Display calibration - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Visualization > Audio, Video and Photography

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10/06/2018, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Display calibration

So I bought Erin a nice monitor for us () for the computer I'm slowly putting together on paper. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...or-accessories (but $220 from Staples)
I figured it would be cool to get a color calibrator device and calibrate the monitor and her Macbook screen. Well I've calibrated neither of those things yet, I did however do my TV that's connected to a small PC. I got a used in box Spyder4 Pro for $75 and ran the Datacolor software for it and I was shocked...by how poorly it calibrated the colors and white especially. Everything was orangey yellow and looked terrible. I thought..well..my eyes have been wrong this whole time? They must be, this professional device and software says so. Of course I ran to Google crying that maybe I got a bum device, furiously clacking away at my little key caps. Then I was saved by open source software, yet again.

Enter Displaycal!
https://displaycal.net/
Install was simple, setup was easy, I ran the calibration which was MUCH more thorough and included a live mode to adjust settings to get them as close to correct before starting. Everything looks so nice on my TV now, the blues and greens are especially so much better but all colors look way more accurate and lifelike, I can't recommend this enough if you enjoy...well anything at all!

Ok so that's all fine and dandy because I have a computer connected to the TV, but what about if you're watching TV from a set top box or blu-ray player or gaming console? Never fear, Displaycal has what's called 'untethered' mode. You can export all the test images to files and display them on the screen you need to calibrate and then use the display settings to get the readings from the device and software to best match and get a fairly good result still. You'll have true to life colors in MarioKart finally!

It runs great on Windows 10, but also supports Linux and OSX too with what I can assume is nearly the same ease. I may try it with Xubuntu on my crappy old Dell Laptop that I use all the time.

Holy shit my anime looks so fucking good right now, my $400 Samsung TV from Sams Club is like blowing my mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/11/2018, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT Spyder
Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.
Interesting -- I was planning on getting a new 4k television within a year, maybe I should look into getting a calibrator as well. They seem to have some caveats though, regarding some of those wide color gamut things, but you would think it would be fine.

Bri01Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/11/2018, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
I ran it on my Laptop in Xubuntu Linux and this screen only hits 67% sRGB and like 40% Adobe RGB, so I may re-do the calibration on this laptop for a longer time with more colors to try to get it a little better, I notice some color banding now on really compressed images that I didn't see before but overall everything looks so much more lifelike. Displaycal is amazing software, I think the software is what's the most important.

Old 10/12/2018, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT Spyder
Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.
that may be the limits of your screen. Not that it's a bad screen, because I think sometimes the video snobs look more at the numbers than what actually looks good to them. All I know is we've come a long way from amber screens (my friend's computer had one of those). I also remember ogling a picture of a naked girl printed in black and white only using ASCII characters. Sad but true, LOL.

Bri01Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/14/2018, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
am cat

I remember my dad's Apple IIC had a green and black screen, that was cool.

Yea the laptop screen is not the best screen by a long shot but I'll give it a go at a longer calibration. I'll set it in my closet with some indirect lighting and just let it run for a day while I'm at work and see if it's any better, no harm in trying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Visualization > Audio, Video and Photography

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in