Success with APUs - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > General Chat Forums > Gaming and IT Discussion

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/24/2019, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT Spyder
Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.Bri01Spyder is God.
Success with APUs

So I needed a new computer for my office, which really just needed to run cool and be just strong enough graphically to show x-rays. As it turns out, they're just pictures so really didn't need anything that powerful. This was last year, I got the Ryzen 5 2400g and paired it with a Samsung 500gb SSD. Not the fancy M.2 drive, just a regular SATA.

Still, with this system and a slightly overkill, er actually ridiculously overkill 650 watt power supply, the computer starts up really fast and I can take x-rays right away, instead of waiting for the OS to load using a regular hard drive.

Because of this, and since I don't game any more, I haven't really bought any new monitors for my home gaming system, which is getting a bit long in the tooth. Now looking forward to AMD's upcoming APU which would be something for me to use to replace my home torrenting/browsing/multitasking system.

I can see myself getting the new APU, which is rumored to have 8 cores, and 16 threads, meaning I can multi-task like crazy. Pair it with an M.2 drive and 16 gb of ram (probably overkill yet again), and maybe buy a couple of 4 TB drives (because I stupidly like to save everything I torrent), and have something that's really efficient and won't even need an aftermarket cpu cooler.

The only place where I'll be going old school probably is with getting an optical drive for the new system. For some reason, some really old legacy software I use doesn't seem to be able to be installed using a thumb drive. I probably should update the software but that would mean updating tons of records which I couldn't be bothered with. Plus this old moldy software is extremely efficient because it has zero graphics or frills. In fact, it's barely windows compatible.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the upcoming Ryzen 3 chips. They seem pretty neat to me. I'm hoping I can install that old software, if not I'll just keep the old computer available just in case I need it. Plus, I still burn CDs every so often since my car doesn't have USB compatibility either. LOL, guess I'm too old school.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bri01Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > General Chat Forums > Gaming and IT Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Endless Sky | - »