Issues with 03 GTS AUTO - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11/22/2018, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Trav13 : who are you?
Issues with 03 GTS AUTO

New to this forum. A couple weeks back I bought an 03 Eclipse 114 000km. The vehicle was sitting for a few years before I bought it. Not super mechanically inclined, but starting to notice a few issues. Wouldn't mind a bit of direction from you folks. So far the only work I have done to it was throw winter tires on it (Canadian), and install an aftermarket deck and a 350W amp for a pair of 12s. All I am trying to do is narrow the issue and potentially avoid a shop and if need be at least I may be able to steer them in the right direction

First Issue I have had and it is the biggest by far is the intermittent engine surges. No CEL. When this issue is occuring the RPM bounce up and down until almost stalling out. I need to keep my foot on the gas to stop it (it has stalled once). I don't even know where to start looking with this.

Second issue I have is the motor seems to shake the vehicle when I am stopped and the shifter is in drive. The steering wheel rattles like crazy. However when I am in nuetral the rattles dissappear. I have done a bit of research and the motor mounts could be the culprit. How would I check these? And could it be tied to my first issue?

Third issue is terrible gas milege. I got around 15L/100km which is roughly 15.7MPG(using premium). Is there anything I should check or clean no idea why she is doing this 😢

Guidence on any of these would be extremely appreciated!!
Trav13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11/23/2018, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
2003 GTZ 3.8 MT

Seventy5Kouki : who are you?
1.Unstable RPM with no code most likely the idle air control motor (iac). Get yourself a new quality one by SMP or a good used factory one. Don't cheap out on it, and it is super easy to replace. If you need one, I have a couple in the garage with low miles.

2. Yes, most likely motor mounts. Look at them with a flashlight and most likely you will see the rubber inserts broken - considering the age of the car, I'd replace all four while at it. They are not that hard to do, you can even upgrade at the same time and get ES or Prothane bushings, they are worth the extra effort.

3. At that mileage, were the sparkplugs ever replaced? I'd get new plugs (Denso or NGK) and wires (NGK) if in doubt. Next I'd check the O2 sensors and go from there.
Seventy5Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/24/2018, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eclipse aficionado

Vehicle: 370z
*Riceburner* : who are you?
^^^This. Make sure you clean the throttle body as well. My 3rd gen had to have it cleaned at least twice a year.
*Riceburner* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11/25/2018, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2 - 2003 Eclipse Spyders
dmcpilot : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy5Kouki View Post
1.Unstable RPM with no code most likely the idle air control motor (iac). Get yourself a new quality one by SMP or a good used factory one. Don't cheap out on it, and it is super easy to replace. If you need one, I have a couple in the garage with low miles.

2. Yes, most likely motor mounts. Look at them with a flashlight and most likely you will see the rubber inserts broken - considering the age of the car, I'd replace all four while at it. They are not that hard to do, you can even upgrade at the same time and get ES or Prothane bushings, they are worth the extra effort.

3. At that mileage, were the sparkplugs ever replaced? I'd get new plugs (Denso or NGK) and wires (NGK) if in doubt. Next I'd check the O2 sensors and go from there.

Hello,
You are correct. You need to replace all motor mounts not just one or two but all. Vibration will go away.
2003 spyder standard- all mine went bad. Replaced one, did not help. When I replaced all - runs smooth. They are there for a reason. Take a look with a flashlight. You will see that they are all probably torn up and just free hanging. Good luck
Ray- Fort Worth, TX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/26/2018, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I will look into all of this and keep you updated
Old 11/28/2018, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Btukwh : who are you?
It doesn't sound like you checked the engine diagnostic codes. I'd think that would be the best first step. That would tell you if you're O2 sensors are bad which would explain the mileage.

My engine mounts also failed about the same mileage. I kept the original plugs until about 130k miles. Not easy to change them. When I did they actually looked just fine.

Check the air filter too...

Best of luck.
Btukwh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/29/2018, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, here is an update. I went to change spark plugs and realized that was going to be challenging. Mind as well do sone other stuff while I am at it. Before I did anything I disconnected the battery. Idle issues immediately after. Stalled once on the way to the parts store and hovered between 300 to 400 rpm then went to 600. I predict things will go back to normal soon. Those issues that I had must have been after I did work on the stereo, I would have disconnected the battery then.

How do I run engine diagnostics? Would I get any results even if there isn't a light?
Old 11/29/2018, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

For diagnostics some places will run them for free. Pep Boys and Autozone I think. You can get an ODB2 scanner for less than $20. I have a connection for my laptop. If you're going to do your own work it's worthwhile to have a reader.

Not all of the error codes cause the check engine light to come on. The O2 sensors on my 300zx didn't cause the light to come on, but did come up on the diagnostics. I don't remember what does/doesn't on the Eclipse.

You have to pull the intake to get the back three spark plugs. You can pull one of the front spark plugs to get an idea of the condition. I doubt that's the issue, but you never know.

Best,
Old 11/29/2018, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Spark plugs changed, that is going to give me nightmares dealing with that intake. They were crispy and covered in oil. Could that mean anything or is that normal. I think there must be some sort of gasket seal that's broken or something. All 6 were the same?

Also cleaned throttle body, but it was fairly clean
Old 11/30/2018, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Idle issue is persistant. And CEL is on so it is time to get it read.
Old 11/30/2018, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

ProZak512 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav13 View Post
Spark plugs changed, that is going to give me nightmares dealing with that intake. They were crispy and covered in oil. Could that mean anything or is that normal. I think there must be some sort of gasket seal that's broken or something. All 6 were the same?

Also cleaned throttle body, but it was fairly clean
Valve cover gasket kits come with spark plug well gaskets. Pain in the butt to get everything out of the way, but oil in the plug wells will short out your spark and could be a big part of your other problems.

h t t p s : / / w w w . rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2653004&cc=1410859&jsn=340
ProZak512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/30/2018, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah I will probably get a more experienced hand to help when changing it. Thats the next step I supposed. Will let you guys know how it goes
Old 11/30/2018, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
2003 GTZ 3.8 MT

Seventy5Kouki : who are you?
Don't get intimidated by the intake manifold, if you do it enough you can get it off in ten mins in the end lol. Yes, the valve cover gaskets tend to leak after a while, and that includes the sparkplug tube seals as well. Those will cause misfires as the oil is soaking down onto the plugs, and will throw codes (P0300 etc). OBD code reader is good investment.

My failing IAC's never threw a code btw, however, those can be tested with a voltmeter. A going IAC will have a hard time maintaining idle just like you described, and you can stall out while cornering for example as you take your foot off the gas. With that said it is completely normal for a car to have some idle issues after the battery was disconnected for some time as the ecu resets.
Seventy5Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/02/2018, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Do you guys recommend any code readers?
Old 12/02/2018, 11:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Had car read with a reader. Had cylinder 1 misfire. But after reset no codes being thrown. So would this rule out 02 sensors?
Old 12/08/2018, 03:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

It might rule out the O2 sensors.

I would be worried about the condition of the spark plugs. Have you been burning oil? What is engine compression like?
Old 12/08/2018, 06:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Spark plugs we're in bad shape. Swapped all of them. But there was oil in the chambers so both valve cover gaskets need to be changed. Still getting roughly 15.2 litres per 100km. It is quite cold in Canada so that may be a factor
Old 12/08/2018, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Also could do an engine compression test I will do that when I swap gaskets
Old 04/05/2019, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey everyone. Finally months later I have done some repairs:

Timing belt
Valve cover gaskets
Spark tub gaskets
Spark plugs
FR motor mount
IACV

She stable and purrs like a kitten. Now as far as fuel economy go's we will have to see. Keep you guys posted!!

EDIT. THE GAS MILEAGE HAS GONE WAY UP ☝️

Last edited by Trav13; 04/09/2019 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04/09/2019, 08:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Efficiency is 10.3L per 100km
Or 22.8mpg how does this stack up woth you guys?
Old 04/10/2019, 10:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
Kyzaon : who are you?Kyzaon : who are you?
22.8 sounds about normal for regular city/some highway driving. I usually get about that much from commuting to and from work about half city and half highway.
Kyzaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in