Test drove a 2008 GT - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 4G Eclipse General Discussion

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/21/2013, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 04 Eclipse GTS
Corey04gts : who are you?
Test drove a 2008 GT

I know there is a similar thread but I wanted to give my own perspective, even though the car has been out for nearly a decade. The one I looked at was in Kingston, New York. Some basic info:
2008 Eclipse GT 6spd
Burnt Orange color
28,000 miles
Price: 14,700 (they were negotiable)

Ill be comparing this to my 04 GTS, which is basically stock.

Outside: I actually like the styling, especially for an 08. The side profile is nice, it has curves and bulges which somehow flow together. The rear bumper though? FUGLY. This is the first time i've really been able to inspect one of these up close. (closest mitsu dealer to me is about 40 miles away). From the front it looks good, has good overall styling but still wheel gap. And I am not a fan of the orange color.

Interior: Its new and different, but I actually prefer the 3g's to this. The cloth seats were much better bolstered than my leather seats though. The materials felt pretty cheap and plasticy, radio was O.K, just a mix of rubbers and plastics. It also seemed slightly more cramped than the 3g, especially the back seat.

The test drive: All of the pedals are pretty light, especially the clutch. It was smooth and within a couple of minutes i was driving it like it was my own. the engine is quiet and very smooth. It has a nice subtle purr to it. I also much prefer the newer suspension to ours, even though it does have body roll. I'm still on stock struts/springs at nearly 80k miles, so maybe mine are worn and that's why it feels so much better. But anyway the car in general felt more "solid" going down the road. the steering was light and didnt give much feedback. I got it up to about 90 on the test drive, and took it through some good back roads. The engine is obviously stronger than ours, but it doesnt "feel" that much stronger. I don't know if this is due to its "smoothness" or what, or if it has TBW that dulls the torque. What i'm trying to say is from a first gear pull i know the 4g is faster, I'm not saying that. The 3g just feels "snappier" to me. Also, even though it was a 6 speed, the gearing is longer than my gts for sure, so I don't think i even put it in 6th. The shifter is much smoother than mine, and the 6 speed is a nice addition.

The good: Nice 6 speed, smooth & strong engine, sharp styling.
The bad: Still sub-par interior, still body roll, horrible ass.

Conclusion: If you gave me the two cars for same price, year and mileage ( I understand this is impossible i mean for arguments sake) I would pick the 4g. However, I would not trade my 3g in for one, i much prefer the feel of a Nissan Z if I was going to get another "sporty" coupe. For its price range and year range and if you are into cars, there are better options. I wouldn't blame anyone for owning a 4g though. Thanks for the read and take care!

Corey
Corey04gts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/22/2013, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 TJ
Meest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFOMeest00GT Really needs to MTFO
So what you're saying is... after your 3G, you're buying a Z. Gee, now there's an original idea!

I kid, I kid. I think the general consensus on these cars is the same. However They look pretty fantastic lowered IMO. Solves body roll, and the rear end looks better tucked to the ground.

Also, about the interior. Having driven one regularly, you really can't compare the dash materials at all. The dash in the 4G is soft touch and not prone to the cracking ours is. I also like the layout with the Rockford system, though it might be a pain installing something new. The seats are much improved as far as bolstering. Door panels are fairly solid minus the handles you tend to use to close the door. Those are the major points that stick out to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Alright I accidentally crashed my 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse into a mountain.
Quote:
There is no equal fail to that of the almighty Luke. :bowdown:
Meest00GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/22/2013, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

Vehicle: '03 GTS Spyder 6G75
TurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meest00GT View Post
So what you're saying is... after your 3G, you're buying a Z. Gee, now there's an original idea!
I had a Z before my 3G....of the Datsun variety lol. I would have got a Z but I needed the back seat for a baby.

Am I the only person that likes the rear end of the 4G? I would have bought one but I missed the one I wanted by a day and there were no others available that I wanted. I still keep an eye out for some reason and it seems very, very hard to find a GT Spyder manual anywhere.
TurtleTamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02/23/2013, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?
I'm a big fan of the way the 4g looks, but I've never driven one. If the price was right I would test drive one.
patriotred01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/23/2013, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

TurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by allTurtleTamer seems to be well-liked by all
The one I wanted to look at was the perfect deal and up in MD. You know how dealerships are around here, especially if you go in with my hair cut. I went back and forth with one guy for three days via email and he would not give me a price on a 4G they had on the lot. He wanted me to "come take a look." I said I "wouldn't buy a can of dog food at the grocery store without a price tag" and he said "show me the money." Then he wouldn't tell me how much money he wanted me to "show" him. Idiot must've thought I was some E-1 fresh out of boot who would come fall in love and pay $8k over KBB at 30% interest.

I went all the way up to Manassas (I call it "Man Asses" haha) to buy my 3G.
Old 02/23/2013, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTamer View Post
The one I wanted to look at was the perfect deal and up in MD. You know how dealerships are around here, especially if you go in with my hair cut. I went back and forth with one guy for three days via email and he would not give me a price on a 4G they had on the lot. He wanted me to "come take a look." I said I "wouldn't buy a can of dog food at the grocery store without a price tag" and he said "show me the money." Then he wouldn't tell me how much money he wanted me to "show" him. Idiot must've thought I was some E-1 fresh out of boot who would come fall in love and pay $8k over KBB at 30% interest.

I went all the way up to Manassas (I call it "Man Asses" haha) to buy my 3G.
I don't know, I've never dealt with Hall Mitsu before, but my experience with the one in Richmond was bait and switch. I bought from a private owner in Goochland.
patriotred01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/23/2013, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Back from Deployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotred01 View Post
I don't know, I've never dealt with Hall Mitsu before, but my experience with the one in Richmond was bait and switch. I bought from a private owner in Goochland.
I've only ever dealt with them for parts. This guy in question was at Tidewater Auto Brokers IIRC. I've never had a good experience at any dealer within 50 miles of here save for an honest, no-pressure guy at Deer Park in Newport News. Unfortunately the 3G I looked at had been wrecked so I passed on it.
Old 02/25/2013, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 04 Eclipse GTS
Corey04gts : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meest00GT View Post

Haha, no. I am sticking to front wheel drive or all wheel drive, looking more towards GTI. If I were to get a Z I would also need a winter car, just not in my plans right now. Not enough garage space etc etc. Speaking of Datsuns, my cousin bought a mint 280z in that burgundy color last year. Early 70's model, 42,000 original miles. An old woman's husband passed and sold it to him for $4300.00 (they were neighbors).. what a steal! now it sits in his garage.
Corey04gts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/17/2013, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

braddock11223 : who are you?
I definitely agree with you about the speed part. I know that the 4g is faster but it doesn't really feel like it is.
braddock11223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 4G Eclipse General Discussion

Tags
review, test drive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in