Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

DemonEcliples' 3G Eclipse Totaled

13K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  djasonpenney 
#1 · (Edited)
R.I.P Eclipse :(

Avoiding a speeding SUV on the way to work. Spun out but counter steered to avoid any other cars (I was the only one to crash....remarkably at 8:00 am during decent traffic).

My next car will ... something sensible, reliable, good on gas, and with a good re-sale value

See less See more
#6 ·
Da-damn!! Good to know you're OK. Good luck with the EVO X.

#7 ·
better the car than you. sucks that happened but at least you are replacing it with an even better car. hopefully things will go better with that

#10 ·
gsr if you can drive manual. i dont think the mr is worth the money

#21 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I've been going through my finances and I think instead of the EVO right away I'll get a new 2011 (enter sensible car with good resale value around $18,000 with 0% APR) and get a condo instead. I need to stop throwing money away with rent at my current apartment. A condo will be first, then eventually sell the (previously stated car) for my EVO.

#22 ·
Since I do not have a garage or place to keep the car to part out I will be getting what I can off of it then trying to sell as is.

If anyone is interested PM me.

I already have someone interested in the fuel door. I will be able to take out the HID kit but mostly everything else will stay on the car.

#33 ·
"Avoid a speeding SUV on the way to work"

Which means there was no contact with the other car. Which means the other vehicle did not actually force you off the road. Which means YOU drove your vehicle off the road into the safer barrier totaling it.

That's simple logic. Read it a few times, if you don't get it.

Unless the other car physically hit yours and changed the path of travel, the fact that you went off road, is your responsibility.

You freaked out due to another vehicle speeding in the right lane, and you over-reacted and lost control on your own accord. The other vehicle speeding in the right lane does NOT immediately equal loss of control.

Think about what you're saying. A speeding SUV goes into the right lane to pass ....and that causes you to have no choice but to crash? That makes no sense in the slightest.

You're completely missing the point that your reaction made the situation worse and could have caused a larger accident. For some reason, you view this as if you made the RIGHT choice to swerve, loose control, and crash. Well, you're wrong.

I'm making a big deal about this because there are a lot of young kids on this forum who will read your post and reaction and automatically assume that's a wise choice and it needs to be known that this is NOT HOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO REACT ON THE STREET.

#34 · (Edited)
I have to be honest. I cant believe you are making a big deal of this. You have been a member on this forum for a long time and for the most part command respect.

First off...

"Which means there was no contact with the other car. Which means the other vehicle did not actually force you off the road. Which means YOU drove your vehicle off the road into the saferbarrier totaling it."
That's....what I said...again, I never said it wasn't my fault nor his. I simply described the situation as it unfolded.

"That's simple logic. Read it a few times, if you don't get it."
Apparently YOU need to read it a few times more.

"Unless the other car physically hit yours and changed the path of travel, the fact that you went off road, is your responsibility."
....again, I never said it wasn't

"You freaked out due to another vehicle speeding in the right lane, and you over-reacted and lost control on your own accord. The other vehicle speeding in the right lane does NOT immediately equal loss of control."
Did you even read what I wrote?!

"Think about what you're saying. A speeding SUV goes into the right lane to pass ....and that causes you to have no choice but to crash? That makes no sense in the slightest."
Think of it in terms of all of what I wrote in terms of seconds. He may have been going 70 or 75 when he passed the car behind me (not crazy speeds lets be honest). He changed lanes almost at the same time I did but I was going 60 or 65 (technically we were both speeding). He did surprise me enough to have me turn the wheel too much and on top of that I was still kinda sleepy. All of this added up to me crashing (AGAIN, NOT SAYING IT WASN'T MY FAULT!)

"You're completely missing the point that your reaction made the situation worse and could have caused a larger accident. For some reason, you view this as if you made the RIGHT choice to swerve, loose control, and crash. Well, you're wrong."
That's your misinterpretation of what I wrote. No where did I say, "He was speeding and almost hit me so I had no choice but to act quietly and thus lost control!" Furthermore, I also never said what I did out of instinct (NOT CONSCIOUS CHOICE) was the "RIGHT" choice. And you're right, this could have been a lot worse. I could have hurt or killed someone, I could have been killed myself, doesn't that alone warrant more open-minded compassion and sympathy?

"I'm making a big deal about this because there are a lot of young kids on this forum who will read your post and reaction and automatically assume that's a wise choice and it needs to be known that this is NOT HOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO REACT ON THE STREET."
Again I have to be honest. I can not fathom why you are pressing this so much. This is not a thread about HOW TO DEAL WITH LANE CHANGES, or HOW TO CONTROL YOUR CAR WHEN AVOIDING ANOTHER CAR, or even HOW TO BE STUPID AND TOTAL YOUR PRIDE AND JOY.

I am in NO WAY trying to promote what I did as a teaching tool. If anything, you can see this as a learning experience. Instead of attacking me, why don't you HELP me and others know WHAT to do in situations like this or better yet, just say what everyone else did, "Glad your ok, sorry for your loss." Please, with all do respect, you are being a jerk.

I would hope that you would have more faith in the general population on this forum than to think them naive enough to read this "graveyard" thread and think its some sort of example for them to follow.

You really need to re-think your position on this. I am really not trying to piss you off, simply trying to address something that plagues a lot of forums and the world in general: People jumping to conclusion and generalities to justify some self righteous sense of policing everyone else. You need not jump down peoples throats about petty stuff (especially when you're mostly inaccurate), instead I suggest compassion, understanding, and common sense.

To everyone who DID honestly send me their best wishes, THANK YOU!!

#45 ·
Last I checked I believe the driver's side is ok....but I can't remember. I will see tomorrow.

KEEP IN MIND EVERYONE!

I will not be parting out this 3G because I don't have the space or time to do it. I might get some simple stuff off but for the most part it will be sold as is to anyone who lives near by.

#46 ·
Ok, car sold to a close friend of mine. I do not believe he is parting it out at all nor is he a member of Club3G. He said he is going to work on it and try to get it back to 100%....may take a while. At least I can look forward to someone rebuilding it to it's former glory as apposed to see it be scrapped.

#49 ·
Holy thread revival batman! lol

:agreed:

Was just going through some old things and saw this comment which I didn't notice before. It is a shame.

I ended up buying a new 2011 Toyota Corolla S to be more sensible. I will one day have my Evo but not just yet.

Thanks for the concern :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.