Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm an IT Infrastructure manager. While I was out on my cruise in December, my company moved to a larger facility. In the four months before the move I was responsible for designing and implementing a new datacenter. Finally, after over a month in the new site, I'm proud enough of the room to show it off a bit.

Here we go:

Row 1, Front (Cold Aisle):

Row 1, Rear (Hot Aisle):

Row 2, Rear (Hot Aisle):

Row 2, Front (Cold Aisle):

Row 3, Front (Cold Aisle):

Horizontal cabling from the LAN room to the desks on one of the floors:

Left; HP EVA 8100 with 68.8TB of data storage capacity (on it's way out, to be replaced...). Middle; APC 10kw In-Row Cooling unit (I have 4 of these). Right; HP MSL Tape Library stack. 150 slots for tapes (800GB each) plus 10 LTO-3 fiber-attached tape drives.

What's going in: A 46TB NetApp SAN with deduplication! :ndance: Some pics:

Goddam this thing is sexy...

This is part of my ESX vSphere farm. I have three of these HP C7000 chassis. Dedicated to the vSphere farm, there are 10 servers (7 pictured) with the following specs:

Quad hexacore Intel 2.4 CPU's, 64GB RAM, 4x Gig-E ports, 2x 4GB Fiber SAN ports. That's a total of 240 CPU cores, 640GB RAM, 40 Ethernet ports and 20 SAN ports. My farm is fucking FAST!!

Here are my core switching units; Dual Cisco 6xxx series switches with HSRP for redundancy. We also run a full Cisco VOIP system too.

More infrastructure shots:

80kva UPS with 30 minutes of battery backup:

UPS is supplied by two separate transformers for redundancy:

A Maintenance bypass switch for the UPS to keep the transformers independent:

A pre-action fire supression system:

So that's the server room that Jaloosk built. Questions, whatever...LMK!

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
You must be rolling in the cheddars, son. That's super-sexy.

But whomever did your cabling - at the front, I mean - should be kicked in the dick. I couldn't deal with that in my server room.

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cat image?
:lol:

Most IT guys you'll meet have a very...unique...sense of humour. In our server room, we also have the "After Hours Decision-Making Cube of Liberation". Basically a large duct-taped dice, with the following sides:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Maybe
4. Let's go for beer & wings
5. Time to apply at Tim Hortons
6. Time to apply at Burger King (it may just be the best job you've ever had)

You must be rolling in the cheddars, son. That's super-sexy.

But whomever did your cabling - at the front, I mean - should be kicked in the dick. I couldn't deal with that in my server room.
lol I work for an insurance company. :D

Cabling was WAY worse than that. That's what happens when an infrastructure move is performed when the most meticulous guy in the place (da boss) is out cruising in the Caribbean. Its getting cleaned up, slowly but surely. Two weeks ago we couldn't even close the fucking doors on the back of the racks because of the shitty cabling. I had the guys clean that up two weekends ago, and they did a pretty admirable job. Next up is fixing the fiber cabling for the switch trunk.

To their credit, they moved that entire server room, migrated from VPN to MPLS, implemented a new VOIP system, and moved 350 people (& their computers) to 4 separate floors in TWO days. We were up & running, ready for business Sunday afternoon. Something's gotta give with a timeframe that tight, and the cabling 'prettiness' was one of those things.

What are you replacing the 8100 with?

I agree with Mike that cabling needs some cleaning up.
The 8100 is being replaced with the NetApp unit. Fucking sexiest technology evar. You cannot begin to fathom the awesomeness of the NetApp appliance. What VMWare did to the server room, NetApp has done to the SAN. Definitely look into this technology if you're looking to upgrade your SAN anytime soon. :yesway::yesway:

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts

·
Super Asian Invasion
4,826 Posts
Just a quick question, how do you get a job doing that?

I'm finding that it's really difficult to find a job in IT for entry level spots.

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Fuckin' A. :yesway: I'm a buy one of those. :lol:

I do have NetBotz cameras, flood and particle sensors though. :D
:lol: they work great. I bought a couple for my parents. They put one by the hot water heater . We tested it. It is loud

They are pretty small

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick question, how do you get a job doing that?

I'm finding that it's really difficult to find a job in IT for entry level spots.
Well, I've been working for the same company for 10 years. Jobs were a dime a dozen when I was looking (pre-internet bubble bursting) I am just fortunate to be able to keep myself relevant and valuable to my employer.

I'm hiring an entry-level to intermediate Network Administrator in Montreal; Do you speak the French? :lol:

They really work great and are cheap. Everyone should have a few. Under the sink, by the boiler/heater etc...
I'm thinking of a few strategic spots where this would work well. With a house full of 5 boys, I'm thinking a few around the toilet to catch the careless would come in handy. :lol:

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can my company recycle your old shit and pay you back percentage of recovery?
Sure thing...if you've got no problem getting it across the border...I've got a shit ton worth of HP p-Class chassis and BL35p blades that I'm DYING to get rid of.

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
I'm thinking of a few strategic spots where this would work well. With a house full of 5 boys, I'm thinking a few around the toilet to catch the careless would come in handy. :lol:
:lol::yesway:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts