Well, She's (SDS) in... - Page 18 - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Forced Induction & Nitrous > GT/GTS

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09/14/2017, 06:52 AM   #1021 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse
Rectzero : who are you?Rectzero : who are you?Rectzero : who are you?
We should meet up sometime. You live so close.
Rectzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09/16/2017, 10:30 PM   #1022 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Vehicle: 2003 GTS 5sp.
repforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regular
Yeah, that would be cool. Alas, time is the issues these days. I literally have none most of the time. :/
repforenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/17/2018, 10:50 PM   #1023 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

repforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regular
So I had a trouble shooting adventure recently. My BOV failed... not overly surprising since it was a Greddy Type S knock-off from ebay. Lasted as long as the car has been boosted. But when the BOV failed, it took the ISC Motor with it. Little bit of a pain to find because no codes were thrown and vacuum levels were good. Dealership wanted $505 for new ISC motor. I found one for much less. After repairing both, the car runs as it always has.

Old 07/18/2018, 07:17 PM   #1024 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
How are those two even related? It mechanically damaged it by jamming a bunch of boost up against it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/18/2018, 07:50 PM   #1025 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
How are those two even related? It mechanically damaged it by jamming a bunch of boost up against it?
I guess. There was a lot of play with the plunger. It kind of makes sense. I'm not running such high boost that compressor surge would be an issue. But the pressure has to go somewhere and the ISC ports in the throttle body seemed the likely escape route. Believe me, that was one of the last places I looked.

Once I replaced the failed BOV, I set the new one to the softest settings, essentially allowing any of the compressed air from the blower to get diverted. But the idle was just all over the place. After spending a lot of time entertaining the more likely fail points, I pulled the ISC motor and determined it was damaged. Once the new one when in, all of my idle issues were gone... after tightening up the BOV spring and verifing ISC steps were where I had them programmed.
Old 07/18/2018, 08:18 PM   #1026 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
That's a weird one for sure, I guess the plunger being forced back and forth could create some feedback via inductance but that would more likely damage the driver circuit than the ISC motor itself. The Mitsu V6 ISC's are always touchy anyway, always have been.

Old 09/06/2018, 02:31 PM   #1027 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Well, She's (SDS) in...

Nothing really new to report other than I finally got around to putting the Seibon hood on. My other carbon fiber hood was just cracking all to hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by repforenzo; 09/06/2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01/16/2019, 05:42 PM   #1028 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

So I have some real news!
This:

I’ve had this motor for a while. Got it from Greg when he moved to Texas and had to get rid of excess inventory. It has 8.8:1 CP pistons, Pauter rods with ARP fasteners, bored 20 over and had the crank rebalanced. It was pulled from a SDS car and sat in my garage for about a year and a half.

Wasn’t totally sure of its condition so I opted to have the block refreshed at a machine shop: new bearings and rings, crank polished, new freeze plugs, honed the cylinder bores, and had it decked.

Last edited by repforenzo; 01/19/2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01/16/2019, 05:49 PM   #1029 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Slapped a new Clutchmasters FX 350 clutch in there with a new flywheel insert.

Old 01/16/2019, 05:54 PM   #1030 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Attached the trans and put the whole assembly back in the car from underneath.

Heads and most of the upper assembly back on back on:

And done! With a newish V-3 Vortech Ripp SDS.

Last edited by repforenzo; 01/16/2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01/19/2019, 03:11 PM   #1031 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Also added a Damond venting oil catch can. My previous catch can did not vent causing some back-pressure oil leaks.

Old 01/19/2019, 09:51 PM   #1032 (permalink)
REDLINE ALL GEARS

Vehicle: 2002 GT-T
thahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by all
wait did that motor come from the silver rippmods stratus. Looks good what do you plan on doing with the other blower set up
Old 01/19/2019, 11:11 PM   #1033 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

I don't think so but maybe. (Actually, I kinda said that in one of the above posts... I meant to say it came out of a SDS car but wasn't necessary THE Ripp Status). I know the Ripp car was at Greg's for a bit.

Last edited by repforenzo; 01/19/2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01/19/2019, 11:19 PM   #1034 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahnic1080 View Post
Looks good what do you plan on doing with the other blower set up
At this time, I plan on keeping my spare SDS stuff. With the built engine, upgrade options have opened up. We'll see where the power level ends up with the V-3.

Last edited by repforenzo; 01/20/2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02/20/2019, 12:07 AM   #1035 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

So I started experiencing some weird idle issues.... the idle was hunting with big RPM swings. And while running in boost, acceleration seemed very soft. Everything pointed toward a massive vacuum leak. I was a little concerned because it could be something simple or something more catastrophic like the valve train or such.

Thankfully, it turned out to be something really simple: The screw holding in that spring loaded diaphragm at the bottom of the TB vibrated loose. Tighten it back up with some Loctite and done! I was glad that I just had to pull the intake plenum off. Slapped everything back together and no more run issues.

Hoping in the coming weeks I can do a little more street tuning. The current SDS tune is still set for the Vortech V-5 and original GTS pistons. I should see a fairly significant improvement based on some of the boost numbers Iíve already seen from the V-3. Timing and fuel all need to be adjusted. I also plan to get her back on the dyno when summer temperatures arrive.

Old 04/04/2019, 03:13 PM   #1036 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2005 330XI
buddd : who are you?buddd : who are you?buddd : who are you?
That short block looks like it came from the factory. Probably better.

Also, it's amazing how you managed to keep your engine bay looking that nice after all of this time.

Looking forward to dyno plots.
buddd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/05/2019, 01:36 PM   #1037 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Well, She's (SDS) in...

For the first three years of the carís life, it was a garage kept daily. But when I got serious about modding it, I bought a second car. For the past 14 years, itís been protected by the garage and never sees the rain. So it looks brand new, inside and out.

Been doing a little tuning and hope to see the dyno some time this year. Not expecting a profound jump in HP numbers, but there definitely should be some across the board improvement.

And yeah, the machine shop I went to did a great job.

Last edited by repforenzo; 04/05/2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04/10/2019, 08:09 PM   #1038 (permalink)

Mattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by manyMattt is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
Id like to see this thing sometime, I live just west of Baltimore.
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/15/2019, 02:23 AM   #1039 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Some of my initial observation with my current set up is that the V-3 is producing around 2 psi more at each respective rpm level than the V-5 did. Peak boost hasn’t gone beyond 12 psi and that’s because I’m getting some belt slippage. Need to tighten it up a bit more.

I’ve got a little bit of work to do on the tune. The water/methanol start and peak points still require more refining. As I adjust the fuel to match the bigger blower, I‘m able to pull the timing a bit. I honestly can’t tell if I’m making profoundly more power. She’s getting it really good right now. Tuning is the fun part!

I am seriously thinking about putting the stock cat-back on, but also adding a cut-out before it. The car is way too loud in its current form and it sticks out way too much. Future project.

Last edited by repforenzo; 04/15/2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04/15/2019, 10:27 PM   #1040 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

There's a good chance I'll be at the Import Shootout @ Capitol Raceway June 2nd.... weather and family functions permitting.
Old 04/16/2019, 08:21 PM   #1041 (permalink)
REDLINE ALL GEARS

thahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by allthahnic1080 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by repforenzo View Post
There's a good chance I'll be at the Import Shootout @ Capitol Raceway June 2nd.... weather and family functions permitting.
ill probably be there with friends
Old 04/26/2019, 05:29 PM   #1042 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Well, easy come easy go. Went for a little rip a week or so back and after coming out of it I started to hear what was sounding like rod knock. After draining the oil and cracking open the oil filter it was confirmed: spun bearing(s).

The good news is that I was very close to home and the failure at this point wasnít catastrophic. Wonít really know until teardown. Iíve got my original 6g72 block and crank as spares.. Iím hoping that the rods and pistons are fine. And weíll see about the crank in the block. iíll let the engine builder deal with that so he can determine where the issue is. Thatís how the spun bearing gets spinned. It is what it is, and I will rebuild. Time in scheduling are always the issue.

Old 04/26/2019, 09:12 PM   #1043 (permalink)
am cat

Oh shit, that sucks! Least it wasn't on the track with the engine scattering!

Old 04/26/2019, 09:59 PM   #1044 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
Oh shit, that sucks! Least it wasn't on the track with the engine scattering!
Yeah, and that hopefully means that many of the parts are salvageable.
Old 05/03/2019, 02:13 AM   #1045 (permalink)
REDLINE ALL GEARS

damn that sucks man especially on the built block
Old 05/05/2019, 12:00 AM   #1046 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Yeah, itís a bummer. But you just rebuild. Iím just glad it wasnít something stupid from my reassembly.

Old 06/05/2019, 02:30 PM   #1047 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Finally got some time to pull the engine. Itís back at the shop and will be rebuilt. Four out of the six cylinders showed crank to rod ďplayĒ.

Old 06/05/2019, 03:42 PM   #1048 (permalink)

Any guesses as to why the bearings went? Power increase? Oil pump failure? Seems strange that it would fail this soon after getting built.

Last edited by buddd; 06/05/2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06/05/2019, 05:27 PM   #1049 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Well, She's (SDS) in...

I suspect bearing clearances might be suspect. Oil pressure was always good at all RPM levels. and I followed the break-in protocol. Return the short block intact so the engine builder can do his troubleshooting.

A rebuilt engine will likely fail in the beginning part of itís life.

Old 06/06/2019, 08:31 AM   #1050 (permalink)

Checking bearing clearances seems basic for a professional engine builder... Curious whether he owns up to any mistakes or tries to pin it on you.
Old 06/07/2019, 07:07 AM   #1051 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Heís a good guy. Weíll see.

Old 07/22/2019, 07:36 PM   #1052 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Hereís a minor update: I just received my upgraded valve springs from RPW. David and his team, down under, have always been an excellent source of aftermarket parts for our engines. Going to deliver these to the engine builder tomorrow.

And a quick spec vs. the stock 6G7*:

Old 07/23/2019, 08:49 AM   #1053 (permalink)

Any word on the engine failure? Potential causes and how it's going to get fixed?
Old 07/25/2019, 08:21 AM   #1054 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

No definitive cause has been found. Lots of maybes and theories. Iíve moved on and just talked a little bit about the clearances with the engine builder. Iím just going to do a prolonged engine break-in this time. Maybe not throw boost at it to soon.

Old 07/25/2019, 10:08 AM   #1055 (permalink)

It'd be nice if he at least agreed to split the cost of the rebuild with you. It's not like you are pushing crazy numbers out of the engine even if the engine saw boost shortly after a rebuild.

That's just my opinion though. I don't know the details of the circumstances. Glad you're moving forward though.
Old 07/25/2019, 09:38 PM   #1056 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddd View Post
It'd be nice if he at least agreed to split the cost of the rebuild with you. It's not like you are pushing crazy numbers out of the engine even if the engine saw boost shortly after a rebuild.

That's just my opinion though. I don't know the details of the circumstances. Glad you're moving forward though.
It's difficult. He is highly respected and recommended. I'm sure if he determined that it was his fault, he would right the wrong. There were multiple rod bearing failures... no heat was induced on the crank. It could be as simple as that I didn't break the engine in long enough... If a rebuilt engine fails, it will statistically fail early in its life. I expect to get the engine back by the end of August.

My builder said he was going to measure the spec of the RPW spring vs the stockers. With a little bit of math, we'll be able to calculate where I can take the rev limit. Not going to go crazy there, but I'm thinking 7500 rpms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Forced Induction & Nitrous > GT/GTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Questions again | - »