Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’m new here, and been getting into the 3GS recently about 2 months exactly I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Convertible V6 3.0. A few problems I’m running into and can’t seem to knock it out. The car starts right up when the engine is cooled. But as it warms up it begins to hesitate, and it feels like there’s almost a dead zone when I push the pedal about half throttle. If I push on the accelerator too fast it Boggs out and occasionally stalls, if I take it slow ( most) of the time it’ll go fairly smoothly. Then I kill the car and it takes 10+ seconds to fire up (once it’s warm obviously) the biggest problem here is the car not starting right up when warm, I think the problems are linked. I have put a new gas cap on, new MAF sensor. I cannot figure this one out! Please get back to me if someone has any ideas, anything helps!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Try doing a tune up and change the Distributor.

are you getting a CEL at all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has a full tune up- new plugs/wires new cap&rotor fresh oil change. And cel? I’m not good with acronyms.
real quick I’m going to fix this.Check engine light- for that was dumb as hell.🤦🏼‍♂️ Uhm occasionally I do but I’ve been doing a lot of work wiring so the battery has came undone a lot recently. But it takes a few days for thecheck engine light to resurface. Took it to oreillys to get it scanned and they couldn’t get it to scan my car. When I first go it I got it scanned and through a maf/map sensor code fuel trim bank 2 code evap system code and a cyl 6 misfire code.

·
1,018 Posts
I'd say stop messing with it for now and see what codes come up. The tune up probably fixed the misfire and maybe the fuel trims if you're lucky, but the maf/map sensor codes are probably still there and indicate a problem with that circuit. Not going to know much more until you find out what codes it's still throwing. Once you figure out the code numbers, look up in the factory service manual for what to check. Manuals are stickied at the top of the 3g general forum.

Also, save yourself some trouble and just buy yourself your own code scanner so you don't have to take it the auto parts store. They can be had for $30-$50 and will save you so much time. I got mine from Autel. Base model is all you need for reading and erasing codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say stop messing with it for now and see what codes come up. The tune up probably fixed the misfire and maybe the fuel trims if you're lucky, but the maf/map sensor codes are probably still there and indicate a problem with that circuit. Not going to know much more until you find out what codes it's still throwing. Once you figure out the code numbers, look up in the factory service manual for what to check. Manuals are stickied at the top of the 3g general forum.

Also, save yourself some trouble and just buy yourself your own code scanner so you don't have to take it the auto parts store. They can be had for $30-$50 and will save you so much time. I got mine from Autel. Base model is all you need for reading and erasing codes.
Well I drove the car all day today, still no codes. Yet I’m still continuing to have the same issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After 2 days of driving I finally got a check engine light to come on, took it to oreillys and got it scanned. All I had come up was a cyl 5 misfire code. No more information on it.

·
1,018 Posts
That's a good start. Inspect your fuel and ignition systems regarding that cylinder. See why that cylinder is misfiring. Might not immediately fix your starting issue, but who knows. Might lead you to the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok so I’m new here, and been getting into the 3GS recently about 2 months exactly I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Convertible V6 3.0. A few problems I’m running into and can’t seem to knock it out. The car starts right up when the engine is cooled. But as it warms up it begins to hesitate, and it feels like there’s almost a dead zone when I push the pedal about half throttle. If I push on the accelerator too fast it Boggs out and occasionally stalls, if I take it slow ( most) of the time it’ll go fairly smoothly. Then I kill the car and it takes 10+ seconds to fire up (once it’s warm obviously) the biggest problem here is the car not starting right up when warm, I think the problems are linked. I have put a new gas cap on, new MAF sensor. I cannot figure this one out! Please get back to me if someone has any ideas, anything helps!
Sounds like a bad coil

·
Registered
173 Posts
Check compression, my GTS did the same thing even after a full tune up. My pressures are just below threshold on bank 1 and the car will run but, after warming up, it stalls and is hard to restart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this thread is old but if you haven't gotten it figured out by now, check your injector harness as a possible cause for misfire. I had to replace the connector on my #4 injector due to bare wires right at the seals. Also, for the hard start at temp issue, try cleaning out your throttle body. Carbon can build up around the butterfly in there. When it gets hot, it becomes sticky. I may be off base as I am admittedly not an expert on Mitsubishi's, but the throttle body issue is common on all cars these days due to egr systems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts