3.8 MIVEC Avenger - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/15/2010, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Vehicle: 2005 SRT-10
skyy406 : who are you?skyy406 : who are you?skyy406 : who are you?
3.8 Avenger

hey everyone!

I have been posting a bunch on thegalantcenter and club4g and they recommended that I post up my build on here to get some input.

I am currently in the middle of swapping in a 3.8 MIVEC motor and a543 5-speed transmission into my 1998 Avenger.

I am going to be running Megasquirt II and Ford EDIS. I know a few members on here have successfully ran both those systems and had great results.

I have tried to search for more descriptive information "how-to" write-ups or advice but haven't found much.

Would those members that have MSII and EDIS please post your thoughts and ideas? I am new to tuning a car and frankly it seems a bit overwhelming!

Thanks guys!

Pete

Last edited by skyy406; 05/23/2010 at 10:58 PM.
skyy406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/15/2010, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
REDLINE ALL GEARS

Vehicle: 2002 GT-T
thahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by all
Why run ms2 with edis. You can run diypnp it would be a easier install
thahnic1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/15/2010, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: '03 6G75T, '98GSX, EVO IX
finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via Yahoo to finesse49ers
Your build sounds good. I did a quick search and found this: Running! Megasquirt and EDIS. Hope it helps you.

This is what I'm about:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Whens the car going to be finished with the turbo and everything on it

Quote:
Kevin: It'll be done when I'm done with it... ;)
finesse49ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05/15/2010, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse49ers View Post
Your build sounds good. I did a quick search and found this: Running! Megasquirt and EDIS. Hope it helps you.
I already read that entire thread. There isn't much information in there. In the beginning 6g72duster was saying that he may do a write-up but I couldn't find one.
Old 05/15/2010, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

Vehicle: 2g stratus 2g eclipse
PharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to PharmEcis
Figure it out... It's not that hard.

2007 NASA TTR National Champions!
2008 Redline Time Attack Summit Point Unlimited FWD 3rd Place!

FIRST PNP AEM EMS! FIRST 3.8L 6G75 MIVEC SWAP IN THE WORLD!

I sell custom turbo kits for the 3G.

I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter. Im just saying...
PharmEcis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/15/2010, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
Figure it out... It's not that hard.
Super Duper, thanks for the input
Old 05/15/2010, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
REDLINE ALL GEARS

thahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by all
Why don't you search on ms forums there's plenty of threads there too
Old 05/15/2010, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahnic1080 View Post
Why don't you search on ms forums there's plenty of threads there too
working on it
Old 05/15/2010, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Vroom Psshh

Vehicle: 03' Eclipse GS
jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.
Send a message via Yahoo to jstewart92
Hey, i would work on becoming friends with Pharm, he really knows his stuff, and his help would greatly help you... just as a forewarning.
jstewart92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/15/2010, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
REDLINE ALL GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy406 View Post
working on it
look up a member on the forums called shadowplane or something shadow. Thats the guy on this forum who did the MS install with EDIS.
Old 05/15/2010, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Silvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club exists
You're two weeks late for the best source on the forum... (cept for pharm). Still. Look up his built thread. Silverside, he has a mivec in his eclipse.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/16/2010, 09:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
You're two weeks late for the best source on the forum... (cept for pharm). Still. Look up his built thread. Silverside, he has a mivec in his eclipse.
Siverside used his factory ECU. I was working with him on club4g before he died.

Pharm doesn't seem interested in helping. I read his entire thread. Good stuff, but not what I need.
Old 05/18/2010, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wait!? thats a Mitsu

Vehicle: 2001 Sebring 6G75
MagnaVR4 : who are you?MagnaVR4 : who are you?MagnaVR4 : who are you?
Do you have any pics of this WIP? would love to see it

MagnaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/18/2010, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

PharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by all
Grab wiring diagrams and start decoding. That is what anyone else has had to do. Like I said, FIGURE IT OUT, IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

Old 05/18/2010, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
I don't own a 3G

Vehicle: '05 CTS-V
thePNO95 : who are you?thePNO95 : who are you?
Quote:
Grab wiring diagrams and start decoding. That is what anyone else has had to do. Like I said, FIGURE IT OUT, IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
Isn't the point of forums like this to share information so that you don't have to learn lessons that others have already learned?
thePNO95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/18/2010, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePNO95 View Post
Isn't the point of forums like this to share information so that you don't have to learn lessons that others have already learned?
Mmmmm, not really. I'll say if you want to take on a project with a high degree of difficulty then you should be willing to put the work in yourself and learn lessons or pay someone who has put the work in and learned lessons to do it. Only a FEW have done it and there's reasons for that: they had the know how, time and resources. Before taking on a project of this magnitude you should know if you are capable of doing this yourself. I believe the OP when he says it's a bit overwhelming and that's an understatement. I seen first hand the work PharmEcis put in with his engine bay all scattered, wires all over the place. If you want to run with the big boys you gotta get your hands dirty or you pay the pioneers who got their hands dirty.

This is what I'm about:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 05/18/2010, 11:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Vehicle: 2001 spyder gs
scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
the purpose is to share a common interest. a benefit is if you are documenting you work, or have problems people are there for you. it is not so that you can just ride someone else's coattails, and have them do all your research for you.

whatever you plan to do, you need to be able to do it all (research, planning, problem solving etc..) yourself. if all you can do is say "will this work" and you need everyone else to do all the rest of the figuring out, you shouldn't be doing it.

and why would club 3g be the place to get the best info? we don't have a 1998 avenger (they are close to 2g eclipses) and we don't have the mivec (that is a 4g thing). your build is skipping the generation we own. yes we (as a forum) know a lot, but you would get better help on club4g (they have your engine) and an avenger forum (they have your car).

like what finesse said: what you are doing is kind of a pioneer thing. only a few have even attempted it, and if you want to do the off the wall, more than most, pretty much first-ish stuff, you gotta do it yourself, then show off what you did. not get someone else to do the work while you take the glory.

you got questions? we got answers:

Quote:
If you want it done right, follow scarr's advice 100%.
scarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/18/2010, 11:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

Funny, I was thinking similar things while in the shop working and here we got others posting the same thing.

Bottom line is that there are two kinds of people on this forum. Those with the balls to man up and do something different and those that "ride coattails". Those who man up have one of two things in common and sometimes have both. Money and ability. You either use your own head to figure it out or you pay someone to do it for you. I don't figure everything out on my own. Sometimes I pay people to do it for me.

You want to put a megasquirt in an avenger running EDIS for wasted spark. OK, take your avenger wiring diagram. First adapt EVERYTHING other than ignition output to the megasquirt. Now focus on ignition. Look at the diagrams. Match up what you need to do. Figure out what kind of inputs do what. Analogue or digital inputs, voltage outputs, switched outputs...

You are asking for someone to basically regurgitate a lifetime of learning into one post so you can do a swap. If you are the first... Good luck. The first ALWAYS is a bitch. You are exploring unchartered territory.

The one guy I know running a MS w/ a 75 MIVEC ended up blowing some shit in his MS. Stop being cheap and get a real stand alone.

What's the adage? Fast Reliable Cheap. Pick two.

Old 05/18/2010, 03:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
I don't own a 3G

Vehicle: '05 CTS-V
thePNO95 : who are you?thePNO95 : who are you?
So I guess the 3350+ posts in the 6G74 swap thread, the 400+ posts in the 2000 ECU swap thread, and the 700+ posts in the 6G75 swap thread are all just guys saying, "My swap is complete, I did it all myself, and I didn't want anyone's help or advice with any aspect of the project at all. Just wanted to let you all know that."?

If PharmEcis doesn't want to share his trade secrets because he does this stuff for a living, that's perfectly understandable. But to think that everyone that modifies their cars is just supposed to figure it out on their own is silly. The very existence of this forum (let alone the thousands of other automotive forums) pretty clearly shows that there are plenty of people who don't hold the same opinion about the purpose of these sorts of forums. I've been browsing various automotive forums pretty much since they came into existence, and your comments do not reflect the spirit of any forum I've ever been on.

Not to mention that I don't think the OP was looking for a step-by-step guide on exactly how to do what he's planning, he just asked to hear "thoughts and ideas" from those who have been down the same path. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but it seems to me that there's a difference between those two.

Last edited by thePNO95; 05/18/2010 at 03:28 PM.
thePNO95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/18/2010, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
well, then perhaps i misunderstood what he was asking for.
he came across as saying: "i wast to put a mivec 3.8l into my 1998 avenger, and run mesgsquirt and a ford edis, but i can't find how to. can someone tell me how to do this?"

OP, what are you looking for?

Quote:
Old 05/18/2010, 03:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePNO95 View Post
So I guess the 3350+ posts in the 6G74 swap thread, the 400+ posts in the 2000 ECU swap thread, and the 700+ posts in the 6G75 swap thread are all just guys saying, "My swap is complete, I did it all myself, and I didn't want anyone's help or advice with any aspect of the project at all. Just wanted to let you all know that."?

If PharmEcis doesn't want to share his trade secrets because he does this stuff for a living, that's perfectly understandable. But to think that everyone that modifies their cars is just supposed to figure it out on their own is silly. The very existence of this forum (let alone the thousands of other automotive forums) pretty clearly shows that there are plenty of people who don't hold the same opinion about the purpose of these sorts of forums. I've been browsing various automotive forums pretty much since they came into existence, and your comments do not reflect the spirit of any forum I've ever been on.

Not to mention that I don't think the OP was looking for a step-by-step guide on exactly how to do what he's planning, he just asked to hear "thoughts and ideas" from those who have been down the same path. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but it seems to me that there's a difference between those two.
Go back to the beginning of the 6G74 swap thread and you'll see that the OP started the thread with the swap done and he pretty much said (this is your quote): "My swap is complete, I did it all myself, and I didn't want anyone's help or advice with any aspect of the project at all. Just wanted to let you all know that." Then in the following posts members brought to his attention that it could be done differently and that in fact it was done before.

The OP asked for descriptive how-to write-ups. That's pretty much just copying someone elses work to the T. He also stated he's new to tuning. I tried to help him out by giving him a link but he already explored that. The OP isn't doing your basic swap either. He wants to attempt to do something only a few have done. Something that he has found out is very overwhelming. From reading PharmEcis' build thread he could of found that out before going down the path he went, shoot I could of told him that. Tuning is a major part of this swap and he knew he wasn't good at it from the beginning.

You are giving the OP too much credit. He might have bit off more than he could chew. I certainly hope not. I want to see more 6G75 swaps but people have to do their research and know their limitations before you start a major project. Like PharmEcis said "the first ALWAYS is a bitch". I don't recall Pharm asking anyone here to get his swap done. He just came out of the blue and posted a pic of the 6G75 sitting in his engine bay.

This is what I'm about:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 05/18/2010, 03:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr View Post
well, then perhaps i misunderstood what he was asking for.
he came across as saying: "i wast to put a mivec 3.8l into my 1998 avenger, and run mesgsquirt and a ford edis, but i can't find how to. can someone tell me how to do this?"

OP, what are you looking for?
No, you didn't misunderstand at all. He says he's in the middle of the swap so in all actuality we don't even know if the 6G75 is actually in the engine bay yet.

This is what I'm about:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 05/23/2010, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Jesus christ guys! I asked for advice! I didn't ask for anyone to take my hand and do it for me. I want to learn how to do these things and do them well. I know I am going to hit walls and be completely dumbfounded with certain electrical areas of this swap and all I was looking for was - When you get "here" don't do "this" does that make sense?

You guys are taking my questions way to seriously and to personally, like I am attacking your ability to do it on your own and then flaunt your egos. I am the type of person to leap before looking and get my hands dirty and try new things. Of course anyone cannot do anything without first massive amounts of research. I was merely asking to be pointed in the right directions. When i get to the electricals I will have to do the same thing pharm did and dive into a wiring mess- i'm not afraid of that. I didn't bite of more than I could chew either- I don't have a time limit on this project- I am agree with "you have to pay to play" which is why I have already spent 4k and am willing to spend another 6k -which should be more than enough- I bought a Mig-welder to teach myself how to weld too. This is a learning process for me.

I chose Megasquirt because it is a reliable system and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I am not looking have the fastest or best Avenger ever made I am also on aseclub.net galantuners, club4g and turbododge forums. This is the ONLY forum that has met my queries with HOSTILITY. The reason I asked HERE is because I am planning on running the STOCK ECU in paralell with the Megasquirt and that will be the hardest part of the electrical and wiring setup- seeing as how the 3g Eclipse ECU is MOST SIMILAR with my Jet ECU- I thought I could learn a thing or two from someone who might also be running Megasquirt on their Eclipse or Stratus or whatever.

Tonight I am dropping in the 3.8L and 5-speed so that I can make my tranny mounts.

Aluminum bung for IAT Sensor

12 Foot Megasquirt Wiring Harness

Pre- Assembled Stimulator Board

MegaSquirt-II Programmable EFI System PCB3.57

DB9 6' Male/Female Straight thru cable for tuning and testing my MegaSquirt ECU

GM Open Element IAT Sensor with Pigtail

Innovate Standalone Gauge Kit w LC-1 & blue DB Digital Gauge

Removed the Radiator and Fans

Top of engine mostly Dismantled

This is why you replace your Timing Belt every 75k or 5 years

Rear header clearance (3.0)

Heads off

Where I cut the duals off. Notice how close the pipes are when the exhaust is on the car. I then bolted the headers and the downpipes to the 3.8 and lined them up. They are way off. Seems that the 3.8L has a different pattern for the exhaust to go. Unfortunately, I am most likely going to have to hack up my rear header and build one. I will take up the mocked up rear header to a local shop and have them make me a 1 off rear long tube header I'll probably have them do the front too once its running.

2.5L Crank pulley- I don't think it's supposed to look like that... And also timing cover is all torn up.

The 2.5L alternator and Power steering tensioner bolts right up. I will have to modify the bracket for the alternator

Pulling motor

Engine out

5-speed transmission from a 1994 Dodge Shadow

The stock Avenger engine mount bolts right up! Thank God, that would have been a major pain in the ass. I can bolt up the stock 2.5L A/C bracket to the 3.8 No problem, just needs about an inch worth of spacing away from the block. Super easy!

Picked up a new angle grinder today

I tore down the 3.0 today too. All kinds of metal bits and crap in the oil pan

Here are 2 great pics of the damage to the piston. Hole smashed clean through the piston.

Made some spacers with my new Angle Grinder!

Test fitting I have to slide them up a bit

Look how nicely everything lines up now!

About 2mm of space between the A/C bracket and the Oil filter housing.

Found a crack in my a543, going to have it welded :cry:

Installed my new shifter!

On the left is a spare bracket i had- untouched

The top one was modified. I merely enlarged the hole slightly.

I had to elongate the hole a lot to get it to line up properly.

The bottom one was modified. I had to grind off about 1/4 inch of material and also angle it to line up with the head.

Notice a washer.

I could have probably not ground the bracket so much but it was difficult to get the bolt to line up properly with the head and also have the washers sit flush against the bracket and the head. Either way- its strong and fits great!

Alternator, tensioner and crank pulley line up!!! Yay!

A604 and A543 side by side.

An empty engine bay

Removed brake pedal assembly.

That hole is where I had my power wire running through the fire-wall. You can see the 3 indentations in the panel. THat is where the factory would have punched out the metal for the master cylinder. Aggravatingly, it is impossible to install the clutch pedal assembly without a hole for the bolt to go through. So I looked at those indents and proceeded to take my drill and dremel to them.

Unfortunately, once I had the holes all punched out I installed the clutch pedal assembly. To my surprise those indents are about 1/2" off. So I had to drill more metal out- which was a pain.

Clutch Master cylinder in!

Resivour in too! I'll

Console back in- just waiting on the shift boot.

Now that, is a beautiful thing

MIVEC Heads Came in- $225 for the pair. Thursday I am sending them out to hobbes performance to have the heads - lower intake and plenum ported and polished. Fidanza cam gears are on the way- 5 angle valve job- i have to decide though if I want to get some delta cams now or later. I don't know yet. I think I'll probably replace the entire valve train with new OEM equipment for the time being and when I supercharge the car and pull everything out again- re-do the head work.

Valve covers are amazingly clean.

Cam Sensor cover- is severely damaged. The Box they came in was torn to shreds and very poorly handled. They weigh over 80 pounds together and it is likely that someone dropped them during shipping. Also, they are missing the cam gears and who knows what else. I am going to have to buy an Eclipse manual so I can see exactly what parts are missing for the MIVEC actuation.

All sorts of scratches and damage. Who the fuck pried these off with a damn bear claw?

Notice how poorly the aluminum is cast here. In many of the water or oil journals- there is bits of metal left over.

Two bent valves in the rear head.

The heads sure are more complex than my 3.0 ones.

My exhaust flange for the rear header i'm making came today!

Also my Front Long Tube header came. Rippmods makes good stuff.

Look at the difference!

The ports on the long-tube header are much bigger too. Really a good free flowing design. Oddly enough you can see how clean my XIRacing header looks (bottom) I guess I had a better gasket than they did or it was sealed better.

Last edited by skyy406; 05/23/2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05/23/2010, 02:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

Did they tell you the heads were messed up? I'd definitely try to get some money back. That sucks.

Old 05/23/2010, 02:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
Did they tell you the heads were messed up? I'd definitely try to get some money back. That sucks.
Yup I knew this. For the money I couldn't pass them up. I'm having them completely resurfaced and repaired by Dennis at Hobbs Performance
Old 05/23/2010, 06:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
EZT
FearIsTheMindKiller

Vehicle: 2009 370z
EZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to EZT
Wow looks like your project is coming along. Hopefully you can get help for the electrical stuff.

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted"
EZT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/23/2010, 08:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Your balls, my mouth
Cocknozzle

Vehicle: Dodge Stratus RT
lethalphoenix Is 100% Moron!lethalphoenix Is 100% Moron!lethalphoenix Is 100% Moron!lethalphoenix Is 100% Moron!
I love this project log, keep it up.
lethalphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/23/2010, 11:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Did a little work today

There are 2 bolts on the rear of the oil pan that stick out a bit. The tranny would hit the left one- so I had to shave off some of the hole.

and shaved

I'll have to shave off that "ear" off the oil pan too so that the tranny---> engine bracket will fit

Front "ear"

Wierdly the 3.0 has 2 bolt holes for the bracket

But the 3.8L does not- the other one was like not finished or something. I suppose I could weld on a bunch of metal and then tap it for a bolt. Do I really need to? Is one bolt enough?

The starter fits just fine- without the bracket in. And the headers don't come any where near the starter which is nice. I have to grind down the bracket that sits behind the starter though. I worked on it for about 30 minutes but didn't get it finished. I prefered not to grind down the starter it self. It'll fit flush and perfect once i'm done.

3.8L and a543 bolted together.

Hopefully I can get all the brackets done wednesday night and then drop the engine in on thursday to make the tranny mounts
Old 05/24/2010, 12:00 AM   #29 (permalink)

Silvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club exists
This is impressive. I've never seen such skills from someone new to the forum. I lost the nerves in my left thumb to an avenger.
Old 05/24/2010, 12:19 AM   #30 (permalink)
JVP
JVP

Vehicle: 2004 stratus r/t
JVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to JVP
Looking good so far man. Keep it up.
JVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/24/2010, 01:44 AM   #31 (permalink)

Vehicle: 13' SBGT Touring
EclipseGT2K2 : who are you?EclipseGT2K2 : who are you?EclipseGT2K2 : who are you?EclipseGT2K2 : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGT2K2
looks good
Old 05/24/2010, 09:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
RIP Silverside

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium
dlm04RT : who are you?dlm04RT : who are you?
I'd love to be able to offer some information, but unfortunately, I've been studying the EcuFlash/Big-Maps project and have no experience with the hardware you're using. I also haven't worked with the 3.8 MIVEC engines, so I'm no help there, either. That's quite an ambitious undertaking and I hope it works out well for you.

I was looking at buying an Avenger about 6-8 years ago and wished they'd had a V6 manual transmission option. I'd had a V6 5 speed Shadow that seemed pretty quick to me at the time. I could chirp 3rd gear pretty often, even with bad synchros. It would break the tires loose at almost any point in 1st and sometimes even in second. I'd love to see what one them was like with the newer 3.0's or 3.5's.

Good luck - I'll be following your progress.
dlm04RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/24/2010, 09:53 AM   #33 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

So looks like you are dropping MIVEC for now eh?

Old 05/24/2010, 10:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
So looks like you are dropping MIVEC for now eh?
Yeah Pharm, for at least a little while. I bought those MIVEC heads because they were very cheap- and the more i was thinking about it- there HAD to be more components involved than just the heads- which as you know there are.

I will still do the MIVEC head swap, but probably in a few months after the engine is running solid- I become fluent with Megasquirt and after I've had some time to have fun with the car.

In any case- this has been a really fun swap for me so far- and I can't wait to get her running. I've been working on the car for about 4 weeks now and I am making great progress. My goal is to be drivable by July 4th. I think that's doable.
Old 05/24/2010, 11:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
REDLINE ALL GEARS

suggestions for your MS set up. I would get a relay board also i didnt see any EDIS parts in your set up. If your still going that way i would weld EDIS wheel to the crank pulley while the engine is out of the car. In my opinion i would just do a COP ignition set up.
Old 05/24/2010, 11:17 AM   #36 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahnic1080 View Post
suggestions for your MS set up. I would get a relay board also i didnt see any EDIS parts in your set up. If your still going that way i would weld EDIS wheel to the crank pulley while the engine is out of the car. In my opinion i would just do a COP ignition set up.
Yeah that's what I am doing. I bought a kit from boost engineering. I didn't feel like wrenching some ford taurus in a scrap yard.

After the tranny mounts are done, i am having the trans rebuilt- then i'll have the pulley welded to the trigger wheel I have. It is a COP ignition. I do have a relay board also.
Old 05/27/2010, 09:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Update today.

Let me just say. The engine hoist stabilizer is an absolute must have. I was able to tilt the engine/transmission to perfection. Literally was able to drop the motor in, in about 4 minutes once it was in the air.

Amazing useful tool. I have to buy a transmission jack as I need to be able to rotate the engine slightly and also tilt it down slightly. Did a pretty good job though centering it with some blocks of wood though for now until I pick one up.

I am amazed how much smaller the a543 really is in the engine bay. Looks great in there like it was made for this engine bay. Much more so than the a604.

Next step is making the mounts.

I have a pretty good idea where to make 2 of the mounts for the transmission using existing threaded holes. Except the front transmission mount. The a604 has some tapped holes right in the side of the bell housing and lots of extra aluminum to support weight. The a543 does not. I am a little worried what to do for this mount. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

a604

a543

Look at this pic. Where is it red is where the bolt holes should be. There looks to be a weak point in my opinion with that "hole" or gap between the outer bell housing and inner bell housing. I sure do wish someone with an a543 already in their car would take some pics for me of that front mount

Here's my idea for the rear mount. Basically I will be using the stock transmission mount and bolting or welding a metal extension to the bracket. I will unbolt 2 large bolts from the transmission (looks like differential cover) and then sandwich the metal bracket between longer bolts. I'm using 1/2" thick solid steel for the bracket. Should be overly strong enough. It will be shaped like a 7 of sorts.

Before:

After:

The front mount also seems to be an easy mount.

There are 2 threaded holes right on top of the transmission- right below where the main transmission mount is located at:

And many hours of diligent searching I found the mount made by DMS right here on ASEC. Exactly what I was going to do anyway. Weld a bracket to an existing mount that I got from an Eclipse.

This bracket that goes from the engine to the transmission sure has been a PITA. I can't seem to get the starter to really sit flush against the a543. Nearly flush but not perfect. I know all I have to do is grind more metal off, its just time consuming- this metal is very hard.

Also. Would someone be a chum and take a quick measurement for me? I would like to know the distance from the head to the support. I am curious to see what the difference is.

Old 05/27/2010, 11:08 PM   #38 (permalink)

I always keep a tape on hand. 9" is your measurement.
Old 05/28/2010, 11:29 AM   #39 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
I always keep a tape on hand. 9" is your measurement.
hey thanks much !
Old 05/28/2010, 05:02 PM   #40 (permalink)

Glad to help, especially with a good build.
Old 06/11/2010, 09:33 AM   #41 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Well after a lot of planning a ton of thinking. I have decided to utilize the factory mount on the passenger side and I made a Bracket that will be bolted to the Mount and then bolted to the transmission.

I decided that I wanted to use as much factory equipment as possible from here on out. I want to try and limit the amount of custom parts needed that I couldn't make myself. And being that my welder cannot weld aluminum that thick- I didn't really have many options. I bought hardened studs that will be inserted into bolt holes that I will drill out tomorrow or Sunday for the mount. I also have a very clever Idea for the rear mount.

After looking over pictures of the 5-speed turbo venge (DMS did not use a bobble-strut) I can duplicate their mount but make it much more simple. After the main transmission mount is done- i'll work on the rear mount.

Also I have yet to gusset the mount which I will do also.

Here's the factory mount:

Here's the bracket. It's made out of 1/4" solid steel. I still have to trim it a bit- and also drill all the holes. But I wanted you all to see what I am up to.

Here it is just laying there so you can get an idea of what I am doing with it.

I also encountered a problem. First off I couldn't fit 1/4" steel between the tranny mount and the transmission without modifying the transmission. So I decided to create the space. I made a 1/4" spacer on the passenger's side main engine mount which lowered the entire engine 1/4"- fit's much better now.

Welding by the way... is A LOT OF FUN!!!
Old 06/11/2010, 10:17 AM   #42 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

I just realized something based on the pics above. Muahahahahahaha I think my life just got easier. Time will tell.

Old 06/11/2010, 12:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
I just realized something based on the pics above. Muahahahahahaha I think my life just got easier. Time will tell.
Do tell do tell!!

Last edited by skyy406; 06/11/2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06/11/2010, 02:41 PM   #44 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

Now what fun would that be? I'm not even sure if what I saw will actually help me... I guess we'll find out!

Old 06/11/2010, 08:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
RIP Silverside

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium
dlm04RT : who are you?dlm04RT : who are you?
Greg, can you be any more cryptic and secretive? Does it have anything to do with mounting the Evo transmission in Charles' car?

Skyy406, I don't know if I said it before, but that's one unique project. I used to have a Chrysler Sebring and I thought that engine bay was cramped. I can't imagine what's it's like stuffing the 3.8 and a 5 speed in there. The car should be pretty snappy once the work is done. Have fun!
dlm04RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/11/2010, 11:51 PM   #46 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm04RT View Post
Greg, can you be any more cryptic and secretive? Does it have anything to do with mounting the Evo transmission in Charles' car?

Skyy406, I don't know if I said it before, but that's one unique project. I used to have a Chrysler Sebring and I thought that engine bay was cramped. I can't imagine what's it's like stuffing the 3.8 and a 5 speed in there. The car should be pretty snappy once the work is done. Have fun!
Actually the 3.8L is not much larger than the 3.0 I had in there before. Maybe 0.5" taller and wider. The bellhousing shape is identical for anything that bolts to a 6g72/73/74/75 so that made things easy in one respect. The a543 5-speed is TINY compared to the a604 4-speed auto and at least 100lbs lighter. I agree this car should be snappy. I really hope it can get into the 13's.
Old 06/12/2010, 04:54 AM   #47 (permalink)
Shut up.

Vehicle: 2007 Infiniti G35X
wright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends here
Send a message via MSN to wright06jhs
Its seems like your getting a lot done. I hope you do clean that engine bay up good before its mounted in there.

wright06jhs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/12/2010, 12:10 PM   #48 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

Quote:
Greg, can you be any more cryptic and secretive?
Yes, I could have. I could have said nothing.

Old 06/13/2010, 12:33 AM   #49 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Quote:
I haven't heard anything yet. If it does I'd know about it first though.

This is what I'm about:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06/13/2010, 09:45 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse49ers View Post
I haven't heard anything yet. If it does I'd know about it first though.
And then you'll tell the world right?

13 seconds should be a snap with bolt ons and a tune in that light car.
Old 06/13/2010, 12:17 PM   #51 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Quote:
And then you'll tell the world right?
It depends on the subject matter. If it has anything to do with the subframe, which at this point is the only major thing left to do, then probably not. It's a matter of national security.

This is what I'm about:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06/13/2010, 02:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Boobs!? WHERE!?!

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse 3.5L GT
Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?
God-Damn Sky! You brought all of the heavy hitters out of the woodworks to tell you whats up huh? I'm very impressed. Pharm, Scarr, Finesse... not bad.

6G72/74 Engine Swap
ECU Reflash/Tune (Courtesy of TX4Codeman)
AEM V2 CAI
RPW Long Tube Headers
KYB AGX Shocks
Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
EBC Slotted Rotors
Stoptech SS Brake Lines
F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch
F1 Racing Lightened Flywheel
Ingalls Stiffy Engine Damper
Solar Klipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/13/2010, 03:15 PM   #53 (permalink)

Vehicle: 97 sebring convertible
white97bring needs to be reminded to breathe.
ill stick to private messages from now on

Last edited by white97bring; 06/13/2010 at 07:18 PM.
white97bring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/13/2010, 04:43 PM   #54 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by white97bring View Post
I have an E-manage waiting to be installed. Any help will be appreciated. To all those who wish to flame me for posting (which has been the case just about everytime I do post) I say this: SUCK IT!
Since when did this site become ASOG? No one to discuss this with on your own sites?

If you want me to be a douche, technically this thread shouldn't even be in this forum. It should be under "Other Cars". What is the title of this sub forum?

3G ECLIPSE GT/GTS SPECIFIC

What pray tell is specific about a project to an avenger being posted in a sub forum dedicated to something else?

You guys come over here, talk shit about certain individuals yet want us to spoon feed you information. Seriously... Go eat a fucking dick. I've got no problem w/ sharing information with people but don't catch an attitude if you have nothing to bring to the table. Who the fuck are you anyways?

Old 06/13/2010, 05:12 PM   #55 (permalink)
Your Reality Check

Vehicle: Y2K GT-P
ICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO
Good read so far.
ICEMAN99TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/13/2010, 05:14 PM   #56 (permalink)

Vehicle: 97 sebring convertible
white97bring needs to be reminded to breathe.
nevermind

Last edited by white97bring; 06/13/2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: dont want to clog the forum with b/s
white97bring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/13/2010, 06:49 PM   #57 (permalink)
Resident Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by white97bring View Post
blah blah blah
You started all of this with your "suck it" comment. I took offense for everybody. You really think people who own this car want to hear someone who doesn't own a car like theirs tell them to shut it on their own forum? Nuff said.

Old 06/13/2010, 09:54 PM   #58 (permalink)
Resident Auto Maniac

Wow wow wow easy guys! If this thread being here is really bothering you guys, then move it.

Otherwise... here's an update!

I still really can't get the bracket to sit completely flush with the tranny mount. It rubs on the transmission and I don't like that. I can't get the engine/trans completely perfectly level and I want to. I need to lower the engine about the thickness of a washer. So that's what I am going to do and see how that works.

I trimmed the bracket a lot today and also drilled the three 1/2" holes for the new studs. Those bolts that you see below are not the finished product those are just so I could mock everything up.

Also.

My welder doesn't seem to get hot enough. The welds aren't to my liking. I am not getting complete penetration through the 1/4" steel. My welder is completely capable of that and I know the problem. Every single outlet in the house I am doing the swap at are 10 amp outlets. I need at least 20amp to weld metal this thick. No biggie. I welded some gusset's onto the bracket for added strength and tomorrow the bracket will be welded by a shop- to keep my mind at ease.

I'll mock up the rear mount and then have it welded by the shop also as it will be made out of 1/2" steel in some areas. I didn't bother to clean up the welds as they will be re-welded and when they are done I'll smooth everything out and make it pretty. I think I'll paint the bracket when its finished too.

Test fit before trimming and gusset's:

This drill is amazing. With sharp bits it has enough torque to plow through the steel like butter.

Old 06/13/2010, 10:02 PM   #59 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

10 amp? you sure about that? there are no 10 amp american outlets.
this is a 15 amp outlet:

and this is a 20 amp outlet:

if you have only 10 amps going to any of those, you can put a larger breaker in. one that matches the outlet.

Quote:
Old 06/13/2010, 10:11 PM   #60 (permalink)
Your Reality Check

Vehicle: Y2K GT-P
ICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by allICEMAN99TURBO seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO
Quote:
You started all of this with your "suck it" comment. I took offense for everybody. You really think people who own this car want to hear someone who doesn't own a car like theirs tell them to shut it on their own forum? Nuff said.
Thank you Greg for getting things on track. Also thank you Mr Red Square for editing your posts, maybe next time you will think before you speak so you dont have to look like a tool by editing your posts; if you fear that you will have to edit a post then don't post anything.

Any more issues will be taken care of, remember this is not OT!
ICEMAN99TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in