Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone always makes fun of my eclipse because i lost to a 99 grand prix gt. My car is the sporty and i had three other people in my car. he only had one and my traction control was on...he pretty much owned me...is my car just shit or does all the extra weight and the traction really have to do with it...i know eclipses are slow but i didnt think that i would get whooped by a car that everyone and their brothers have...

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
:scratch:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lost power

Well if you got it used you have to go back and see who had it before you and if they had dogged it. I have had my gt eclipse for three years now and i can tell that i have lost power since i have had it, but i do have a slightly blown head gasket now, and that is a source of lost power.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya...the people that had it before me were older from florida...the car had 45,000 miles when i bought it and the grand prix has like 145,000...i still dont understand how i got whooped...im hopin its the traction control because i havent raced anyone without it in...

·
Registered
29 Posts
The eclipse should be slightly faster than the other car but it all really depends on your takeoff and shifting, whether you used auto or sport mode. Basically you could lose to a 4cyl with ease if you were horrible off the line or you could dominate a faster car if your were much better than the other person off the line.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya this is when i first got the car so i didnt really wanna push it at all...can i really hold the brake and the gas to get better acceleration without hurting the car as long as i dont hold it for long?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea it should be fine, the actually pushing it to 6200 RPMs will be harder on the car than that. But if you wanna get the best times outta your car and the most hp then you would want to push all the way to 6200 RPMs. Also when i do this, i manually shift with sporty just because its funner

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
the grandprix gt has traction control, they have the option to turn it off and on we dont..lol
Also the grand prixs for the car, isnt all that slow compared to the eclipse. I like the 3.8's
With and intake and exhaust, maybe a few mods the grandprixs rock. I know i use to own one. They definetly arent the fastest thing out there but its got enough power for the car itself.

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
The GPGT is a solid 15-second car. High 14s with some relatively easy bolt-on mods.

Add in your slushbox and passengers and it's no surprise at all that you were beaten.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya i have to try and race him again when its just me and i actually push it in the beginning, i will also take out the traction control fuse

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I think the 3G is way too heavy to be tryng to race someone while you have passengers in the car (hopefully you are at the track anyway....). I notice a big difference in my car's power/accel if I have just one passenger. Then again, I probably have 100-200lbs of aftermarket BS in the trunk too. Also, you don't mention his or your mods.

I'll have to check into the traction control stuff. This is the 1st I am hearing of it... I figured if it had something like that then I would have noticed while installing my LSD. :dunno:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
both cars were completly stock and we both had 2 twelves in the trunk...so right there is probably another 60 pounds for each car...and those grand prix's have to weigh more that the 3g's...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts