searching the forums, but haven't found anything.

I purchased my spyder a few months ago and given this is my first ragtop, I was told that with convertables, there is usually water drains located around the top, especially in the boxed area where the top retracts. With the heavy amounts of seeds that fall on my cars while parked outside during this time of year, I want to be clear on where the drains are to prevent them from getting clogged. This is a problem my neighbor is constantly having with his convertable miata. However, after spending some time looking, I can't seem to find any. I didn't get the manual with the car either so any help locating these, if they exist, would be much appreciated.
The rubber has a channel in the inside and outside that allows the water for flow through. The arms have one screw on each of them to adjust how the arm columns close. Try adjusting the screws to close properly. Its the same for almost all convertible tops
LogicGate is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04/10/2007, 03:09 PM  
New Ride, New Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicGate View Post
The rubber has a channel in the inside and outside that allows the water for flow through. The arms have one screw on each of them to adjust how the arm columns close. Try adjusting the screws to close properly. Its the same for almost all convertible tops
Where does this channel run to? Or rather where is the exit point?

I'm not having any problems with it clogging right now, just wanting to prevent the possibility of it in the future. So nobody knows of any possible drains in the box at least where the roof retracts to? I mean, I may just be looking for a ghost but figured it'd at least be beneficial knowledge if it exists.
Old 04/10/2007, 03:27 PM  

2Buku3G : who are you?
There are NO drains in the convertible top's "cubby" area. I know as I have mounted electronics back in that cubby area before and there is no kind of plug or grommet to be found.
2Buku3G is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04/10/2007, 03:28 PM  
*insert funny title*

Vehicle: 2003 Audi A6 2.7t quattro
Jabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club exists
I have been through there pretty extensively on mine doing different stereo wiring, and there are no drains that I know of back there. Near as I can tell, this is what happens:

Under that aluminum trim piece where the rear of the top connects is watertight. So no water gets in that way. If the top is wet when it goes down, it never really squeezes water out of the material, so you don't have to worry about water in the trunk. The black piece of carpetting is easily removed which opens up the area where the top fits when down. Just pull the little black plugs out and you will see exactly what I mean.
Jabber is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04/10/2007, 03:43 PM  
New Ride, New Ideas

Awesome. Thanks for everyone's info. Definitly one less thing to worry about maintaining.
Old 04/19/2007, 09:30 PM  
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GuTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
Spyder Drains

The spyder, does in fact, have drains. Any water or debris running down the back and sides of the top, runs down around the side and drains down into the body under the rear windows.

Look under the car and you will see a hole in the seam of the body.

If you don't believe me, just run the hose down the back of the top and watch the drain under the car.
rc_maniac is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02/19/2019, 12:36 PM  

OctoberLibra : who are you?
2001 Drains

THANK YOU!! This is exactly what I have been trying to find! But...I have water coming into the car through my front door speakers. Is there another drain near the front of the door? Or do I need to worry about the entire inside of the door having been exposed to water? Thanks!!
OctoberLibra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in