2003 Eclipse GT 3.0L (Few problems) - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/21/2019, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Zach_quiros : who are you?
2003 Eclipse GT 3.0L (Few problems)

(Summary at the end if you don’t wanna read all of this) Hey guys I’m new here and have a few things I was hoping anyone could help me out with. To begin with I want to put it out there that I’ve never been much of a car guy beyond being a fan of Ferrari’s, and know close to nothing on anything. When I finally got the chance to buy my own car I looked for something sporty and customizable and found my beautiful girl, as I call her “M”. She’s a 2003 3.0L GT, she only had 40,743 miles on her when I first got her(51k now). She was kept in a garage for the last 13 years before I bought her and was driven rarely. Since I didn’t have much car knowledge, and still don’t tbh, I didn’t think about the effect of that. Cosmetically she’s in amazing shape, but since buying her I’ve had to replace the whole thermostat system under the hood which costed me $350 to get done. I’ve bought two new rims which were $300 and due to a ding on my rear quarter panel( hit gf’s sisters car) I had to get it repainted and fixed for $600. I just spent $585 on an all new set of falken tires and $350 on new headlights and taillights as well as $60 on new turn signal lights and reverse lights (I’m fixing to drop $100 on some angel eye foglights as well). On top of this I just bought a W-wing body kit with some fenders for $1049 which I’m dropping $1500 to get painted in about a month and a half when they come in from Wings West. Now I know that’s a lot to read through but I’ve been dropping a lot cosmetically and have about another $3000 I want to do cosmetically before working on the car underneath. What I’ve recently run into is a cracked dashboard that rattles and the sound of sloshing water that sounds like it’s coming from behind the dash. It sounds like water splashing around whenever I rev my engine or accelerate fast. It’s annoying and I’m OCD and have to get rid of it and fix the dash as well. In addition the heat in my car takes forever to build up and doesn’t stay consistent and only works on my three air ducts on the passenger side. The two on the driver side sometimes blows a bit of warm air but mostly cold air. I Don’t know if the new thermostat or the cracked dash, or even the water that splashing around is causing this but I want my car in the same shape I bought it last May. Lastly as well, my car has been having an issue with a gassy smell upon cold starts. About a month after getting the car I started to smell it but only for 5 secs after I started the car and my windows were rolled down, then over time it lasted longer and then after I got a res delete and a muffler delete it got slightly worse and now it’ll last 15secs and even seap into the car a bit but I circulate it so I don’t smell it. On top of this I’ve been averaging 19-21mpg and all I do is drive highway and live in Atlanta. There’s no leakage that’s visible after I park my car and the smell seems to be coming from the driver side rear end behind the tire or at least that’s where it’s strongest. Now I talked with a mechanic at Havoline and he bets it’s my purge valve and charcoal canister because it sat in a garage for so long, which is apart of the emission solenoid system I believe. But with parts and labor he said I’m looking at $1200. I’d hate to drop that kind of money and it not fix the problem. So to recap I have a cracked dash, heating issue (just replaced the thermostat system under the hood), water sound that seems to be coming from under the dash, and a gassy smell that’s only gotten stronger over time. I know this is a long a** message but I do apologize in advance. I’m 19 and am in love with my car and work as a server so I’ve been lucky enough to have money to spend on my car but I’ve had plenty of little issues here and there and with this car and model I’ve had tons of problems finding solutions. Any help will be highly appreciated!!! Ps: if any of y’all live in Georgia and know a good place to go to that can help me please let me know. Also if your curious I paid $6500 originally
Zach_quiros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/01/2019, 02:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

arcticracer : who are you?
Water sloshing and lack of heat means you likely just need to top off the coolant and possibly burp the system of air.
arcticracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/02/2019, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
V8 > 3G

Vehicle: racecar
skinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to skinnyGT
$350 for a thermostat system? A new thermostat is $10.

$1500 to have a body kit painted?

$1200 for a purge valve?

Dude, you're being taken advantage of.
skinnyGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in