becoming a automotive tech questions - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > General Chat Forums > The Lounge

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11/29/2016, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pilosalas : who are you?
becoming a automotive tech questions

hey guys if im in the wrong forum please move it to the right section.
so i have a couple questions . first of all does Mitsubishi have a training program like BMW ( STEP ) Toyota ( T ten) gm ( ASEP ) and so on . do we really not have our training program/center ? i can litterly look up gm training center or any manufacture like that and ill find it but for Mitsubishi i cant find nothing. also do we have any techs at dealers on club3g? ive tried looking up reviews for example for STEP on forums ( decided STEP sucked) and for T ten which i liked i cant even find forums for Mitsubishi techs saying any of their experience / salary's nothing at all .
thanks to guys with 3gs i met on instagram they have helped me alot with this . as of now im working at a small independent shop/dealer (18 years old still in high school as a senior) my plans were to get a certificate one made me realize thats not helpful so i decided to go to Houston Community colege after my AAS degree in automotive tech . now the other guy made me realize you need a traning program like t ten to work at a good level at for example toyota or lexus . so now im looking to attend San Jacinto college .sorry for the long text. i get to nervous and scared on what im going to do with my life and where and how. looking into T ten alot now!
Pilosalas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11/29/2016, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Honestly Mitsubishi staying in the US market long term is looking less and less likely, they might be gone or severely reduced in the next 5-10 years. Currently I don't think they have any US production and their dealer network has been shrinking steadily over the past 5 years or more.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/30/2016, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
Honestly Mitsubishi staying in the US market long term is looking less and less likely, they might be gone or severely reduced in the next 5-10 years. Currently I don't think they have any US production and their dealer network has been shrinking steadily over the past 5 years or more.
yeah its so sad to be honest cause i feel like working at a Mitsubishi dealer is something i would enjoy i guess maybe in the future if they are able to come back up. im looking alot into trying to go into lexus hopefully i will be able to.
oh like i said does mitsubishi have a training program like everyone else? i probaby wont go to it but just wondering
Old 11/30/2016, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Willful Aspirer

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse Spyder GTS
gabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by manygabessdsp is well-liked by many
Send a message via Skype™ to gabessdsp
Quote:
Are they not severly reduced already? I hardly see Mitsu dealers compared to most other dealers. And they only have two things going for them IMHO. The Miev and the Outlander. (idk how most feel about the mirage, but the new Lancer is a joke)
gabessdsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/30/2016, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
lit up

Vehicle: '14 BRZ
soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilosalas View Post
so i have a couple questions . first of all does Mitsubishi have a training program like BMW ( STEP ) Toyota ( T ten) gm ( ASEP ) and so on . do we really not have our training program/center ? i can litterly look up gm training center or any manufacture like that and ill find it but for Mitsubishi i cant find nothing. also do we have any techs at dealers on club3g? ive tried looking up reviews for example for STEP on forums ( decided STEP sucked) and for T ten which i liked i cant even find forums for Mitsubishi techs saying any of their experience / salary's nothing at all .
thanks to guys with 3gs i met on instagram they have helped me alot with this . as of now im working at a small independent shop/dealer (18 years old still in high school as a senior) my plans were to get a certificate one made me realize thats not helpful so i decided to go to Houston Community colege after my AAS degree in automotive tech . now the other guy made me realize you need a traning program like t ten to work at a good level at for example toyota or lexus . so now im looking to attend San Jacinto college .sorry for the long text. i get to nervous and scared on what im going to do with my life and where and how. looking into T ten alot now!
honestly, nissan is just as good/bland as mitsu at this point, but they're actually still selling cars and have a strong dealer network.

my recommendation is to go to a tech school such as UTI for automotive training, and then consider the ford program over the other brand-specific programs. both my brothers went through uti, with one completing the ford program.

the ford program is different from other programs in that they don't require you to work 'x' years at one of their dealerships later, and the program is highly respected industry-wide because of the troubleshooting training that is part of the course, which helps on the job front.

i've only met one person that went the college route for cars, but he hasn't completed yet--currently just pulling his hair out trying to work 8 hours a day +4 hours every night in class, so i don't know how lucrative that is in the end-- i'm not cut out for college at all, and neither are my brothers, so the tech school method was a much better alternative..

as far as where that training got my brothers, one is the lead fiat/alfa romeo tech, and the other isn't lead only because of the number of old guy's in his shop, but he gets more book hours then anyone else in the shop. but a lot that in either case has to do with their work ethic then their specific training. the credentials got them the job, but really has very little to do with either of their successes, both started off on the quick-change oil racks and worked their way up..
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/30/2016, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
honestly, nissan is just as good/bland as mitsu at this point, but they're actually still selling cars and have a strong dealer network.

my recommendation is to go to a tech school such as UTI for automotive training, and then consider the ford program over the other brand-specific programs. both my brothers went through uti, with one completing the ford program.

the ford program is different from other programs in that they don't require you to work 'x' years at one of their dealerships later, and the program is highly respected industry-wide because of the troubleshooting training that is part of the course, which helps on the job front.

i've only met one person that went the college route for cars, but he hasn't completed yet--currently just pulling his hair out trying to work 8 hours a day +4 hours every night in class, so i don't know how lucrative that is in the end-- i'm not cut out for college at all, and neither are my brothers, so the tech school method was a much better alternative..

as far as where that training got my brothers, one is the lead fiat/alfa romeo tech, and the other isn't lead only because of the number of old guy's in his shop, but he gets more book hours then anyone else in the shop. but a lot that in either case has to do with their work ethic then their specific training. the credentials got them the job, but really has very little to do with either of their successes, both started off on the quick-change oil racks and worked their way up..
i agree with you on mitsubishi and nissan tbh . im looking alot into working for toyota or lexus dealer . i would go for ford but i want to work in a Japanese dealer. i have yet to see a bad experience from someone working at lexus . the program for them is T ten . my question now is do i have to take the regular class for automotive tech to earn my associate's degree then go to a dealer apply and get trained or if i attend a school like san jacinto college with the program does it count for traning and the associate's degree at the same time? im asking you cause you say your brothers did the ford program wich i would imagine works the same way. thanks man
Old 11/30/2016, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Best thing to do would be to just contact Tten and ask them, I'm sure they've got something like a career counselor that can give you better answers.
Old 11/30/2016, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
lit up

soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.
every brand-specific program has it's own requirements, i just know the ford program didn't have any brand-employment requirements, and was one of the few that the certification carried weight outside of its own brand--that was the main reason my brother did it, because it gave him the freedom of looking for a job anywhere instead of just ford, and it added another level of certification that other applicants were likely to not have.

i can't speculate on what the t ten program requires, and it would be best if you talk to someone better familiar with the t ten program to see what is required of it. every program is a little different-- like trying to tell you how to work on a toyota if all i've ever worked on are chevy's.. on the surface, they have the same fundamentals, but are drastically different in each component...

the entire 'earn an associates degree' thing is completely new to me, and was something that wasn't even offered or considered 5 years ago. i'll try to talk to my brothers and see if anyone in their shops have such a certification, but i don't know anyone that has completed it, so i have no concept of its relevance after completion.

i'm a hands-on kind of guy just like my brothers, and as some of my electrical apprentices have taught me, mechanical aptitude is an entirely different skillset from booksmart aptitude, so i don't understand how burying your head in college books immediately translates to creating or adding to a mechanical aptitude. all 3 of us were able to rebuild and tune 2-stroke carbs when we were in high school, mostly by teaching ourselves or each other because we are all very mechanically inclined

which is why i suggest a program like uti--which is a hands-on type course setup, where they will teach something in the book and then tear into a motor and show it, contrasted with a college-level course where they just show it in the book and move on to the next thing.

it's all about how you learn. some learn better through books, others like me, learn better by tearing into things and seeing how they work..
Old 11/30/2016, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
am cat

ASE certs mean more than any college degree from what I've been told, but honestly they're kind of a racket.
Old 12/01/2016, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Vehicle: 05 GS-T Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Quote:
ASE certs mean more than any college degree from what I've been told, but honestly they're kind of a racket.
Yup. They also allow you to have tons of leverage once you're in the work force.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/01/2016, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
lit up

Quote:
they're a major racket. no one really asks/looks for it in general, but working in a dealership there's the requirement to keep up on brand-specific training, which pretty much takes the place of ASE.

both my brothers had a ton of ASE cert's before leaving UTI, but i believe they've both started letting them lapse because there's very little reason to keep them.. the dealers will pay for the test if they pass, but it's on them if they fail and need to re-take..
Old 12/01/2016, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
am cat

Of course degrees and certs mean shit if you don't know shit, nothing trumps on the job learning and experience, there's no ASE test question about the best way to free a seized bolt or nut without breaking it. That's because there is no best way, it's a case by case basis and it's up to your experience and judgment to determine the appropriate course of action. Tons of great tips and tools for that situation but nothing trumps experience most of the time. Also Google, Google is great.
Old 12/02/2016, 01:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

thanks guys! after looking a bit more into t ten im almost 100% sure i will take teh program! i will try go to a lexus forum and ask around more info their and experiences . about uti i dont think i will every go to it . pretty damm expensive every mechanic ive talked to tells me to not waste my money by going to uti if a community college can do the same for less price. about the hands on im not a expert or none but i do have experience . as of now i work at shop small independent shop and well ive never tooken my car to a shop i fix them my self. only time was for a clutch job the second clutch job i did my self since then i never been back . as of now the 3g is getting a turbo im almost done with all the parts after that its just replace intake manifold, timing belt and water pump then its ready for turbo.
Old 12/02/2016, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
I would never recommend someone going into the auto field these years. I was in it for 8 years and worked with everything from Mazda to Lamborghini. So glad I'm out of the auto field.
Old 12/05/2016, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I would never recommend someone going into the auto field these years. I was in it for 8 years and worked with everything from Mazda to Lamborghini. So glad I'm out of the auto field.
was your experience really that bad ? or why you say that? and what do you work now if you dont mind me asking
Old 12/05/2016, 06:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Quote:
was your experience really that bad ? or why you say that? and what do you work now if you dont mind me asking
Yes. It's ran completely wrong compared to ANY other business. The people in the auto industry are different type of people. Angered/tempered people somehow get jobs in it from my experience. Common sense is thrown out the window when it comes to the way you run a repair shop. It's only the auto industry too. I have no idea why it's like that.

I work in the emergency power field now. (generators and pumps)
Old 02/20/2017, 11:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

webbrowan : who are you?
Actually I’m pretty sure that you can attend a training program form any dealership if you had the right connections for it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to pay for the training too and I don't think the dealers would say no to paying customers right? Easy enough to get a friend to bring you along as a +1 too I reckon!
webbrowan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2017, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

nerdybiker : who are you?
Quote:
Of course degrees and certs mean shit if you don't know shit, nothing trumps on the job learning and experience, there's no ASE test question about the best way to free a seized bolt or nut without breaking it. That's because there is no best way, it's a case by case basis and it's up to your experience and judgment to determine the appropriate course of action. Tons of great tips and tools for that situation but nothing trumps experience most of the time. Also Google, Google is great.
Bingo. I don't consider myself a terribly good auto mechanic honestly. What gets it done for me is 25+ years of industrial machine maintenance - in other words *lots* of experience with general mechanical and electrical principles. Learning things about metallurgy and mechanical principles, industrial controls, etc.. can lend a lot of help to working on our machines (cars). I had a small car shop around 1990, but industry paid more frankly. Plus I didn't have to bend over to work on engines so much.

In truth, Skilled Trades is an extremely hot market at the moment. Not many people want to invest a lot of time into learning a trade that's going to get you dirty for the next 40 years. The slick guys "get dirty" for a few years and move on to Robotics or other slightly more "niche" areas. Robot programming is an extremely marketable skill for example. It's not overly difficult if you're good at being patient and using a lot of critical thinking. I can program, but I stay more in the "generalist" market, and walk into a lot of types of broken machines that I've never seen before.. and have to troubleshoot and repair them. It's challenging and rewarding, IMHO.
nerdybiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/14/2017, 01:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Bench Racer

Vehicle: 91 GSX, SN95 302, RX8
Montysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okay
I hate to revive threads over a month old but I figure I may be able to add my two cents because I was in the exact same position OP was in high school. Through the AYES program I was recruited by a Toyota dealership, which put my foot in the door for the T-ten program at San Jacinto college.

IMO it doesn't really matter which program you choose, because your experience in the industry will eventually take you farther than your level of trade school education. Any manufacturer's training class will work for you (GM ASEP, Ford Asset, MOPAR CAP, Toyota T-Ten, etc) but of course I'd pick the one related to the dealership you wish to work. The automotive program at HCC is okay but it's nice to have manufacturer backing. UTI is also a good trade school too but I'm partial to San Jac because it's a hell of a lot cheaper in terms of tuition and your starting pay grade at Toyota is slightly higher if you go the T-Ten route.

If your heart is truly set on working for one of the few remaining Mitsubishi dealerships, fret not because they will take any tech given you have SOME level of automotive training or experience. Hell, a bunch of T-Ten and UTI guys went to Mitsu because they were promised more money and ended up back at Toyota because there just wasn't enough work to justify the increased flat-rate pay grade. My local Mitsu dealer is actually combined with Hyundai, and the Mitsubishi side is so slow business wise that the techs in the shop work on both brands and there's only ONE salesman on the Mitsubishi side.

I'm partial to T-Ten, obviously so I'd say go there. Then when Mitsu finally packs their bags and leaves the US, you can fall back on Toyota where the work is always steady and truly doubt they will ever leave the country. Houston is also a great place to be for Toyota because Gulf States Toyota is actually based here, so if you ever find yourself trying to climb the corporate ladder, you'll have that option as well.

TL;DR: Go to an affordable trade school, get your ASEs, and go turn wrenches.
Montysport94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/16/2018, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
whats uo guys i know my post is old as hell i logged into club3g rn out of nowhere anyways just update i ended up going to T-ten at san jacinto college and im liking it ok not to bad . just sucks getting used to the system at Lexus (work at Lexus northside) i was used to working at independent shop lexus is easy for me in my opinion there isnt really any big jobs and diagnostics just everyonce in a while . anyways last saturday i flagged 22 hours from 8-5 and i came in hungover asf so thats good lol some days i get 6ish hours some days i can push 14 15 . oh btw i did turbo my eclipse just never came back on here
Old 03/22/2018, 02:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Bench Racer

Vehicle: 91 GSX, SN95 302, RX8
Montysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okayMontysport94 seems to be okay
Best place for you honestly. I've been to Northside Lexus, best customer bathrooms in existence.
Montysport94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/25/2018, 12:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montysport94 View Post
Best place for you honestly. I've been to Northside Lexus, best customer bathrooms in existence.
haha im late but man we are moving to a new location soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > General Chat Forums > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in