***How To Get Your Requests Honored*** PS Tutorials Included - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Visualization > Photoshop Requests / Tests

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06/20/2004, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Vehicle: 2000 GT
MCMike37 has disabled reputation
***How To Get Your Requests Honored*** PS Tutorials Included

Comments and suggestions, or any links and anything else you think is beneficial, please PM me and let me know, thanks all.

REQUESTS
If you would like someone to do something for your car, please ensure that with your request you provide the pictures that will be needed to do what you are asking. If it is a bodykit or something along those lines, try to find pictures of the original car and the bodykit in the same angles, it will make the end result much better. Please don't make those that do the requests spend their time searching for what you can do beforehand.

If it is a rim request, same deal, a profile shot of the car (Or as close as you can get) and the picture of the rim.

TUTORIALS
All the Tutorials are listed in this thread. The links will just open a new window that goes right ot the tutorial, or if you aren't lazy, you can scroll Let me emphasize that these are my methods. There are many different ways to do everything, and everyone that works with Photoshop alot will develop their own methods, tips, and tricks.

Rim Changing Tutorial
Color Change Tutorial
Graphics Tutorial
Carbon Fiber Tutorial
Bodykit Tutorial

As for tutorials on basic photoshop things, the best method is to use a search engine and search for photoshop tutorials and just surf through some sites and try some of them. Again, the best way to learn it, is to use it. Also, something I forgot to mention, the HELP section for Photoshop I for one think is great. If you ever have any doubt about a tool and how to use it, check out the help.

PHOTOSHOP LINKS
Here is where I will post links to sites that people recommiend to surf through for tutorials and the such.

www.gurusnetwork.com
www.handson.nu
http://www.teamphotoshop.com/photosh..._tut_tools.php
http://www.chop-it-up.com/
http://www.planetphotoshop.com/tutorials.html

SIG REQUESTS
You can also request for people here to make sigs for you. Just my way is that I ask for pictures they would like used in a sig (Links or post them), and then some guidelines such as what they want in it, their screen names, quotes,mods, favorite colors, any symbols (Like the Mitsu logo) and things like that.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
MCMike37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06/20/2004, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Bodykit Tutorial
Ok, here we go....

First here is the picture of the car from which I am going to take the front lip from.

And here is the car I am going to put it on...

NOTE
It makes the whole process much much much and did I mention much more easy if you have a lot ofpictures to choose from. what this alows is for you to get two pictures that are as close to the same angle as possible. It will make everything go much smoother, and look better in the end. Also, since a lot of times the pictures are going to be of different colors, it pays to have pictures of 3G's in all angles in every color if you are eriously into doing a lot of bodykit additions. For instance, I have probaly 400 megs worth of pictures in my Eclipse directory right now. Quite a bit of those are edits, but I would say I have on the order or 1 to 2 hundred different pictures of different 3G's in all colors at all angles.

Ok, now back to the story. Copy the part from the donor car (I just make a box around it and copy it) and paste it into the new car picture. Do Edit -> Transform -> Flip Horrizontal and then erase all but the front lip. Again, I use a throw away layer to help see better what I am erasing. The below is after I have done that and I deselected the throwaway layer.

Now you can see that the new chin is at a different angle. Even though I got fairly close, it is very unlikely you will ever have a direct match. So, at this point it becomes a little convoluted so to say. You have to do various Transforms to get it to match the angle. For example, what I did...

....I first rotated it so that the close end on the passenger side would fit right on the stock passenger side. Then, i decreased the opacity of the new lip and selected the portion that does not cover the old bumper. Hard to explain, easier to see.

Understood now? Okay, then I went to Edit -> Transform -> Distort and dragged the right top corner up to make the part I select semi-fit on the old bumber. Deselect, and put the opacity back to 100, and here is what mine looked like.

Now, you have some smoothing out to do. First on the bottom you have a sharp bend where you did the transform. (Small, but noticable) My favorite tool for that is the Blur (R) tool. Also, you have a big notch right above that. Use the stamp tool to make a new part of that bumbper there. Now, that is all good, but you also have to fit the bumper onto the car. What do you mean, well, lemme show ya. If you decrease the opacity of the new bumper where it is, you will see the linmes of the car underneath, like the center portion. Just a quick example of what I mean below.

Now, I erase all the parts of the new bumper that are overlapping those lines. I come up with something like this (And I suggest when erasing, use a soft brush so you don't get hard edges)

If you compare to the picutre above, you will see what I did.

So now it is fairly well on there. Next you need to change the color to match the car, using whichever method you prefer. My method that I used is in a post further down this page. And here is after that step.

Again, you can do some tweaking. You can see in the orignal the shadows for the center grill portion, so, I use the burn tool with a soft brush on that portion.

I use the same process for anything I want to add, sideskirts, wings, etc. This is by far the hardest thing you can do I think when it comes to photoshoping cars. Even my example above is not perfect, I can see flaws in it, but for me it is a trade-off of how long do I really want to spend trying to get it exactly right on? Kind of a bad attitude to have, but I am not gonna spend hours trying to get it look just perfect, when the above is good enough for most people. (And just for an example, the portion ot the side skirt on the passenger side really needs to be transformed to make it more horrizontal in respect to the ground. I would use the same method as above when I transformed the bumper and made it fit where the stock bumpber is.)
Old 06/20/2004, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Color Change Tutorial
NOTE : This is the first ever tutorial I did, I haven't updated, but just put it here cause the server it was on before finally was shut down (My account that is)

Alrighty, I have had some many people ask me for a how-to on changing the color of cars, so I promised a nice tutorial about it and thought, "Why not make it a page?" So here it is.

This process really only works with a light colored car. (You can do it with a dark car, but it takes a lot more tweaking, which you would probaly know about so you wouldn't be looking at this page....)

So here is the picture I started out with.

Then I created a dupliacte layer of this picture. Then using the eraser tool, erase all of the parts that you don't want to color. This should mean you have only the parts of the car you want colored left over. When I did it I ended up with the below...

There is a little residue of stuff that I didn't erase complete that you can see. It really shouldn't affect the outcome though. Next you want to go to the Image menu, then to adjust, and select desaturate. (NOTE: This will result in the above picutre. What this does is discard any color information in the above matte (Ok, not really a matte, wrong term, but cloase enough...) while still keeping the reflections that will make the new color more believable.)

Then go to the Image menu, then to Adjust and then to Hue/Saturation. Once you do this it should bring up a new window. Click on the little box next to colorize. Then move the three sliders according to which color you want.

There are a few other ways of doing this procedure (As far as selecting the parts you want to color), but I think they don't give quite as good of a result. A few other ways you can do colors is instead of doing the Hue/Saturation thing, you can try several of the filters that are built into Photoshop (Neon glow, or create a new layer, make it the color you want, put it over the above layer, and then adjust the transparancy of that color layer. With this though you need a second matte though above that colored layer to make sure you don't color all of the background either) In short, there is more then one way to do this....

Anyways....you should hopefully end up with something like below (Disraguard the small patches of silver around the taillights, I originally did all of these color changes with some Altezza's that I made in PS before the real ones were out...)

Old 11/04/2004, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Rim Change Tutorial
Ok, considering this the request I see most often, time for a tutorial on how to do these and make them look good. First off you need a good profile pic of the car and hopefully the rim in the same sort of perspective (Will explain how to fix if not)

So here is the pic I started out with.

First I did an auto-levels adjust to make the picture look better giving me this...

Next on to the rim. Here is the original...

Now, what you want to do is copy this and paste it onto the picture above of the car. Then erase all of the parts that aren't the rim. IMPORTANT : If you notice, in the original rim picture you can see the thickness of the rim I guess is what I want to say. Looking at the car picture, you don't see a lot of the rim except for the profile view. To solve this, you have to force the rim to look like you are looking straight at it. If that doesn't makes sense, look at the next picture and compaer it to the one above (Forgive the blurriness of it, this is actual rim that I put on the car blown up to give a little better detail.)

Don't mind getting it perfectly clean(This is the rim on a white background, in the real edit all the white wouldn't be there) If you look, I erased some of the rim's thickness from it. Also if you notice, the rim look more round here as if you are looking straight at it. This is accomplished by doing the above, and also using the transform command. Taking the original picture, do a transform. To make it look more round, simply strech the rim horrizontally some. In practice what I do is to have the rim on the picture of the car, make a copy (For the other rim). Then position the rim to conincide with the original rim like below.

Then go the transform again, hold shift and use one of the corners of the transform box and shirnk the rim down to fit the VERTICAL size of the original rim. At this point, the rim would be a little too narrow, so strech it out horrizontally to match the new rim match the profile of the original rim exactly.

Now, the question is how do I get them to look so good.....if you have done all the above you will come out with something that looks like this...

You can see the old rim behind the new rim which looks, well, shitty. To fix this problem, use the stamp tool. What you do is stamp out the portions of the old rim trying to make a fake brake rotor behind it. This is what it should look like once you are done (Easier to show then describe.)

Now when you put the rims on....

Viola!

Now, a few more pointers. Sometimes the original picture has some darker parts then the other parts. Like the above picture, the front rim was somewhat shadowed and dimmer compared to the rear (Due to the flash when the picture was taken) To solve that, all I did was to select the airbrush tool, a very light pressure setting, and gently airbrush the rim a little darker until it looked better. The fake rotor behind it didn't really work, so you can see the difference between the front and rear of the edit, how the rear looks like that rim is really on that car. (Well, the color levels are a little off, but it is fairly damn close.)

Hopefully that will give you a general guide on how to do rim changes and make them look more believable. As with anything in photoshop, to really get the hang of something takes just a lot of time and practice. Learning your own little tips and tricks on how to do things better.
Old 11/04/2004, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Graphics Tutorial

But here is the quick explaination of how I do graphics like above.

I take the picture from the website with the graphics and copy and paste it into the picture of the car I want to put them on. Then I erase everything but the graphics. This is way I select things, not with the lasso, because I can get very precise with the eraser. It may take someone that is just starting off a while to do that, but I have been using this method for a long time, so I could erase everything and just have the graphics in about five minutes. (And I mean I get down to the pixels too)

At that point I then do a transform to try to get the size to match. Generally you will onyl be able to get either the horizontal or the vertical size to match. I would go with the vertical size. If you need to, the graphics that extend beyond the wheel wells can be moved seperately to their correct postiions. You can also strech the graphics length wise if you need to.

Once you have the correct size, you then have to worry about the color. A few ways to do this. First just select the graphics, and if they are a lite color, you can just use the hue/saturation box and colorize them to the right color. If you want a more precise color, I would take the magic wand and select the graphics, then erase what was in there, and use the paint bucket to get the color. At this point the graphics would be one complete color and just flat in texture. Now at this point, play with the transparency of the graphcs so you can see the contours and lines of the car underneath to give it a "real" feel to them.

Just a few examples of what I mean. In the below picture, I made sure to erase the graphics along the doorline and you can also see along the sideskirt the line that runs there so it looks like the graphic is actually on the car (Along with the door handle)

Two other pics...

Phew, I thought this was going to be a quick explaination?
Old 11/04/2004, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Carbon Fiber Hood Tutorial

Here is the stock picture

Now, since it is the way I do it all the time, I copy the part where the hood is and paste it in a new layer, then delete everything but the hood. (The orange is another new layer I use to put under the picture so I can see where and what I am erasing very easily.)

Now, create a new document. Deoending on the size of the picture, I would suggest a 8 by 8 pixel. Color it black, and then draw one or two lines in a dark grey. Mine looked like this...

Now, select the canvas, then go to Edit -> Define Pattern

Now go back to the original picture. You should have the main picture on the bottom possibly a layer in between (My orange layer), and then the hood itself in a third layer. At this point, I make another duplicate of the hood so you have two hood layers.

Then select the hood in one layer (I use the magice wand, select all the empty space, then control-I to inverse the selection and select the hood) Now go to Edit -> Fill -> And use the pattern at 100 percent opacity. You should now have a very flat looking hood that looks like carbon fiber like below.

Ok, so now you should have three, (Or four including the throw-away orange layer) layers. PLace them in this order, the oriignal on the bootm, then the carbon fiber, then the original hood on top. Turn them all on, and it should look like the original picture.

Now, select the top layer (The regular hood) and change the opacity to say, oh, around 60-75% The below is 60%

Now, still on that layer, go to Image -> Adjust -> Brightness/Contrast. At this point lower the brightness of the original hood that is now transparent and decrease the brightness. I actually did it all the way down to -100. Depnding on how dark you want it, you can go less, or do -100, and press ok, then go back and do it again. This is -100 below

Viola, you have a hood, that lokos like a patterned carbon fiber with the original reflections on it to make it look more real.

This is just a basic guideline, you can play with a lot of the settings to try to make it look better. Just a simple contrast tweak and...

Old 07/26/2008, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Well I figured since I was doing some other graphics stuff on the computer I would actually fixed these pictures. Mind you this way all done over four years ago using the old Photoshop, but it's something for you to look at.
Old 02/28/2012, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GS
Austin&Sarah : who are you?
IS it possible to use a graphic on another car? I'm wanting the graphic off the BMW M3 GTR on Need for Speed Most Wanted and want to see what it would look like on my 2001 Eclipse before my wife and I decide to get it painted.
Old 02/28/2012, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.jaloosk paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.
You should create a new thread with your request, and include a pic of the graphic you want, as well as a good quality pic of your vehicle.

Don't expect a vector to take to your vinyl guy though...people don't work for free, you know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/10/2012, 06:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse
aeozyalcin : who are you?
Is it possible to fix the images?
aeozyalcin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/10/2012, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
fuck em

Vehicle: TT Z
Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Mark paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.
I'm pretty sure the images are long gone. I'll be putting together a new sticky to replace this one in the upcoming week or two.
Old 10/11/2012, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Not long gone, I will actually dig around to rehost them all and update this before i leave again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Visualization > Photoshop Requests / Tests

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in